Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

+ Universal Free Meals, available from school kitchens, with the costs involved, deducted from whatever State Benefits are currently available and intended within those benefits, for the provision/purchase of food. The children expected to participate in the production of the meals and clearing-up.

Japanese school kids clear up after meals. I think it's a great idea.

There's a very dangerous narrative here. Because the likes of Amazon, Google etc book their profits outside the UK, certain folk - the ones prone to promising free everything - are pushing the message that all big business is doing the same. This is simply not true. Incidentally, when you analyse what those specific businesses "save" in tax by offshore booking, it's low single £Bn in total for the couple of dozen or so companies that can actually be fingered for this.

It's also always complicated by the media quoting sales values (which are not taxable) vs profit values which are. Take Amazon with it's nominal £9Bn of UK sales in 2018. That's sales for which there are costs, which when deducted leave your profits. If we assume that the profit Amazon makes is 25% of sales, that's a £2.15Bn profit rate, for which the corporate tax rate is 19%, which is £400M or so.

Multiply that by (at best) a couple of dozen similar companies and you're at around £10Bn pa. Not to be sniffed at - particularly given the state of public finances now, but for context, that represents about 1% of what government spending was supposed to be in FY20/21 without the WuFlu effect. Hardly game-changing.

Overall point being that we have been collectively living beyond our means for years prior to the current pandemic and that contrary to the narrative of the left, it isn't going to be fixed by taxing the evil multi-nationals.
You miss three points:
1)Amazon reinvest almost all their profits back into the business, hence have little corporation tax to pay.
2)They pay a shedload of employee taxes
3) Upping the tax in Amazon (et al) will simply mean the prices go up thereby making things more expensive for those at all levels of income, but hitting the poorest hardest

Much of that 80 seat majority was won with northern - traditionally labour - constituencies.

This lot are socially conservative, but they're to the left, economically.

If the Tories want to hold onto that majority there's a couple of things they need to do.

1. Ensure the NHS is kept in good nick. If they don't, this will fvck them at the next GE.

2. Be more economically left. I think Rishi's done a great job so far, but 'feeding hungry kids' is an issue that will cost relatively little money, but will back fire on them badly if they don't.
It need not cost any extra money, if the amounts required are deducted from whichever existing State Benefit contains/includes such payments intended for the purchase of food, and that money is used to fund a far more efficient, economic, provision of meals through the school kitchens, which would otherwise lay unused during the holiday period.

Me for a start.

I don't ask people to pay for my kids food, nor my mortgage, etc.

Our aim should be to reduce the NEED for benefits to an absolute minimum. Every penny spent should be aimed at reducing future spending of pounds.
Our aim should be to modify / remove the incentives introduced by the benefits system

But it's just hungry children you seem to get narky about.

I'm sure bigger savings could be made elsewhere, don't you think?
Incremental gains.

I'm sure savings can be made elsewhere, but the thread is about giving out free meals (not school meals) to kids whose parents are not feeding them.

There is little point in using the term 'hungry children' to insinuate that I'm sort of monster for not agreeing that a course of action is not the best way to deal with the issue. It may even be the cheapest option, short term, but it by far is not the most effective.

So we agree.

The priorities of the National Curriculum, are wrong/inadequate, have been for a number of years, and are responsible for producing the present generation of parents, unable to care for and adequately nurture their children.

What do you propose?
I’m not in the business any more so I don’t give a toss... “Every child in Education until 18” was not a clever idea, more kids going to University the same. Some kids are born to stack shelves, change tyres and flip burgers and if that floats their boat then jog on. In Germany frinstance, going to Uni/ Getting an apprenticeship are equally respected. Education is currently a political football to kick around to make headlines, it’s time it was left to the folks who understand it to be in charge again.

What about free meals for all pensioners?

On Radio 4 the other morning a chap admitted at 85 that living in a grotty council house that was cold & on only a state pension and poor private work pension he went shop lifting once a month to get sent to prison so he can have a warm room, comfy bed, 3 meals a day, company and when he gets released he does it all over again.

Society today.
Excellent! Get the old buggers off their backsides, down to their nearest school kitchen/dining room, to help supervise - and participate in, benefit from - the "Universal Free School Meals", the subject of this particular thread ;) .

Note: I have now qualified as a pensioner for a number of years :) .

I’m not in the business any more so I don’t give a toss... “Every child in Education until 18” was not a clever idea, more kids going to University the same. Some kids are born to stack shelves, change tyres and flip burgers and if that floats their boat then jog on.
Especially when you're looking at racking up a monstrous debt by going to Uni and gaining some worthless qualification.

There's more investment in the individual by companies apprenticing the youngsters too.

Excellent! Get the old buggers off their backsides, down to their nearest school kitchen/dining room, to help supervise - and participate in, benefit from - the "Universal Free School Meals", the subject of this particular thread ;) .

Note: I have now qualified as a pensioner for a number of years :) .
Sit the oldies with the kids.

The kids will learn something whilst they eat.

Maybe in the public sector, the private teachers I know are coining it in.
My niece went to private school. They charged extra for everything so the flow of stationery went the other way... they also charged school fees for the last half term, despite chinning the kids off at half term break.

You miss three points:
1)Amazon reinvest almost all their profits back into the business, hence have little corporation tax to pay.
2)They pay a shedload of employee taxes
3) Upping the tax in Amazon (et al) will simply mean the prices go up thereby making things more expensive for those at all levels of income, but hitting the poorest hardest

All of which (with the possible exception of point 1) I agree with. I'm merely pointing out that there isn't a golden goose called Amazon (or Google or Starbucks or any of the other usual suspects) waiting to be fleeced to provide free everything.

My niece went to private school. They charged extra for everything so the flow of stationery went the other way... they also charged school fees for the last half term, despite chinning the kids off at half term break.

They also get involved in the ACF and get a fat wedge of expenses.
It would be an outrage if I was paying for any of it, but im not, so, meh.

. . . . but the thread is about giving out free meals (not school meals) to kids whose parents are not feeding them.
The thread title . . . and discussion . . . is specifically “Universal Free School Meals".

Mind you . . . as that includes "Breakfast Clubs” providing cereal/bacon rolls/tea; and, a “proper” knife and fork school “dinner”; two of the three recognised daily meals are “catered” for.

“Two out of three, ain’t bad” ;) .
There is little point in using the term 'hungry children' to insinuate that I'm sort of monster for not agreeing that a course of action is not the best way to deal with the issue. It may even be the cheapest option, short term, but it by far is not the most effective.
It is suggested that the few £p included in whatever State Benefit to individual families for the provision of food, could/would be more effectively and efficiently used to fund and provide the bulk-buying of ingredients, and the preparation of more nutritious meals, in a central, canteen-type of environment.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
As already posted several times by others, "Domestic Science" or "Home Economics", used to work, was very useful and did produced positive results.

The should be no reason why, such a productive regime can not be introduced again.
There are several political movements grabbing the limelight in the UK at the moment. In no particular order, BLM, the LBTQ+ gender-nazis, and the feminists*.

The last-mentioned are relevant, here.

Having the girls doing cookery and the boys doing (now, arguably defunct) metal- and woodwork was deemed to be reinforcing gender stereotypes** and keeping women in the home/bound into poverty/unable to self-determine. This is, or was, deemed to be Very Bad.

One could also take the view of course that despite the propaganda, most people are heterosexual and will eventually end up in heterosexual relationships. Having around 50 per cent of those in those relationships able to put together halfway decent meals is probably a good thing. That doesn't mean that the women should have to do all the cooking (although don't tell SWMBO that).

*One could also describe them as Marxists, Marxists and Marxists.

**Increasingly difficult to equate as, according to the Alphabet Spaghetti lot, gender is a political construct and doesn't really exist. We will reach a point of being unmanageable as a society if all this lot get their way.

The thread title . . . and discussion . . . is specifically “Universal Free School Meals".

Mind you . . . as that includes "Breakfast Clubs” providing cereal/bacon rolls/tea; and, a “proper” knife and fork school “dinner”; two of the three recognised daily meals are “catered” for.

“Two out of three, ain’t bad” ;) .

It is suggested that the few £p included in whatever State Benefit to individual families for the provision of food, could/would be more effectively and efficiently used to fund and provide the bulk-buying of ingredients, and the preparation of more nutritious meals, in a central, canteen-type of environment.
As has been mentioned above.

Free SCHOOL meals are available. The current hoo-ha is about providing out of school time meals from school.

the school is not open for educational purposes but providing free scoff to kids. Let's say during August. Ie when the school is 'out for summer'.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m not in the business any more so I don’t give a toss... “Every child in Education until 18” was not a clever idea, more kids going to University the same. Some kids are born to stack shelves, change tyres and flip burgers and if that floats their boat then jog on. In Germany frinstance, going to Uni/ Getting an apprenticeship are equally respected. Education is currently a political football to kick around to make headlines, it’s time it was left to the folks who understand it to be in charge again.
Every child in education until 18 was a Labour ruse to get the youth unemployment figures down. It had sod all to do with opportunity. It had everything to do with political opportunism.

Latest Threads