Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

There are several political movements grabbing the limelight in the UK at the moment. In no particular order, BLM, the LBTQ+ gender-nazis, and the feminists*.

The last-mentioned are relevant, here.

Having the girls doing cookery and the boys doing (now, arguably defunct) metal- and woodwork was deemed to be reinforcing gender stereotypes** and keeping women in the home/bound into poverty/unable to self-determine. This is, or was, deemed to be Very Bad.

One could also take the view of course that despite the propaganda, most people are heterosexual and will eventually end up in heterosexual relationships. Having around 50 per cent of those in those relationships able to put together halfway decent meals is probably a good thing. That doesn't mean that the women should have to do all the cooking (although don't tell SWMBO that).

*One could also describe them as Marxists, Marxists and Marxists.

**Increasingly difficult to equate as, according to the Alphabet Spaghetti lot, gender is a political construct and doesn't really exist. We will reach a point of being unmanageable as a society if all this lot get their way.
I did Home ec in the '80s. and the girls did wood work and metal work too.

RTU'd

Old-Salt
It why we need to stream kids in schools.

My school was streamed. I started in Maths group 3, and worked my way to 2 (of six). In reality there was little difference between 1 and 2, 3 and 4, and 4 and 6.

We also had houses. In both my junior school and high school. points meant prizes.
But you can not have losers these days, that's why at school sports days every child is a winner!
In my day you did PE and no excuses, now its the time of the month or you have a sore wrist after having a wnak and you get let off. Too much molly coddling of tarquin rollo & honeysuckle petal.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
And my mate's elder sister was the first girl in my school to get a CDT 'O' Level. For all that good it did; she's now a psychiatrist.

Generally, though, as you'll appreciate, it was divided on gender lines.

. . . . Having the girls doing cookery and the boys doing (now, arguably defunct) metal- and woodwork was deemed to be reinforcing gender stereotypes** and keeping women in the home/bound into poverty/unable to self-determine. This is, or was, deemed to be Very Bad . . .
I'm a not sure it could be, was ever, described as "Very Bad", but in those bygone days, it certainly did restrict the outlook/horizons, carer choices, employment decisions, of a lot of youngsters.

Whilst not necessarily (these days), in an industrial/manufacturing environment, it is suggested that with the increasing activity of D-I-Y . . . the skills that could be learnt by both boys and girls, would no longer justify the description of "defunct metal and woodwork lessons".

Although, I am not sure I would be comfortable with the thought of Mrs RCT(V), drilling, nailing, putting up shelves here, there and everywhere!

My younger brother took “Home Economics”, “Domestic Science”, or whatever it was called fifty-five years ago. And, as I posted earlier . . .

"When my own son was of an age, I (was) volunteered as a Scout Leader (and, Assistant Cub Scout Leader). I assure you, children are quite capable of "fending for themselves" if given the wherewithal!!

I was responsible for preparing the menus for one week-long summer's camp, under canvas, using OPEN/WOOD fires!!

You are now asking me to go back thirty years, but . . . there will now be a generation of wives in Linlithgow (and the wider Central Belt of Scotland), cursing myself, and the skills I ensure their husbands acquired!!

There were four Patrols, each with six lads aged 11-15 years. They had to prepare ALL their meals for themselves, and whichever leader would be joining them.

Breakfasts: were cereal/cornflakes . . . alternating with . . . porridge (which HAS to include raisins!!); PLUS, sausage and tomato . . . alternating with . . . egg and bacon.

Main meal: ranged from the aforementioned Spaghetti Bolognese; stew; mince and mash; with pancakes to follow, and bread-and-butter pudding on one occasion. Everything prepared with only ONE frying pan; a mixing bowl; and, a couple of cooking pots “billies”, per Patrol.

The lads were responsible for boiling the washing-up water on their open/wood fires, and cleaning/washing everything . . ."

Last edited:

Molesworth

Clanker
No one wants to see kids go hungry. But how many kids really are in need of extra meals (provided food money is not spent on non-essentials)? Furthermore, how did these kids manage to make it through the summer hols of 2018 if their need was so great? Certainly some families' incomes will have been adversely affected by the virus. But as the kids who are entitled to free meals during term time will be in families that are on some form of benefit they should not be so affected. By all means help those who need it, but I see no point in throwing money where it is not needed. And, as has been stated - where will this stop? Because those shouting loudest would demand free meals all year round. And then it will be something else; free holidays to Ibiza and so on.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm a not sure it could be, was ever, described as "Very Bad", but in those bygone days, it certainly did restrict the outlook/horizons, carer choices, employment decisions, of a lot of youngsters.

Whilst not necessarily (these days), in an industrial/manufacturing environment, it is suggested that with the increasing activity of D-I-Y . . . the skills that could be learnt by both boys and girls, would no longer justify the description of "defunct metal and woodwork lessons".

Although, I am not sure I would be comfortable with the thought of Mrs RCT(V), drilling, nailing, putting up shelves here, there and everywhere!

My younger brother took “Home Economics”, “Domestic Science”, or whatever it was called fifty-five years ago. And, as I posted earlier . . .

"When my own son was of an age, I (was) volunteered as a Scout Leader (and, Assistant Cub Scout Leader). I assure you, children are quite capable of "fending for themselves" if given the wherewithal!!

I was responsible for preparing the menus for one week-long summer's camp, under canvas, using OPEN/WOOD fires!!

You are now asking me to go back thirty years, but . . . there will now be a generation of wives in Linlithgow (and the wider Central Belt of Scotland), cursing myself, and the skills I ensure their husbands acquired!!

There were four Patrols, each with six lads aged 11-15 years. They had to prepare ALL their meals for themselves, and whichever leader would be joining them.

Breakfasts: were cereal/cornflakes . . . alternating with . . . porridge (which HAS to include raisins!!); PLUS, sausage and tomato . . . alternating with . . . egg and bacon.

Main meal: ranged from the aforementioned Spaghetti Bolognese; stew; mince and mash; with pancakes to follow, and bread-and-butter pudding on one occasion. Everything prepared with only ONE frying pan; a mixing bowl; and, a couple of cooking pots “billies”, per Patrol.

The lads were responsible for boiling the washing-up water on their open/wood fires, and cleaning/washing everything . . ."
Um, yes, Very Bad - but by the feminists.

Being taught to cook didn't stop girls from doing maths and the sciences.

I’ve taught embroidery and putting in zips to boys, and welding and casting to girls, they didn’t care as long as they made something they could show to their mums. Food Tech was popular with boys though, possibly because we didn’t run Taxi Driving courses

the biggest issue is you cant ask why someone needs assistance or extra help you cant sit the person down and go through their budget with them, because then your discriminating. I bet you any amount of money if you had to bring a bank statement and do a budget with the foodbank workers the use of food banks would drop 35-40%

Every child in education until 18 was a Labour ruse to get the youth unemployment figures down. It had sod all to do with opportunity. It had everything to do with political opportunism.
There are plenty of kids that are not academic but will flourish in a workplace where they have a job they can actually do. The number of ********* I've taught in bottom sets that are now successful mechanics / gardeners / tree surgeons / brickies etc. is surprising, given I often couldn't get them to put pen to paper for longer than 3 minutes at a time.

A 16 year old getting a job that means getting out of bed, turning up on time, doing what they are told and earning their own money is far better than them sat in a college classroom having signed up for whichever course sounded like the least work and wasting everyone's time for 2 years before getting the same job they would have done at 16 anyway.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There are plenty of kids that are not academic but will flourish in a workplace where they have a job they can actually do. The number of ********* I've taught in bottom sets that are now successful mechanics / gardeners / tree surgeons / brickies etc. is surprising, given I often couldn't get them to put pen to paper for longer than 3 minutes at a time.

A 16 year old getting a job that means getting out of bed, turning up on time, doing what they are told and earning their own money is far better than them sat in a college classroom having signed up for whichever course sounded like the least work and wasting everyone's time for 2 years before getting the same job they would have done at 16 anyway.
Once you get past white collar snobbery.

I totally agree with you. Far better to have someone out on the tools and enjoying themselves and making good money than crammed into a call centre.

A good mate is a senior partner in a roofing business. He's brought on any number of youngsters, all likely lads who would be trouble and no use in an office.

None of that mattered to Labour and Blair, though. All that mattered was getting the headline unemployment figures down.

(Although I can't help thinking that a lot of those non-degrees were useful in terms of increasing the Marxist indoctrination of the young...)

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I know a few teachers primary an d senior . If you heard the stories that the've told me you'd certainly give the kids free meals and possibly take them in to care . This is all over London and the south .
The poorer and uneducated end of the food chain have some weird and wonderful ideas of what a school is for .

However its unrealistic to blame the children

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
As has been mentioned above.

Free SCHOOL meals are available. The current hoo-ha is about providing out of school time meals from school.

the school is not open for educational purposes but providing free scoff to kids. Let's say during August. Ie when the school is 'out for summer'.
So is Lord Marcus of Old Trafford going to pay for all of this or will that be us tax payers?

Dredd

LE
I'm sure money's not really the issue here; it's a measly amount we're talking about.

Even the Express is on the side of hungry kids.

A measly £20m. Right.

The article states that there are 4.2m children on or below the poverty line. It also says schools are allocated £2.30 per day per child.

Now I might be a doing this all wrong, but multiplying one by another for 14 days comes out at £135m. Even if I take the weekends off, it works out at £97m.

So where does this paltry £20m figure come from?

ETA - corrected critical figure so it made more sense!

Last edited:
Yes...
Scunner parents who can’t spell usually did badly at school and have no respect for education.
Parents who give their kids weird names are usually from the shallow end and think that being ‘different’ will gain them respect.
Parents who give their kids ‘ghetto’ names (google it) usually have a ‘ghetto’ mindset.
... and so on...
I never met a Kayden who wasn’t a prime ärse.
My dad's a (retired now) Civil Engineer, his choices for a forename for me included Ragnor, luckily my mum had more sense.

A measly £20m. Right.

The article states that there are 4.2m children on or below the poverty line. It also says schools are allocated £2.30 per day per child.

Now I might be a doing this all wrong, but multiplying one by another for 1 days comes out at £135m. Even if I take the weekends off, it works out at £97m.

So where does this paltry £20m figure come from?

From my basic understanding, just being on or below the poverty line doesn't entitle a child to free school dinners.

You've got to be even lower down the food chain to get them:

Indeed.

Preferably with an uncomfortable time to the negligent parents.

Ie a 'Parental improvement order' consisting of zero tolerance drugs and drink tests, and mandatory attendance at 'parent school'.

Just need to draft in a few "Community Behaviour Enforcement Officers" funded by LAs and job's good'un, right?

I don't quite know how to break it to you, but you're never going to be on the shortlist for "Greatest Thinkers of the Twenty-first Century".

So is Lord Marcus of Old Trafford going to pay for all of this or will that be us tax payers?

Guido and his minions have been doing a bit of research it would seem:

Marcus, if nothing else, is a canny lad as it seems that he's got everyone else doing the heavy lifting.

In many cases, literally :)

One thing I've not looked into, what age does this free school meals thing meant go up to? Is it just infants/juniors or as far as sixth formers?

Latest Threads