Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

Surely any child who is not being fed has to be classed as "at risk".
Some people (like XPara Mugg) on here on here don't give a shit about kids not being looked after, they would rather save a few quid by forcing neglected kids to stay with shitcunt parents.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some people (like XPara Mugg) on here on here don't give a shit about kids not being looked after, they would rather save a few quid by forcing neglected kids to stay with shitcunt parents.

Why not, social work do that all the time.

You don't need to be good parents just "good enough"

You'd have the teachers up in arms at having to work during "their holidays", starnge that most public employees manage on 28 days inc bank holidays, yet teachers need 13 weeks plus inset days during the term.(Not having a pop, @Ortholith, just stating it as I see it). I mentioned this scenario to my OH last night with the phrase that teachers are paid during their holidays, she came back (normally she's quiet good at the intelligent stuff) that their pay is spread across the year so they aren't actually paid for the school holidays as such, I mentioned that if, for example, a teacher is paid 36K a year, this is spread across 12 months, so 3K a month regardless of school being open or not, so they are paid for school holidays.
Yep, it’s nearly as good as being a squaddie, no wars to go to, so lie in bed all day and shoot your gun twice a year...
But seriously - Teachers are contracted to work 1265 hours per year, that’s what they’re paid for, no overtime pay or time off in lieu. 20 kids x 4 lessons a day = 80 books to mark x 5min each. There’s 6 hours work, except classes can be 30 or more, you could have 5 lessons in a day and it always takes more than 5 mins... and you haven’t planned a single lesson yet... Yes, it’s the job you signed up for so you get on with it and dream of being a bin man, because they only work on a Thursday...

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Child neglect is more obvious during school holidays when the state isn't taking up the slack of shite parents.
Surely if child neglect was more noticeable during school holidays we would be doing something about it.
It’s probably easier hidden behind closed doors.

There used to be thing called Child welfare services, social workers, educational welfare officers. Who were brought in if the school saw a problem arising.
Most of that’s been cut to the bone, centralisation depriving councils from doing what needs done at a local level.
Social services overrun with caseloads. Case law seemingly dictated by the latest social services failure.

But carry on sniping. What sort of of future do we have when a generation of
Primary and secondary school children go hungry.
How are you meant to learn, study and thrive when you spend your young lives hungry. Not only hungry but thinking about nothing else other than food.

They go from hungry children, to what, disaffected teenagers? . What sort of adults are they going to be.
All we seem to be doing is shoring up problems for the future. Problems which could be nipped in the bud now.
At a lot less cost.

How are you meant to learn, study and thrive when you spend your young lives hungry. Not only hungry but thinking about nothing else other than food.

They go from hungry children, to what, disaffected teenagers? . What sort of adults are they going to be.
All we seem to be doing is shoring up problems for the future. Problems which could be nipped in the bud now.
At a lot less cost.
That was the case last generation, and the generation before and so on ad infinitum.

The only difference is now there is no reason a child has to go hungry.

endure

GCM
They do. Any child who has been receiving free school meals at any point in the previous 5 years is eligible for pupil premium funding which can be spent at the school's discretion, including uniform and stationery.

Any child with a parent in the Armed Forces is automatically eligible for PP funding as well.
You do realise you've just caused multiple arrse brains to spin out of control? ;-)

offog

LE
Surely if child neglect was more noticeable during school holidays we would be doing something about it.

There used to be thing called Child welfare services, social workers, educational welfare officers. Who were brought in if the school saw a problem arising.
Most of that’s been cut to the bone, centralisation depriving councils from doing what needs done at a local level.
Social services overrun with caseloads. Case law seemingly dictated by the latest social services failure.

At a lot less cost.
I have mentioned this before. During the Blair years I was an extended schools coordinator working with children centres so covering ages from 0 to 25 (25 years for children with learning difficulties). In this time breakfasts were offered in schools for children who wanted them. Some were provided free and sponsored by business and some had a small charge.

One infants school in a very deprived area of the town offered a free meal to any child who came with their parent. The idea being to get parents who did not come into school so that they could get a relationship going. In the three years I was involved with the school the head told me not one meal had been served.

With another infant school we ran cooking classes for selected families which the school outreach lady had identified as needing help with feeding the family. The special needs secondary school provided the classroom kitchen and the families attended a six week course. For many it was the first time they had sat at a table and eaten together. This was so successful it continued long after my post had been deleted.

In the holidays I funded a meal programme run by a church group as part of their holiday activities for children in the same area as the infant school. This was a little problematic as the church group also ran a drugs and alcohol support group and their customers were always hanging round the hall which was 100m from the primary school.

What I learnt was that parents control the cash and decide its priority and feeding the kids does not always come high on the list of priorities.

I once followed a house entry team executing a drugs warrant into a Housing Association property some 6 months old, home to 2 Adults, 3 children. The house was totally trashed inside, there was no food in the kitchen, other than the remnants of alot of takeaways. The 3yo helped me search thd kitchen as it was probably more positive attention than she was used to - not much of a life to look forward to.

Cnuts who bring up kids under those conditions need sterilizing and disfiguring, so they can't have any more.

At a lot less cost.
On the positive side, they'll be too malnourished and weak to run away from the old bill when they inevitably turn to crime.

The care system is in place for those who have been removed from their families and therefore cannot go back at weekends. A bit different to your boarding model.

Teachers are recruited from a pile of slightly gullible well meaning individuals. We cannot recruit enough teachers for normal teaching positions and that has been the case for years. The number of people willing to live in a boarding school where the majority of students are 'challenging' will be miniscule. The number remaining after a year without burning out will be even smaller.

Enough students will run home that you will tie up police and social workers' time that is already being stretched to breaking point. I have heard lots of stories of a care home from a resident and they would routinely run out most nights, knowing that staff were powerless to restrain or stop them. Each one would be reported to police as a missing vulnerable individual and would eventually be rounded up and brought back to the home. Half an hour later they would run away again.

I know, hence why voluntary sterilisation was suggested.

What you have described in great detail is a system which clearly isn't working. Perhaps it is time to try something different?

I’ve posted before about my shit-poor upbringing in a council estate, single mother household. What seems to have changed so much in the past 40yrs is the complete loss of pride and a culture of complete victim hood. The latter completely dominates politics.

2 things that I would like to bring up on this subject, that is also relevant to the thread.

The blame can be laid squarely at the door of Thatcher ( 79 onwards ) for changing the demographics of the Council Estate from working families ( who might have been poor, but the one thing they were never lacking was pride ) to single parent chavs.

40 years ago, the Ice Cream wars erupted in Glasgow.....

...... Those wars erupted on the streets of Council Estates, not the streets of the areas that contained mortgaged / bought and paid for houses.

Straight from a certain horses mouth - All the money is made on the Council Estates, there is no money to be made at the posh houses.

Those turf wars have played out from Glasgow all the way down to London at one time or another.

Poverty in the UK - Next to zero.

Retards for parents - Plenty.

What you have described in great detail is a system which clearly isn't working. Perhaps it is time to try something different?

Serious question

Do you have something in mind that will not have the howl at anything Brigade up in arms and the pockets of the legal profession being stuffed with large amounts of taxpayers cash ?

Surely those on a low income are more likely to be eating junk food and drinking more thus filling their bins quicker

I take a walk to local veg shop or butcher for most of my scoff. Bin fills up over three weeks or so then gets cleared.

Neighbour has bins outside overflowing with take away and ready meal packs once a week, and if mine is out the bastard shoves all his crap in mine. I calculate he's spending three or four times the amount I am over similar time frames and I'm eating better than them.

Serious question

Do you have something in mind that will not have the howl at anything Brigade up in arms and the pockets of the legal profession being stuffed with large amounts of taxpayers cash ?

Therein lies the rub. The former can be pushed back against online. As for the latter, reduce the cash flow. Time to take the fight back to them.

Therein lies the rub.

Indeed

The former can be pushed back against online.

An emotive subject like child poverty is ( IMO ) a subject that should not be pushed back against online. It will go nowhere.

What needs to happen ( IMO ) is that poverty needs to be shown for what it really is. Horse manure in the vast majority of cases.

As for the latter, reduce the cash flow.

I do not think that is possible whilst the UK is still a member of the ECHR. It's everyone's Yuman Rite to have flat screen TV's, the latest smartphones, cigarette's and alcohol, etc etc - Doesn't matter if their sprogs are apparently starving and need the State to feed them.

As you can see, they are both well established and intertwined.

Why? For all the reasons you've just outlined and probably more to boot.

But identifying the problem doesn't fix the problem.

Sure, we could take the kids of them, or impose some kind of punishment on the parents; re-educating them even, in some kind of camp.

I'm up for anything that'll work.

But in the meantime, we as a society should be feeding the kids that feckless parents don't.

Just because we ask why, doesn't mean we don't.

Until we rightly justify what is poverty, rather than an average of some figure, then we just can't throw money away because the parents are feckless losers.

what next? The government should provided free clothes and shoes?

why stop there, Government supplied Playstations too?

Seemed to be a sensible idea for Carmila Batmanghooli's charity

Latest Threads