Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

An emotive subject like child poverty is ( IMO ) a subject that should not be pushed back against online. It will go nowhere.

What needs to happen ( IMO ) is that poverty needs to be shown for what it really is. Horse manure in the vast majority of cases.

Exactly the sort of pushback that I was thinking of. You could sell it as a public health campaign i.e. cigarettes and alcohol make you poorer and damage your children. Keep hammering home the message and it will modify behaviours, although I accept not in every case.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just because we ask why, doesn't mean we don't.

Until we rightly justify what is poverty, rather than an average of some figure, then we just can't throw money away because the parents are feckless losers.

I did post a link to official definitions, there's relative poverty which is a certain percentage below national average for house hold income.
More relevant and more complex is absolute poverty whereby you need income, age and number in household, amount spent on heating etc.

You can add in fuel poverty certain percentage of income spent on heating, cooking light etc. Usually a factor of income and age of house, type of heating, tariff.

Transport poverty, access to public transport. Very popular up here, either no access or cost is prohibitive. It's all very well saying get a job but realistically how many jobs are within walking distance?

syrup

LE
50k, rashford gets paid 200k a WEEK.

Yeah I found that out after I posted
Apparently he is already worth £65 million quid what with sponsorship etc.

Somebody once pointed out that the reason Beckham never new the price of a loaf of bread was by the time he was 15 he was already on a grand a week at Man Utd.
I would have thought he would have been the same

Somebody once pointed out that the reason Beckham never new the price of a loaf of bread was by the time he was 15 he was already on a grand a week at Man Utd.
I don't know the price of a loaf of bread either, it nothing to do with being rich, its more to do with not being poor. If I want bread ill buy it, I don't really care if its 50p or 1.50 I don't need to know the price.

The BBC getting its version of the Daily Mail compo faced victim to the masses.

Not much on why her ex isn't paying, why she had to move to the country and why she doesn't have a job.

Sexton Blake

War Hero

Sexton Blake

War Hero

Not much on why her ex isn't paying, why she had to move to the country and why she doesn't have a job.
I am sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh but this extract from the link:

"This week, a typical meal will be the roast pigeon with foraged blackberries they had on Sunday night (she is aware, she adds, that "rural poor is different to urban poor" because of the foraging they can do), followed by apple and blackberry crumble"

Luxury, sheer effing luxury, to the fish fingers and Angel Delight I used to get in the 70's.

The compo faced, whinging bint.

Truxx

LE
Anyway. I have not ventured onto wokebook for a day or two, but I think that it is high time I did having been handed the interesting ( if somewhat bleeding obvious to anyone from anywhere, not least the media who cared to look) fact that for the first 13 years of his life that Marcus Rashford bloke starved under a labour government.

Exactly the sort of pushback that I was thinking of. You could sell it as a public health campaign i.e. cigarettes and alcohol make you poorer and damage your children. Keep hammering home the message and it will modify behaviours, although I accept not in every case.

Have we not been subjected to cigarettes and alcohol is bad campaigns for decades ?

It would take some pair of b@lls to campaign for - Is your child going hungry, then why are you smoking, drinking / drug taking ?

The howls of some new '' Ism's and Ist's '' would be deafening.

I think the message that needs to be rammed home is - If you have kids, You are responsible for them, not the State.

Sexton Blake

War Hero
A quick dance around your local wood or park, 15 mins in Lidl or Asda and hey presto!

Apologies all. Serious subject which I shouldn't de-rail.

Just because we ask why, doesn't mean we don't.

Until we rightly justify what is poverty, rather than an average of some figure, then we just can't throw money away because the parents are feckless losers.

I don't see feeding hungry - neglected - kids as 'throwing money away'. It's feeding hungry kids.

And we know why; some people shouldn't be parents and they're absolute dross. But it's shameful that we have kids in food poverty in the UK. We're not India.

University graduate living in a large house in a rural area with 3 acres. Hmmm.

Maybe grow your own veg on that land? Keep more chickens and eat them too? Or buy a cockerel for the chicken you've got? Sell up and move somewhere where there is work? Or get a job anywhere nearby? Or buy a pellet gun and start eating rabbit/pigeon to supplement your protein intake along with the chickens and eggs? Store caravans on your 3 acres and charge for it? Turn your 3 acres into a small camp site? Plant a loaf of lavender and flowers and keep bees and sell/eat the honey?

Its a change of mindset she needs, maybe grounds for a TV show where some numpty is sat on a gold mine complaining of having nothing, and someone goes in and sorts it out, slaps them around the face with a wet fish and goes on their merry way.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

War Hero
In an attempt to recompense, a serious point from me which I hope a serving or ex serving teacher on here can comment on.

I distinctly recall some years back that an initiative was mooted to invite OAPs to their local primary school to sit and each lunch with the kids.

This was as an attempt to:

1. Support the financial aspects of keeping school kitchens running.
2. Teach kids to eat with older folk 'at the table'.
3. A positive thing for lonely, elderly OAPs to look forward to.
4. Other benefits may exist too.

I know I may be naive here but it seemed a good idea with possible increase into Secondary schools to assuage the current problems (albeit C19 knackers the idea now, but perhaps when things die down (no pun intended)).

I searched around to see how far off the ground this got but to no avail.

Is it simply too difficult/expensive or do I need to rush off and fill in a GEMS form?

I am sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh but this extract from the link:

"This week, a typical meal will be the roast pigeon with foraged blackberries they had on Sunday night (she is aware, she adds, that "rural poor is different to urban poor" because of the foraging they can do), followed by apple and blackberry crumble"

Luxury, sheer effing luxury, to the fish fingers and Angel Delight I used to get in the 70's.

The compo faced, whinging bint.
Why is having foraged food luxury?

despite the fact I will retire on a fairly good pension, I will be eligible to use food banks when I retire. I’ll make a point of parking my new 4x4 out of sight though to play the poor disabled pensioner part

No you won't. You're not automatically entitled to be referred to a food bank voucher just because you're retired.

No need to make stuff up.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

I wonder if someone/some organisation is actually supporting him because it does seem more like an effort to tear a government apart.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

War Hero
Why is having foraged food luxury?
To answer your question.

Because foraged food can be luxury.

I will expand but do not wish to get into an argument. When I was a nipper living abroad (my Dad is an immigrant but we moved over to UK full time late 60's) we would eat lots off the land.

Most herbs, lots and lots of fruit and veg (albeit some were grown not wild). Capers (wild) were used extensively in our cooking and as for the boar, don't get me started on wild boar. I miss it so.

ETA - there was also an element of sarcasm (think Monty Python sketch) in my earlier reply as I like to inject some humour into my posts. Well, they make me smile occasionally.

Latest Threads