Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

Daz

LE
That could be paid for by parental contributions. With a sort of creche built into the school for those who need it.

I always feel a little sad to see the cars of professional child wranglers lined up at the school gates, usually with rainbows on the cars with names like 'little acorns' dropping off at knock on and picking up at knock off.

What's the point in having kids if you are working to much to enjoy the experience?

It is pretty difficult to support a family on one wage these days.

Nobody should get 'something for nothing'.

If you want dole, fine. But there must be a 'cost' to it. Be that turning up at the dole office every day or picking up litter from around and about.

Before @Nick Dipples gets hysterically weepy like the absolute belter that he is, obviously not everyone would be expected to do that. Folk with no arms and legs, for example, would probably not be able to pick up litter.

They haven't got the staff for all dolies to sign on everyday, let alone make them litterpick. They can't even get you in to sign on every 2 weeks, as it used to be.

They haven't got the staff for all dolies to sign on everyday, let alone make them litterpick. They can't even get you in to sign on every 2 weeks, as it used to be.
Give them cards with chip and pin. They just come in and scan the card, machine takes a picture and fingerprint. Bob's your uncle.
Money goes in 24 hrs later.

It is pretty difficult to support a family on one wage these days.
Depends on how much you earn and how much you think that you should be allowed to spend

Dredd

LE
To be honest, universal free school meals isn't a bad idea. Ban this 'packed lunch' nonsense.

You turn up, you get educated, you eat lunch with your peers at a table, with cutlery. Lunch could be a nutritious affair including mid-am and pm snacks ensuring that the 7 a day veg and fruit target is achieved.

And if that was what was going to happen, then I would agree with you.

But it isn't. So I don't.

TAFKA

Old-Salt
I asked the local council for information, it's the amount they use when accessing
rent or council tax rebates.
And before you ask,
I don't qualify for either
I misspent my life working

Genuine question.

Does that have to cover all household bills or is it just for food with rent and council tax etc covered by other benefits?

anglo

LE
Genuine question.

Does that have to cover all household bills or is it just for food with rent and council tax etc covered by other benefits?
They take your total income {weekly} subtract £280 from it, what is left is used in their formula to work out
council tax and rent rebate. That's total income for a couple.

Chef

LE
They take your total income {weekly} subtract £280 from it, what is left is used in their formula to work out
Don't forget the 85p.

They won't.

In Germany the Selbstbehalt (The figure from which all fines, benefits, payments etc. are calculated) is EUR1180,- per person per month. That's about £1,000...Each.

I spoke to an old mate today about the food boxes that Marcus Rashford has been bumping his gums about. Interestingly, my old buddy (ex-RLC officer, did catering and transport, and an enthusiastic Tory Party supporter), said that Rashford had a point and that, basically, there was c.£5.00 worth of food in the box (he was particularly scathing of cutting peppers and tomatoes in half and wrapping them in cling film).

His view was that the providers were profiteering to make up for the loss of revenue from other contracts and that if they had been slightly more generous - he suggested half-a-dozen apples and a packet of milk chocolate digestives - then the row would have largely gone away (he was a kid who grew up on free school meals in Liverpool).

Last edited:
1610557289716.png
1610557584461.png

Here are samples of the food parcels. Note that this is meant to feed a kid for a week. About a fiver's worth of food, for which we, the tax-payers, are being charged £30 by robbing, profiteering scum.

Chef

LE
I spoke to an old mate today about the food boxes that Marcus Rashford has been bumping his gums about. Interestingly, my old buddy (ex-RLC officer, did catering and transport, and an enthusiastic Tory Party supporter), said that Rashford had a point and that, basically, there was c.£5.00 worth of food in the box (he was particularly scathing of cutting peppers and tomatoes in half and wrapping them in cling film).

His view was that the providers were profiteering to make up for the loss of revenue from other contracts and that if they had been slightly more generous - he suggested half-a-dozen apples and a packet of milk chocolate digestives - then the row would have largely gone away (he was a kid who grew up on free school meals in Liverpool).
By the time everyone's skimmed a little off the £30 there's probably not much left.

It's not a charity you know.

Daz

LE

Latest Threads