Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

You start to get an idea of the magnitude of the undertaking and of the cost.

Brilliant, just not in the way that you thought :) :)

I read upthread the magical sum of £ 20 million this Universal free school meals would cost. A piffling amount in the grand scheme of things, and I don't think there would be many that would argue that point.

BUT - There has always got to be a ****ing BUT :):)

Boris Johnson’s food tsar said last night that the government had a “moral obligation” to stop disadvantaged children going hungry as he announced plans for a £1.2 billion programme to help those most in need.
The proposals include a holiday activity and food programme costing £500 million a year, a £100 million healthy food voucher scheme and a £670 million extension of the free school meals programme.

And I will be willing to bet good money that this proposal has, by some strange accounting quirk forgot to add a premium of around 25% - 40% that will be needed to take into account providing Kosher / Halal / Vegan and any other weird and wonderful eating habits.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

I read upthread the magical sum of £ 20 million this Universal free school meals would cost. A piffling amount in the grand scheme of things, and I don't think there would be many that would argue that point.

And I will be willing to bet good money that this proposal has, by some strange accounting quirk forgot to add a premium of around 25% - 40% that will be needed to take into account providing Kosher / Halal / Vegan and any other weird and wonderful eating habits.
And just how many years are we expected to fork out for this bollocks?

Sexton Blake

War Hero

A simplistic view from me, a simplistic man.

In 2019 the tax payer UK Govt gave away 15.2 Billion quid to Foreign Aid. I believe that the target for 2021 is circa 21 Billion quid.

Therefore in these 'unprecedented times' how about we do the 'unprecedented thing' and reduce a small percentage of our annual aid for 1 year only to raise this 1 Billion needed to feed the swathes of emaciated and hollow cheeked children we all see on a daily basis wandering our streets.

Twelve months later C19 will have a cure probably and all the children and parents will not only be back to being good parents and well fed children but we will all have learned a valuable lesson, oh yes.

I mean, am I the only one around here with some fresh ideas.

In 2019 the tax payer UK Govt gave away 15.2 Billion quid to Foreign Aid. I believe that the target for 2021 is circa 21 Billion quid.

Therefore in these 'unprecedented times' how about we do the 'unprecedented thing' and reduce a small percentage of our annual aid for 1 year only to raise this 1 Billion needed to feed the swathes of emaciated and hollow cheeked children we all see on a daily basis wandering our streets.

Twelve months later C19 will have a cure probably and all the children and parents will not only be back to being good parents and well fed children but we will all have learned a valuable lesson, oh yes.

I mean, am I the only one around here with some fresh ideas.

That's wacism. Think of those poor African dictators having to wait another year before upgrading to the latest Mercedes or Gulfstream.

You are far too soft ;) ;)

The top 5 Countries receiving UK Foreign Aid are Pakistan, Syria, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Afghanistan. ( Corruption writ large )

IF the UK has a starving children crisis, a homeless crisis and every other imaginable crisis.

Reduce Foreign Aid by 100% until such times as we tackle these crisis at home in the UK.

I found that clip that I was talking about earlier.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
In perpetuity.

You know the drill - ( It's freebies ) Once it starts it cannot be stopped because of '' Isms '' or ''Ists '' or sumfing.

You seem to have forgotten the ever increasing admin bill for services rendered (or something).

Seemed to be a sensible idea for Carmila Batmanghooli's charity

she ate all the pies profits

CB3075E1-FAD9-4017-88E3-68CFFF066FB6.jpeg

It is cheaper. There was a news item few years back where traditional butchers were complaining that they weren't getting the tax breaks halal butchers (something to do with religion) were getting, and people were shopping there to get a better deal.
An actual news article or something on the faceache?

I'll repeat the questions -

How would you know whether a meal has had some dude say a prayer before the slaughter?

What is it about the Halal concept that makes you uncomfortable?
Because there will be a certificate on display in Reception to inform the minority that demand it.
Many folks object to ritual methods of slaughter, but get fed halal at Wimbledon,Twickenham, Epsom etc etc etc, however, halal (and male genital mutilation) is OK because God trumps welfare.

Latest Threads