Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

endure

GCM
Are you saying that the fragrant Victoria looks like a horse?
toe-the-line.jpg

syrup

LE
Plenty of that in these parts.

Which is a bit odd seeing as how the council/schools are already providing lunch meals.

There is a charitable element to tax calculations, and it is decent enough publicity, but other than that I am unsure of any business advantage.

Reading something the other day about the businesses round here handing out free meals.
Seems the local chippies, bakeries etc have stock flying out the doors as parents arrive with their destitute kids to claim their free meals.
On the other hand those offering a packed lunch of a sandwich or two, some fruit, a choccy bar etc are having difficulty shifting the stock.

syrup

LE
Corbyn would have handed that lot out without pandemic happening. He pretty much said he was 'right' (i.e. that he would have done so) when emergency measures were announced.

He would have ruined us, make no mistake.

I wonder if Corbyn will donate any of the money that people are sending him as part of his fighting fund against Sir Kneel a lot suspending him from the party.
It's about £350K so far that'll feed a lot of kids.

I wonder if Corbyn will donate any of the money that people are sending him as part of his fighting fund against Sir Kneel a lot suspending him from the party.
It's about £350K so far that'll feed a lot of kids.
I chipped in £3.

Agreed, it was several years ago but was probably the Ancient Romans equivalent of free entry to the Circus Maximus AND the Colosseum for life for the entertainment value.

cam net

Old-Salt
Reading something the other day about the businesses round here handing out free meals.
Seems the local chippies, bakeries etc have stock flying out the doors as parents arrive with their destitute kids to claim their free meals.
On the other hand those offering a packed lunch of a sandwich or two, some fruit, a choccy bar etc are having difficulty shifting the stock.
Bingo, on the money.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I wonder how much the school uniform clothing grant is worth
I paid £84 for a school blazer and skirt alone for the daughter

Around £100 in vouchers.
We don't get it but to kit Tiny Miss F was
£18 for 4 pairs trousers
£12 for 4 polo shirts
From supermarket.

School Sweatshirts
£33 for 3.

Indoor shoes
£9

Presently guidance due to covid is clean every day however her yoghurt for lunch usually ensures that anyway!

But uniform grant will cover basics providing that they don't grow too much during the year!

Around £100 in vouchers.
£18 for 4 pairs trousers
£12 for 4 polo shirts
From supermarket.

School Sweatshirts
£33 for 3.

Indoor shoes
£9

Presently guidance due to covid is clean every day however her yoghurt for lunch usually ensures that anyway!

But uniform grant will cover basics providing that they don't grow too much during the year!
If you share the load with another family is pretty good.

You don't really need four pairs of trousers and shirts or three sweatshirts for one kid.

And always buy large at the start of the year!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you share the load with another family is pretty good.

You don't really need four pairs of trousers and shirts or three sweatshirts for one kid.

And always buy large at the start of the year!
You do if it's a clean set every day!

Supermarkets sell the stuff in twos.

We tried with 2 sets, but 3 is much more feasible.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That's a lot of clothes cluttering the place up though.

We just used to wash kit every 2-3 days.

As I said current school rules are clean every day.

Around £100 in vouchers.
£18 for 4 pairs trousers
£12 for 4 polo shirts
From supermarket.

School Sweatshirts
£33 for 3.

Indoor shoes
£9

over a £grand each here...but that's the price you pay for independent, with various sports kits, Sunday best, proper shoes, various sports footwear etc. I'm not complaining - it was our choice.

Although I am always astonished when big Brenda from Barnsley is on the news every September whining about £30 for her kids new school outfit....the kids need to be clothed anyway and I'd assess a couple of polyester shirts, sweatshirts and trousers from Tescos are cheaper than normal clothes anyway?

Last edited:
over a £grand each here...but that's the price you pay for independent, with various sports kits, Sunday best, proper shoes, various sports footwear etc. I'm not complaining - it was our choice.

Although I am always astonished when big Brenda from Barnsley is on the news every September whining about £30 for her kids new school outfit....the kids need to be clothed anyway and I'd assess a couple of polyester shirts, sweatshirts and trousers from Tescos are cheaper than normal clothes anyway?
Parents: “School uniform is so expensive”
Head of school: ”All new year 7 get a free blazer”
Fitting and handing out evening:
“It’s too small, have you got XXXL?”
”The sleeves are too long, can you take them up”
(etc etc)
Later...
’non uniform day’, pay £1 to charity, wear your street clothes to school:
”why do we have to pay £1?” (it’s been on the bulletin for weeks)
Mr Nimbus: “It’s for the charity you chose and so you can ponce around in your £100 trainers, £90 jeans, £50 football shirt and mock the kids who are wearing uniform because they really can’t afford it.”

Parents: “School uniform is so expensive”
Head of school: ”All new year 7 get a free blazer”
Fitting and handing out evening:
“It’s too small, have you got XXXL?”
”The sleeves are too long, can you take them up”
(etc etc)
Later...
’non uniform day’, pay £1 to charity, wear your street clothes to school:
”why do we have to pay £1?” (it’s been on the bulletin for weeks)
Mr Nimbus: “It’s for the charity you chose and so you can ponce around in your £100 trainers, £90 jeans, £50 football shirt and mock the kids who are wearing uniform because they really can’t afford it.”
All sounds depressingly familiarly. I'm always astonished when in the footy/rugby boots section in sportsdirect when I overhear some of the demands by brats on their pathetic parents for the latest trainers/footy boots. We make do with own brand/cheap brand or ebay.

Latest Threads