Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

crow_bag

War Hero
Sure, but in the meantime, society should still feed the kids while you're working on utopia.
I never said they shouldn't feed the kids for the short term, i.e while the coronavirus pandemic is in full swing.

But care should be taken to make sure it is reviewed regularly so that it doesn't just become something we do all the time.

Id still like to know where these millions of starving kids have come from, and how they were getting by before Marcus Rashford came on the scene.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It's obvious it won't turn out well. Foster kids have a long history of being sexually abused.

But if you can show an instance of mass child-removal - for good reasons - has turned out well, I'm happy to be informed.
Sexually abused, physically abused, politically indoctrinated...

There's good reason to try and keep kids with their parents. And it should be made very clear to some posters that not every family on benefits is a bad one; there are some very good people out there trying very hard under very trying circumstances.

But there are some people who are very poor individuals - poor in the sense of lacking morally - and poor individuals make very poor parents. My friends' niece being a case in point.

I do though wonder how much comes down to cost. And, for the record, I don't see a Labour government finding the money to cover things either.

I never said they shouldn't feed the kids for the short term, i.e while the coronavirus pandemic is in full swing.

But care should be taken to make sure it is reviewed regularly so that it doesn't just become something we do all the time.

Yes, spot on.

Once all the underlying causes are fixed - which I personally doubt they'll ever be (the pessimist I am) - then society no longer has a case for feeding hungry children.

crow_bag

War Hero
Yes, spot on.

Once all the underlying causes are fixed - which I personally doubt they'll ever be (the pessimist I am) - then society no longer has a case for feeding hungry children.
True, but even if we can help 30% to feed their children that's 30% less meals that need to be provided outside of school time, and hopefully those children might pick up skills (like cooking and budgeting) that will help them as adults.

It is definitely a marathon and not a sprint.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I do though wonder how much comes down to cost. And, for the record, I don't see a Labour government finding the money to cover things either.

The cost will be minimal. I think the Express (I know I know) said £20 million a week; that's nothing for the fifth largest economy in the world to invest into a segment of it's population.

It's more ideological.

How can you fix

1. Stupidity

2. That some people should never, ever be parents ( but it's their Yuman Rite, innit )

There are some things that money cannot fix.

So if the underlying causes cannot be fixed, and there's neglected hungry kids that need feeding, the logical thing to do - if we live in a modern caring society - is to feed them.

Seems obvious to me.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The cost will be minimal. I think the Express (I know I know) said £20 million a week; that's nothing for the fifth largest economy in the world to invest into a segment of it's population.

It's more ideological.
I'm talking about the cost of increasing the number of kids in a properly administered care system. You've got to build facilities, maintain and staff them - or else you've got to massively increase the social worker numbers (and still have the back-up facilities to take in the kids from failing homes).

The problem still remains that we have a mainstream political party opposed to fundamental social reform because it hits its power base.

So if the underlying causes cannot be fixed, and there's neglected hungry kids that need feeding, the logical thing to do - if we live in a modern caring society - is to feed them.

Seems obvious to me.

Despite the howling - The numbers of hungry kids will be very small.

Promise to feed that small number of hungry kids in perpetuity and guess what will happen.

That small number will very quickly grow into a large number.