Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

For those who need it, the system works very well. A Danish ex of mine is long-term sick with mental health issues. She was abandoned by her partner to look after a severely autistic child - oh, he also left her with around £70k of debts. Never let it be said that all ex-servicemen are honourable.

She gets a flat but it's in an area that, until recent redevelopment, would be described as 'lively'. She's also had to convert the front room into her room to give the child his own bedroom. She regularly uses food banks. That all said, the state is providing and there is a structured path for her to get back to work after being signed off. It may only be one or two hours a week long-term, but they work very closely with her. In reality, one/two hours a week is nothing but it's about keeping her engaged with reality and sanity.

But, like you say, the tax burden is horrendous.
I'd rather pay a 200% to someone who is giving back to the community as much as they can, than 50% to some feckless oxygen thief.

doc80905

War Hero
Yes they have made many monumental cock ups with the Covid response`s that will come back to bite them on the bum, what's the betting that the Government is heading for a u turn of free school meals during school holidays

Archie
A u-turn on this is an absolute certainty, a near one million signature petition and major dissent on the back benches will ensure it. As far as the covid response goes, well, my best mates mother died after her cancer treatment was "paused" due to the covid crisis. As this happened in Middlesbrough it is firmly under Matthew Hancocks watch. That particular one is going to legal action and not just for this case but there are also other ones. Not to mention some of the wilder stuff going on now such as the SNP's Christopher McEleny suggesting "internal passports", on the premise of controlling the "virus" to stop people travelling from infectious areas and there are elements in Wales and NI who also back the idea. Absolutely nothing to do with a virus of course and everything to do with the de facto break up of the UK by the back door...

The free school meals would have been a cheap win by the Government in the scheme of things, we are spending in the region of a billion a day to fund these ridiculous lockdowns, a QE class per week plus spare change, so what difference would this have made anyway. They will defo u turn, every indication I have from within the party (having been an SC&U member for 30 years) is that it will happen. This government, which I am having a hard time defending these days, seems to punt stories out to the Mail/Express/Telegraph and then read the comments sections to gauge public opinion and make a policy decision based on that (NS does the same up here with the Record/Scottish Sun). So u turn is imminent.

They had the chance to come out of this looking like the good guys and yet, again, they are going to look awesomely unpopular whilst u turning and giving out free school meals anyway.

Of course, not half as ridiculous as the latest one I hear, that in order to combat the independence thing the idea is to throw even more powers and money at NS. Do I, as a Unionist not suffer enough from this dreadful woman with her ludicrous daily "covid briefings" which are nothing more than a party political broadcast for the SNP? She's to get more power?? Jesus wept, what on earth is happening these days..?

We need root and branch reform of the benefits system.

I am absolutely, 100% for supporting those who need it and not increasing the misery.

But we shouldn't be allowing people to stagnate and rot on benefits for life. Nor allowing the feckless to drag their children down.

When was made redundant, did I need the money? No. I had a military pension from the 75 scheme for over 22 years service and a good rank. I also had a high five figure sum in the bank.

I also tapped into a Reserve wage of around £110 a day and stacked shelves in a supermarket (for a little less than £110 a day). I managed to get a contract for 6 months, and I also volunteered at a local farm which helps teach offenders the value of graft and also has a facility to help handicapable people. I upskilled, by doing some extra courses to expand my already significant breadth of qualifications, gaining a diploma (lvl 5) qualification too.

14 long months later, I got the job I wanted at the pay I wanted and the hours I wanted. A job I didn't set out to find, but found me. And a job that set me up for what I do now.

For me, stagnating was NEVER an option. I also really enjoyed the time with the kids. Who were taught the value of savings, working and getting qualifications.

Was I lucky or did I make my own luck?

However, my 14 months in the wilderness cost me £5-6k of savings. Possibly more when you remember I savagely cut back on expenditure like holibobs, trips, and the like.

I had a good safety net. Others who don't qualify for benefits may not have savings, or perhaps they don't have the guarantee of a substantial income from the age of 45 (+/-). Should they be forced into destitution? Or should their previous input be valued and they are given a true safety net to keep them at a level of living until they can find their feet (time limited)?

It took me about 12-18 months to recoup my losses to savings. I never had to use my credit card or approach one of those extortionate lenders of last resort. Once you've done that you truly are damned.

It ends with someone having to pay for that food.

The difference up stream is that big business tends to want to keep its own money, people on benefits need other peoples money.

Well that's a load of nonsense. It's like you're fine with big business ripping off the taxpayer, but get all narky about the little people doing it.

While ignoring the fact that kids still go hungry.

Also there is a well established low income support system. At the bottom end of which are those actually responsible for their children. Yet the government are in the dock. How did that happen?

Because we voted government in there, so they're in the dock.

If they're not careful, Labour will be in the dock.

It's just feeding hungry kids.

Well that's a load of nonsense. It's like you're fine with big business ripping off the taxpayer, but get all narky about the little people doing it.

While ignoring the fact that kids still go hungry.

Do you not understand the difference between people wanting to keep their own money and people wanting other people money?

If kids are going hungry blame their parents, not politicians, big business or anyone else.

Typical lesson is an hour or less. They’re not chefs, they have little skill and some have never seen a raw potato. 30 x 11yr olds with knives, kettles and hot stoves...and of course there‘s the Left Wing grooming and BLM propaganda to fit in, collect and set homework, hand out differentiated resources for the 30% of the class with Special Needs...
Cordon Bleu it ain’t...
As already posted several times by others, "Domestic Science" or "Home Economics", used to work, was very useful and did produced positive results.

The should be no reason why, such a productive regime can not be introduced again.

Easily solved.

The parents should be involved in the education of their children. There's a reason home educating kids have a much better outlook on the process than those actually in school.
You haven’t actually met many parents, have you?

Do you not understand the difference between people wanting to keep their own money and people wanting other people money?

If kids are going hungry blame their parents, not politicians, big business or anyone else.

Don't you understand that if big business wish to do business in the UK then they should pay their taxes? And so they should; their profits are made from the infrastructure of the UK.

It's like me arguing that I shouldn't pay tax because it's 'my own money'.

As already posted several times by others, "Domestic Science" or "Home Economics", used to work, was very useful and did produced positive results.

The should be no reason why, such a productive regime can not be introduced again.

If I remember the cooking lessons rightly, we had to bring in all our own ingredients, im fairly certain that Chavy McChavster wont be giving their kids **** all.

Don't you understand that if big business wish to do business in the UK then they should pay their taxes? And so they should; their profits are made from the infrastructure of the UK.

It's like me arguing that I shouldn't pay tax because it's 'my own money'.

They do pay their taxes, if they didn't they would go to jail.

What that got to do with them wanting to keep their own money and others wanting other peoples money?

4(T)

LE
No doubt the government/BJ will demonstrate its usual complete lack of spine and crumple into yet another U-turn.

Whats interesting is that the nearest thing we have to genuine vox populi - the DM comment section - is overwhelmingly hostile to the idea of handing feckless parents yet more money to feed their kids outside of school.

IMHO it underlines the appalling rentamob-led nature of government in UK, when a PM with an 80-seat majority cannot handle an issue even where it has the apparent support of the majority UK electorate.

The Tories are so inept that they cannot even deflect the deliberately disingenuous media tag "free school meals", which has now gained traction in global social media to give the impression that UK kids are to be deprived of food whilst in school.

Latest Threads