Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

As already posted several times by others, "Domestic Science" or "Home Economics", used to work, was very useful and did produced positive results.

The should be no reason why, such a productive regime can not be introduced again.
You obviously haven’t been in school for a while... PSHCE, Citizenship, MFL, Humanities and ICT all have to be squeezed in now, replacing ‘non-academic’/arty subjects and many kids go home to a house devoid of books, tools, sewing kit and even cooking utensils. Why do Asian kids do better than white kids? Their mothers can drive a sewing machine and know how to cook, the boys learn to read early, albeit in Arabic and spend time in mosques where corporal punishment is commonplace.
It used to work. Coppers used to clip you round the ear.

You'd be surprised.

I've spent a fair bit of time in school staff rooms too.

If the parents aren't invested in the education of their spawn, we may as well give up now.
Oh, we're well beyond that situation in some places :( .

Thankfully not all. Thankfully not a large number - I hope!

But there is such a problem that has a disproportionate disruptive and negative effect, on everything/everyone else . . . and it cannot, should not, be ignored.

IMHO it underlines the appalling rentamob-led nature of government in UK, when a PM with an 80-seat majority cannot handle an issue even where it has the apparent support of the majority UK electorate.

Much of that 80 seat majority was won with northern - traditionally labour - constituencies.

This lot are socially conservative, but they're to the left, economically.

If the Tories want to hold onto that majority there's a couple of things they need to do.

1. Ensure the NHS is kept in good nick. If they don't, this will fvck them at the next GE.

2. Be more economically left. I think Rishi's done a great job so far, but 'feeding hungry kids' is an issue that will cost relatively little money, but will back fire on them badly if they don't.

You'd be surprised.

I've spent a fair bit of time in school staff rooms too.

If the parents aren't invested in the education of their spawn, we may as well give up now.
Indeed. Yet staff still persevere.

If there is a hungry child, the blame lies with the parent(s).
Agreed!

But . . . what if the parent is unwilling, incapable and/or unable to provide for their "little dears" - as is clearly evident in a number of cases - what does @Lifeboat21 propose ?!

Last edited:
Don't you understand that if big business wish to do business in the UK then they should pay their taxes? And so they should; their profits are made from the infrastructure of the UK.

There's a very dangerous narrative here. Because the likes of Amazon, Google etc book their profits outside the UK, certain folk - the ones prone to promising free everything - are pushing the message that all big business is doing the same. This is simply not true. Incidentally, when you analyse what those specific businesses "save" in tax by offshore booking, it's low single £Bn in total for the couple of dozen or so companies that can actually be fingered for this.

It's also always complicated by the media quoting sales values (which are not taxable) vs profit values which are. Take Amazon with it's nominal £9Bn of UK sales in 2018. That's sales for which there are costs, which when deducted leave your profits. If we assume that the profit Amazon makes is 25% of sales, that's a £2.15Bn profit rate, for which the corporate tax rate is 19%, which is £400M or so.

Multiply that by (at best) a couple of dozen similar companies and you're at around £10Bn pa. Not to be sniffed at - particularly given the state of public finances now, but for context, that represents about 1% of what government spending was supposed to be in FY20/21 without the WuFlu effect. Hardly game-changing.

Overall point being that we have been collectively living beyond our means for years prior to the current pandemic and that contrary to the narrative of the left, it isn't going to be fixed by taxing the evil multi-nationals.

RTU'd

Old-Salt
What about free meals for all pensioners?

On Radio 4 the other morning a chap admitted at 85 that living in a grotty council house that was cold & on only a state pension and poor private work pension he went shop lifting once a month to get sent to prison so he can have a warm room, comfy bed, 3 meals a day, company and when he gets released he does it all over again.

Society today.

You obviously haven’t been in school for a while... PSHCE, Citizenship, MFL, Humanities and ICT all have to be squeezed in now, replacing ‘non-academic’/arty subjects and many kids go home to a house devoid of books, tools, sewing kit and even cooking utensils. Why do Asian kids do better than white kids? Their mothers can drive a sewing machine and know how to cook, the boys learn to read early, albeit in Arabic and spend time in mosques where corporal punishment is commonplace.
It used to work. Coppers used to clip you round the ear.
It why we need to stream kids in schools.

My school was streamed. I started in Maths group 3, and worked my way to 2 (of six). In reality there was little difference between 1 and 2, 3 and 4, and 4 and 6.

We also had houses. In both my junior school and high school. points meant prizes.

If I remember the cooking lessons rightly, we had to bring in all our own ingredients, im fairly certain that Chavy McChavster wont be giving their kids **** all.
True. Teachers frequently sub the scunners rather than have them sitting in a corner playing with the gas. Teaching is the profession in which you steal stationery from home and take it to work...

And when the parents don't, society needs to step in.

Still, you're welcome to your beliefs, but I hope they're in a minority.

I can see another embarrassing gov u-turn coming on though.

Correct, the state should take the kids away if parents arent feeding them

I think most people agree that parents should feed their children.

There's a very dangerous narrative here. Because the likes of Amazon, Google etc book their profits outside the UK, certain folk - the ones prone to promising free everything - are pushing the message that all big business is doing the same. This is simply not true. Incidentally, when you analyse what those specific businesses "save" in tax by offshore booking, it's low single £Bn in total for the couple of dozen or so companies that can actually be fingered for this.

It's also always complicated by the media quoting sales values (which are not taxable) vs profit values which are. Take Amazon with it's nominal £9Bn of UK sales in 2018. That's sales for which there are costs, which when deducted leave your profits. If we assume that the profit Amazon makes is 25% of sales, that's a £2.15Bn profit rate, for which the corporate tax rate is 19%, which is £400M or so.

Multiply that by (at best) a couple of dozen similar companies and you're at around £10Bn pa. Not to be sniffed at - particularly given the state of public finances now, but for context, that represents about 1% of what government spending was supposed to be in FY20/21 without the WuFlu effect. Hardly game-changing.

Overall point being that we have been collectively living beyond our means for years prior to the current pandemic and that contrary to the narrative of the left, it isn't going to be fixed by taxing the evil multi-nationals.

I'm sure money's not really the issue here; it's a measly amount we're talking about.

Even the Express is on the side of hungry kids.

You obviously haven’t been in school for a while... PSHCE, Citizenship, MFL, Humanities and ICT all have to be squeezed in now, replacing ‘non-academic’/arty subjects and many kids go home to a house devoid of books, tools, sewing kit and even cooking utensils. Why do Asian kids do better than white kids? Their mothers can drive a sewing machine and know how to cook, the boys learn to read early, albeit in Arabic and spend time in mosques where corporal punishment is commonplace . . .
So we agree.

The priorities of the National Curriculum, are wrong/inadequate, have been for a number of years, and are responsible for producing the present generation of parents, unable to care for and adequately nurture their children.

What do you propose?

Sure, if you have an immoral taxation system that allows big business to pay very little tax, yet allows children to hungry.

Rich people tend to pay lots of taxes, big companies employ lots of people.

Why should either pay more because some people dont give a shit about their kids?

Its not the system that allows kids to go hungry, its their parents.

I'm sure money's not really the issue here; it's a measly amount we're talking about.

Even the Express is on the side of hungry kids.

You ******* pay for it then

The Express like most papers, panders to the mob.

Rich people tend to pay lots of taxes, big companies employ lots of people.

Why should either pay more because some people dont give a shit about their kids?

Its not the system that allows kids to go hungry, its their parents.

And when the parents fail, the system should step in.

It's not really that complicated.

True. Teachers frequently sub the scunners rather than have them sitting in a corner playing with the gas. Teaching is the profession in which you steal stationery from home and take it to work...

Maybe in the public sector, the private teachers I know are coining it in.

Latest Threads