Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

I don't claim to be as good as your parents, or my own Scout Leader when I was a lad . . . but I did what I could ;) .

When I became involved, I did not recognise the organisation :( .

They were in the habit of using a "Central Kitchen", with food prepared by adult leaders. The boys
gained, learnt, nothing, from the experience :( .
Exactly that my father quit when the rot set in. Many former scouts have said it was the best time of their lives. I was the youngest by far and generally used as a depth gauge for pits and wood elf.

There is already enough money "swilling" around in "the system".

The question, discussion, should be how it can be assured . . . re-directed . . . so those amounts intend for the welfare, food and clothing of children, is actually used for such . . . if not by the feckless parent(s), then how/by whom?!

the more benefits you give, the better Curry’s TV sales.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
These meals need to be renamed. They arent free, they are tax payer paid meals.

This would be a good opportunity for the government to scrap the benefits system and bring in a universal basic income instead. No extras, if you want a new TV, sign up with an agency and get a temporary job.
I am sure @History_Man that with a little more thought you could come up with a less extravagant, more direct, system, that it would be impossible to abuse ;) .

Kids can't eat tabs or beer either...

I have 0% sympathy with someone who would prioritise their own alcohol and tobacco habits over feeding their children.

No-one's saying we ought to sympathise with them. Personally, I wouldn't care if we put them in stocks and threw bricks at them.

At which point I **clutch pearls** and scweam, "But what about the hungry kids?"

No-one's saying we ought to sympathise with them. Personally, I wouldn't care if we put them in stocks and threw bricks at them.

At which point I **clutch pearls** and scweam, "But what about the hungry kids?"

Easy. Remove them from their feckless parents. I would massively expand State boarding school provision. There is a massive difference between being in desperate straits and wilfully neglecting your parental responsibilities.

Last edited:
Easy. Remove them from their feckless parents. I would massively expand State boarding school provision. There is a massive difference between being in desperate straits and wilfully neglecting your parental responsibilities.

I'd fully support anything that's in the best interests of neglected kids. I'll also assume it's a highly complex and contentious issue and hope our experts in the field could sort it out.

In the meantime, the least we could do as a society is our best to ensure they're not hungry.

Truxx

LE
Much of that 80 seat majority was won with northern - traditionally labour - constituencies.

This lot are socially conservative, but they're to the left, economically.

If the Tories want to hold onto that majority there's a couple of things they need to do.

1. Ensure the NHS is kept in good nick. If they don't, this will fvck them at the next GE.

2. Be more economically left. I think Rishi's done a great job so far, but 'feeding hungry kids' is an issue that will cost relatively little money, but will back fire on them badly if they don't.
The feeding hungry kids thing is as you say incredibly totemic.

But

To a large extent it is simply a non issue. My facebook is covered in stuff from, in my case Cumbria council who have this squared away and, as I say, my granddaughters secondary school were publicising their scheme at the beginning of last week. ( I would cut and paste an example of the Cumbria publicity but I am an IT biff so you will just have to take my word for it.

So, I wonder if this really is a real issue requiring a national response, or whether it has not simply become the latest battle cry peppered with the very occasional real world testament from a few who are struggling (but who have yet to be swept into the pre existing support package.)?

Just where are these hungry kids and why is the system not questioning and, where appropriate, guiding the parents away from what is, in fact, neglect?

That said, the whitehall communicators need a slap for not nailing this day 1 minute 1 by joining the dots and presenting a policy that would require no effort or cost whatsoever to deliver. Fail there Cummings. Show again.

As an aside a cup of coffee in the cafe of Morrisons in Kendal was accompanied by about a million fat kids all getting full- frys with extra chips down their necks for £1 so Bob Geldorf and Bono can relax for a day or two as theres nothing to see here at least.

Last edited:
I'd fully support anything that's in the best interests of neglected kids. I'll also assume it's a highly complex and contentious issue and hope our experts in the field could sort it out.

In the meantime, the least we could do as a society is our best to ensure they're not hungry.

Funnily enough, I'm not against feeding hungry children, but giving opportunistic parents more cash with which to do so (and then not bother) is not the way to go about it. Keeping school kitchens and dining rooms open during half term and a simple turn up, sign in, get fed system would work i.e. you are entitled to free school meals, so you will get fed a meal.

Truxx

LE
Funnily enough, I'm not against feeding hungry children, but giving opportunistic parents more cash with which to do so (and then not bother) is not the way to go about it. Keeping school kitchens and dining rooms open during half term and a simple turn up, sign in, get fed system would work i.e. you are entitled to free school meals, so you will get fed a meal.
That is exactly what is happening here, albeit that it is packed rather than cooked meal.