Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

6 Gallon Pot

Old-Salt
**** me, that's a massive change! When i was in training at teh Tower Block at St Omer, everything we created in the training kitchens went down to the main restaurants where we recruits ate. You learnt to steer clear of the stuff you'd produced :mrgreen:
The food was fucking awful, but the garnishes were top notch.

I’ve spoke to people who work at food banks. They tell me it’s referral only now due to so many pisstakers. Every ****** is after a free life she said, and it was not the stereotypical ‘natives’ who were doing it.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve spoke to people who work at food banks. They tell me it’s referral only now due to so many pisstakers. Every ****** is after a free life she said, and it was not the stereotypical ‘natives’ who were doing it.

That seems to be typical of the whole "I want! Gimme" society which seems to be the done thing in UK now.

It's a funny old world where high profile whingeing causes the government of the day to sit up and feed the kids of parents who won't.

It's even funnier when those who call on HMG to "do the right thing" get their way and then slag HMG off for performing a 'U turn' and 'burying bad news' whilst the headlines are distracted.

So now "doing the right thing" is actually bad?

Boris grrrr.

I thought it was always by referral, not just on your shopping list after Lidl but before Tescos.

That seems to be typical of the whole "I want! Gimme" society which seems to be the done thing in UK now.

Any parent claiming not to be able to feed their kids should I’ve their circumstances assessed as to why they can’t, and should undergo some form of nutrition training to continue receiving my tax money. “Here you go, we’ve taught you how to make cheap food, given you the money, and the skills, now if you come begging again, we’ll take your income/kids off you”

Being tasked with raising kids should not be a right, it should be a privilege.

Any parent claiming not to be able to feed their kids should I’ve their circumstances assessed as to why they can’t, and should undergo some form of nutrition training to continue receiving my tax money. “Here you go, we’ve taught you how to make cheap food, given you the money, and the skills, now if you come begging again, we’ll take your income/kids off you”

Being tasked with raising kids should not be a right, it should be a privilege.
Who on earth is going to want to take on the thankless task of trying to get Waynette Chav to attempt to cook?

I understand that, if a child under a certain age is seen by a dentist and requires fillings / extraction due to decay, the dentist is obliged to make a social services referral? If that is the case, maybe social services should be the ones involved if food bank is required.
It could possibly help if it turns out the shortness of money is due to £50 per week being put aside to blow on scratchcards...etc

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I understand that, if a child under a certain age is seen by a dentist and requires fillings / extraction due to decay, the dentist is obliged to make a social services referral? If that is the case, maybe social services should be the ones involved if food bank is required.
It could possibly help if it turns out the shortness of money is due to £50 per week being put aside to blow on scratchcards...etc

I am afraid that you are misinformed.

There's long been a debate as to exactly what level of dental decay in a child constitutes neglect but nothing has ever been agreed.

In my board alone we see over 400 paediatric GAs a year let alone those kids seen in the surgery.

In Scotland this year's NDIP report (based on school dental inspections last school year) shows a decay free rate in 6year olds at 73.5%.
So a quarter of 6 year olds have a rotten tooth (and because of childsmile our figures are better than England)

However what is interesting is when you compare high to low social economic groups.
86.9% decay free in least deprived compared with 58.1% in most deprived.

When we started childsmile in early 2000s average was 45% decay free

(it's a cartoon)
Im impressed

He managed to get in every Guardian readers stereo type of a Daily mail readers reaction to the proposal.
Every Guardian readers stereotype of a Tory MP

and all without ever actually touching even by accident upon any of the actual arguments made. That takes some skill

Truxx

LE
The 400Million is split, 170 Million given to councils to 'feed' 'starving' children. The remainder is Healthy Start Benefits increase of £1.15 from next April for a year.

The first then is almost certainly money already allocated to councils which those same councils will be obliged to use on kids not other council priorities whilst the other is probably already in the pipeline so not really a u turn more a bit of admin.

But grrrrr anyway.

The first then is almost certainly money already allocated to councils which those same councils will be obliged to use on kids not other council priorities whilst the other is probably already in the pipeline so not really a u turn more a bit of admin.

But grrrrr anyway.
Yeah but why was it not publicised by the (hawk, spit) Torree government led by that toffee nosed Bullingdon boy snob?Eh! Eh! Eh! GGgggrrrrr!!!!

RTU'd

War Hero
If universal, can I get a nice cooked lunch & pudding for free?
As surely if only for children that's age discrimination?

I am afraid that you are misinformed.

There's long been a debate as to exactly what level of dental decay in a child constitutes neglect but nothing has ever been agreed.

In my board alone we see over 400 paediatric GAs a year let alone those kids seen in the surgery.

In Scotland this year's NDIP report (based on school dental inspections last school year) shows a decay free rate in 6year olds at 73.5%.
So a quarter of 6 year olds have a rotten tooth (and because of childsmile our figures are better than England)

However what is interesting is when you compare high to low social economic groups.
86.9% decay free in least deprived compared with 58.1% in most deprived.

When we started childsmile in early 2000s average was 45% decay free

Have you noticed any improvement in kids gnashers since the sugar tax on drinks?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have you noticed any improvement in kids gnashers since the sugar tax on drinks?

As stated above we've had a steady rise in decay free so hard to say exactly what it's down to.
2018 71% decay free
2020 74% decay free

Hard to find exactly comparable data for England as they survey different ages.
2017 5years old 77% decay free
2014 3year olds 88%% decay free.
Basically 12% of 3 year olds in England already have visible tooth decay, on average 3 teeth affected.

However the difference in 5year olds between least and most deprived is again marked.
Although the average is 23.3% with decay, it varies from 13.6% with decay in the least deprived to 33.7% with decay for the most deprived areas.

You can also compare various ethic groups.
Eastern European have a decay rate of 49.4%. More than double national average.
However Black is lower than the average at 19.6%.

Data from UK Government 2017

However the difference in 5year olds between least and most deprived is again marked.
Although the average is 23.3% with decay, it varies from 13.6% with decay in the least deprived to 33.7% with decay for the most deprived areas.

I would suggest if people cant be arsed feeding their kids they wont be buying them toothpaste either.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I would suggest if people cant be arsed feeding their kids they wont be buying them toothpaste either.

We give them toothpaste.

Like many things it's multifactorial.

Toothbrushing is only part of it.

What they eat and when they eat it are also a major factor.

Truxx

LE
We give them toothpaste.

Like many things it's multifactorial.

Toothbrushing is only part of it.

What they eat and when they eat it are also a major factor.
There were occasions in my childhood where I was so hungry I tried a mouthful of toothpaste washed down with tap water drunk direct from the tap.

Can I have an OBE?

Johned

Old-Salt
Im impressed

He managed to get in every Guardian readers stereo type of a Daily mail readers reaction to the proposal.
Every Guardian readers stereotype of a Tory MP

and all without ever actually touching even by accident upon any of the actual arguments made. That takes some skill
I don''t think he is a particularly good cartoonist. His work made no impact on me, it was too much to take in. A cartoon should be short, snappy and have impact. This poor effort was none of those things. Too clever by half. There again I hail from the skilled lower working class but the respectable element. Typical Guardianista!

Latest Threads