Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Parents: “School uniform is so expensive”
Head of school: ”All new year 7 get a free blazer”
Fitting and handing out evening:
“It’s too small, have you got XXXL?”
”The sleeves are too long, can you take them up”
(etc etc)
Later...
’non uniform day’, pay £1 to charity, wear your street clothes to school:
”why do we have to pay £1?” (it’s been on the bulletin for weeks)
Mr Nimbus: “It’s for the charity you chose and so you can ponce around in your £100 trainers, £90 jeans, £50 football shirt and mock the kids who are wearing uniform because they really can’t afford it.”
Uniform is a great equaliser. It's just a shame that the progressive types regard it as regimenting.

Reading something the other day about the businesses round here handing out free meals.
Seems the local chippies, bakeries etc have stock flying out the doors as parents arrive with their destitute kids to claim their free meals.
On the other hand those offering a packed lunch of a sandwich or two, some fruit, a choccy bar etc are having difficulty shifting the stock.

Beggars can be choosers, after all.

Uniform should be purchased from the school shop to ensure conformity and non-uniform days banned.

If they want to raise money they can have a sponsored silence or a day of fasting like we used to do for Live AId...

Both would be positive for most school kids I've seen recently.

All sounds depressingly familiarly. I'm always astonished when in the footy/rugby boots section in sportsdirect when I overhear some of the demands by brats on their pathetic parents for the latest trainers/footy boots. We make do with own brand/cheap brand or ebay.

I always invited my kids to contribute their pocket money/ paper round wage to the cost of basic kit I was buying them if they wanted Gucci stuff.

All sounds depressingly familiarly. I'm always astonished when in the footy/rugby boots section in sportsdirect when I overhear some of the demands by brats on their pathetic parents for the latest trainers/footy boots. We make do with own brand/cheap brand or ebay.
I bet the cool kids laugh and point at children for being pikey.

Back on the topic of food, I popped into Watchfield Co-op (anyone who has ever spent any time at the Defence Academy will be more than familiar with it) and was truly astounded at the amount of reduced food going to waste.

There was enough there that a half-decent chef could have knocked out an evening meal for 30 people and had enough left over to knock up horror bags for the following day. It's a real pity that a local food charity can't do something useful with it.

Uniform is a great equaliser. It's just a shame that the progressive types regard it as regimenting.
It is, (and also technically unenforceable) and might be the only serviceable set of clothes for some kids... Non uniform days in schools can easily raise a grand, but are deeply unpopular with staff as the kid’s behaviour is usually dreadful.

The pikey kids used to get laughed at for claiming free school meals.

It's the on trend thing now.
I remember that free school meal kids at my school used to collect little pink cards, i think with their names on, from the secretaries' office.

The cards would be arranged, about a dozen maybe, on the little shelf of the window between the office and the entrance hall.

Now schools would probably need a couple of 6ft table GS.

It is, (and also technically unenforceable) and might be the only serviceable set of clothes for some kids... Non uniform days in schools can easily raise a grand, but are deeply unpopular with staff as the kid’s behaviour is usually dreadful.
Are schools there to raise money for charity or to educate the kids?

4(T)

LE
It's a real pity that a local food charity can't do something useful with it.

Perhaps there is a health liability or negative PR issue associated with the supermarket/charity giving "out of date" food to people? I think thats why supermarkets arrange donations of fresh/in-date produce.

IIRC a lot of "waste" goes to animal feed and other commercial uses, so its at least utilised somewhere.

IIRC the defence catering school in worthy down could only donate certain stuff to charity, the remainder got ground up in a super composter - I always thought was particularly wasteful - IIRC was a combination of H&S and HMRC regulations, or other such bureaucracy

Are schools there to raise money for charity or to educate the kids?
My school was ‘twinned’ with a village school in Africa via a local couple who had been working with them for years. Through fundraising activities, (Like after school baking competitions) a library was built in the school and stocked, no one got a Mercedes, and kids on both sides learned about each other’s culture. Kids from some of the most deprived communities in the area got a look at real poverty and hardship, and realised that their lives actually weren’t as shït as they thought. This is known as a ‘Good Learning Outcome’...

Last edited:
And to teach the kids basic skills, that they can't be arrsed to do themselves.
THis - you may have seen me posting elsewhere about the politics of victimhood and the right to be individual. Add the two together and you completely lose any sense of collective responsibility. I'd say that the UK must be near the bottom of the world league table when it comes to collective/societal responsibility. I'd assess that several failed states have a greater sense of collective responsibility than whole sectors of UK.

THis - you may have seen me posting elsewhere about the politics of victimhood and the right to be individual. Add the two together and you completely lose any sense of collective responsibility. I'd say that the UK must be near the bottom of the world league table when it comes to collective/societal responsibility. I'd assess that several failed states have a greater sense of collective responsibility than whole sectors of UK.
You are part of an organisation that treats grown men (and women) like children. And the more you treat them like children the more they will act like children.
In the wider society if people constantly have the state help them, then they constantly expect the state to help them.

On the subject of No Uniform days, I've long been of the opinion that they should be replaced with Hit A Child day.

Not your own. Obvs. Christ! that's just plain brutal.

. . . no, the format would be along the lines of each parent is offered the chance to rent a baseball bat for (say) a tenner. This is then issued to your child as they enter Assembly. As the Head Teacher enters, each lucky child with a bat gets to belay the shite out of the child to his/her immediate left.

Once the Head has made it to the lectern and presses a button, 5" nails spring out from the handles of the bats.

This signals that the event is now closed.

On the subject of No Uniform days, I've long been of the opinion that they should be replaced with Hit A Child day.

Not your own. Obvs. Christ! that's just plain brutal.

. . . no, the format would be along the lines of each parent is offered the chance to rent a baseball bat for (say) a tenner. This is then issued to your child as they enter Assembly. As the Head Teacher enters, each lucky child with a bat gets to belay the shite out of the child to his/her immediate left.

Once the Head has made it to the lectern and presses a button, 5" nails spring out from the handles of the bats.

This signals that the event is now closed.
Annual 'non-uniform purge' day?

Or interschool competition based on the hunger games.

The more 'demerits' a child has the greater the chance of winning the 'draw'.

Or just select a class at random and ship them off to an island, battle-royale stylee.

Latest Threads