Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

I hope HMRC does a proper audit on those cafes and restaurants that are advertising that they are feeding children for free. As a certain amount of charity can be used as a tax deductable expense, will they be able to prove they fed 200 children as a charitable donation they are claiming as a tax deduction?

Easy. Remove them from their feckless parents. I would massively expand State boarding school provision. There is a massive difference between being in desperate straits and wilfully neglecting your parental responsibilities.

Benefits Agency staff refer to dolescum kids as ‘2 legged cash machines’.
as soon as they leave Skool and the free money stops, ‘Da baybees’ get turfed out,

I’ve posted before about my shit-poor upbringing in a council estate, single mother household. What seems to have changed so much in the past 40yrs is the complete loss of pride and a culture of complete victim hood. The latter completely dominates politics.

every chav aspires to be a scouser now.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I think I've been quite restrained until now. :-o

Have you tried to get into a school recently? It's easier to get into a nuclear weapons compound. All those nasty people out there.

If I were still a head teacher, I wouldn't want to do the risk assessment on that one. Nor take responsibility in the current blame culture. Nor pay for all those DBS checks. There would be whole departments employed in making sure the legislation, regulations, policy, guidance, assessment, monitoring, inspection, recording, background checks, references, access control, segregated facilities etc. etc. etc. (ad infinitum) was all in place. Not a cheap alternative.

Neither is taking kids into care instead of paying a bit to feed them. There could be ways that get food into children, rather than money into betting shops; as many here seem to fear. Story drift......... When I took over a residential school (care home with education, in old money) right back in 1999. The starting point for fees (paid by local authorities) was £1660 a week. Four years later, when I moved on, I had instituted a sliding scale of fees but the stating point was £2200 a week. OK, we had a high staff ratio, because we had very difficult boys, but if you put lots of kids into care you are just widening the funnel that will lead a small minority to places like that.

Where would all those care homes come from? And the appropriate staff? Remember, care homes are businesses and have a bit of a reputation for employing cheap staff*. It has taken 20 years to get a long way towards sorting out quality in care homes and putting in place a half decent inspection regime. Putting right the negative effects of the deregulation and effective privatisation put in place by the Thatcher government has been a hard slog with many casualties in both staff and kids (sorry, looked after young people). The infrastructure just doesn't exist and is beyond current capacity to create. Or maybe there could be Nightingale care homes. Big hangars full of children freed from the 'care' of parents (as previously described on this thread) and placed into the hands of staff fully inculcated with just what they are not allowed to do (no matter how tempting a clip round the ear might be) and so are the kids.

*A few years before went there, a previous owner, if he found himself of short evening/night care staff, would go to the pub down the road and ask the general crowd, "Does anyone want a shift?"

I'm not against adults coming into schools. Really good idea and I instituted and encouraged it (but not so much in the last 20 years or so - reasons above). I ran cooking clubs in primary schools in 'rough' areas. Often I had more mums 'helping' than I had kids in the club. They were desperate to learn how to cook something other than ready meals. That is where the solution lays. Don't blame them. We are where we are. Open up manifold routes for parents (and 'about to be' parents) to acquire these skills. You need lots of different routes in for small groups. After all, that's how you eat an elephant;). Amongst other approaches, why not a 'learn to cook club' for mums, where the product is eaten by these poor starving waifs? Simple ingredients are inexpensive and that is, surely, the whole point. Oh.... I know ...... regulations again. Food hygiene certificates, premises inspections, local authority licencing (my idea of opening the school cafeteria to the local community failed on this one - even snacks for the night school classes). It goes on and on.

Enough. I spent nearly forty years trying to sort this shit out. It seems that every box you try to open contains a sprung jack that punches you in the face and hits you on the side of the head with a summons to a professional standards investigative meeting, while jabbing multiple regulation into your gut.

And breath............
Very laudable and I'm not looking to take anything away from that. SWMBO has also considered becoming to a teacher again but aiming at the domestic rather than the academic, if that makes sense.

There is, though the internet and such as YouTube. There are plenty of online learning resources and a large number of people have access to smart devices. More could be done there, I think.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Look kids and you barstewards on Arrse,
three, yes THREE EFFING SAUSAGES, AND THEY ARE ALL MINE.

49FD7A04-574C-4C38-B69E-AC45C580D5A0.jpeg

I don't think the rights and wrongs of this business signify.

The mob (and media) want Boris to stump up for free school meals for starving kids, and anyone who disagrees is being lambasted. The emotive picture of hungry kids is being used as the stick to bash him with and will continue until either the mob gets bored or diverted to something more interesting.

I predict he rolls over on this, but I'm interested to see how he's going to justify another u turn.

No one wants to see kids go hungry. But how many kids really are in need of extra meals (provided food money is not spent on non-essentials)? Furthermore, how did these kids manage to make it through the summer hols of 2018 if their need was so great? Certainly some families' incomes will have been adversely affected by the virus. But as the kids who are entitled to free meals during term time will be in families that are on some form of benefit they should not be so affected. By all means help those who need it, but I see no point in throwing money where it is not needed. And, as has been stated - where will this stop? Because those shouting loudest would demand free meals all year round. And then it will be something else; free holidays to Ibiza and so on.

From my experience it used to be the case that you either got free dinners OR got a bit of extra cash like family allowance.

Hang on a flippin' minute!

Was it not that long ago that Jamie The Thick-Tongued Chef berated us all for having obese children? And that we were evil parents and should be feeding them on healthy boiled water with half a floating Ginko bean?

So, what went wrong?!

The mob (and media) want Boris to stump up for free school meals for starving kids, and anyone who disagrees is being lambasted. The emotive picture of hungry kids is being used as the stick to bash him with and will continue until either the mob gets bored or diverted to something more interesting.

I predict he rolls over on this, but I'm interested to see how he's going to justify another u turn.

The mob (and media) don't want Boris to stump up anything.

They want him gone.

Grrrrrr.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Which starving kids? Show us the starving kids.

Some may be malnourished or vitamin-deficient but they're not starving.

That's the crux of it.

Latest Threads