Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

endure

GCM
What I don't understand is how Boris/Cummings didn't realise this would happen. They've been monstered by Rashford once already. Did they think it would be any different this time around?

I predict he rolls over on this
49FD7A04-574C-4C38-B69E-AC45C580D5A0.jpeg

Aye Gout Man has acknowledged that above.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd fully support anything that's in the best interests of neglected kids. I'll also assume it's a highly complex and contentious issue and hope our experts in the field could sort it out.

In the meantime, the least we could do as a society is our best to ensure they're not hungry.

I think we or he Government, I don't mind, should ask why they're hungry. Is it because Mum & dad and really struggling to decide it's either roof above, food or warmth. Or is it because mum's a smoker, a drinker and 'dad's' a gambler.

Is it because the processed Ding!♫ meals run out by Wednesday or something more quantifiable and tangible. I'm fed up of hearing of all these hungry kids, yet no one is asking why . . .

I think the first thing we need to do is remove the words poverty and replace with neglect.

This is from our local paper

"Helen Thompson, of Thompsons Fish and Chips on the A64 north of York, said: “We are witnessing at first hand that this is needed, this is real and it is a very worthwhile cause.”

They served 30 free child meals at lunchtime today alone.

Thompsons and all credit to them is outside York on the A64 (below)
In order to get there you either need to drive or get the coastliner bus out to it

So you are in poverty but you can drive out to claim your free meals or your kids will starve due to the evil Tory's.
Seems to me some people aren't as poor as they make out.

images

Yes, I believe it is neglect. I don't believe kids have to go hungry in the 21st century UK.

But apparently they are, because of neglect.

However, identifying what word to use still isn't going to feed hungry kids.

How did kids manage to get fed during school holidays before Marcus Rashford stuck his neb in? Now kids are getting fed by the State 365 days of the year, I bet some parents are thinking "Great, more fags and booze".
"Great, more fags and booze"
You quaint old thing, you.

One of my annual tasks was the planning of the Bermondsey Carnival, whose vast majority of attendees were from the local council estates, all with East End roots, knees up muvva brown types..
In one planning meeting the production company stated that they were no longer providing urinals for the male attendees, just extra portaloos as she noticed that with the exception of kids the males were only queuing for these. Was sitting down to pee some new thing with men?
No, I told her, bending down to snort coke off the toilet seats was though.

Yes, I believe it is neglect. I don't believe kids have to go hungry in the 21st century UK.

But apparently they are, because of neglect.

However, identifying what word to use still isn't going to feed hungry kids.

And it isn't going to make the problem go away. What happens next year or the year after that?

I think we or he Government, I don't mind, should ask why they're hungry. Is it because Mum & dad and really struggling to decide it's either roof above, food or warmth. Or is it because mum's a smoker, a drinker and 'dad's' a gambler.

Is it because the processed Ding!♫ meals run out by Wednesday or something more quantifiable and tangible. I'm fed up of hearing of all these hungry kids, yet no one is asking why . . .

Why? For all the reasons you've just outlined and probably more to boot.

But identifying the problem doesn't fix the problem.

Sure, we could take the kids of them, or impose some kind of punishment on the parents; re-educating them even, in some kind of camp.

I'm up for anything that'll work.

But in the meantime, we as a society should be feeding the kids that feckless parents don't.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Until the Party of the People stops playing silly games, until it gives up on the relative versus real poverty comparisons, until it gets past the ludicrous idea that the state should supply the same top-end existence as the extremely wealthy if they want it, nothing will change.

What will we see next year? The Opposition will find away of ramping this up.

Like BLM, this is about division. It's about polarising opinion. It's not about a better society. A 'better' society is one in which all people work to make it better, not because people have more.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Employers aren't hiring paid staff, they are hiring whoever the government will pay, so existing staff are on fewer hours. Was in a Taco Bell, and was served a beer by a 17 year old being paid through the government scheme. Employers are taking the piss as much as fraudsters.
Did you inform them that by getting a 17yo to serve alcohol, they are breaking the law? They are allowed to work in licensed premises but are not allowed to serve or prepare alcohol, works the same as when young Chardonnay is working the tills at Tescos and you roll up with 10 cases of Old Smudgers Knuckle ****** (ABV 9.5%).

Latest Threads