Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

Truxx

LE
It's not though; it's just feeding hungry kids whose parents are fvckwits.

Gov's scored a massive own goal with this one and they're going to look weak when they u-turn.

Just feed 'em; the UK can afford it. Maybe reduce the child element of tax credits or UC to cover the cost; or don't increase it as much as it would've.

Whatever, just get it done. The Northern Blue Wall would like it and those seats are now vital to any party who wants to stay in power.
I think another change in direction would do a lot of harm at this point.

I think that an initiative timed just ahead of the Chrismas break, would lance this particular boil.

It should, of course, never been allowed to get to this point because, as you say, it is peanuts.

Out there in the real world, I might add, many authorities etc have already put measures in place. My granddaughters school, for instance, publicised early last week that packed lunches, for those who needed them, would be available over half term, no questions asked.

It's not feeding every kid in the UK though; it's just those on really low incomes who qualify for free school dinners.
As suggested elsewhere at the very beginning, whilst Child Benefit remains universal for EVERYONE, you/we/the Government, might as well make/allow universal Free School Meals to be available for EVERYONE . . . and deduct the associated costs from everyones' Child Benefit ;) !!

Last edited:
council tax deduction is based on the simple premise that you wont be using as many services as provided for by the higher charge. ie 1/4 of a bin not a full bin.

Surely those on a low income are more likely to be eating junk food and drinking more thus filling their bins quicker

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
No, Romanian orphanages merely neglected their inmates. Some of our Social Services appear to have actually pimped out their " customers" to local gangs of Asian men.
Romanian orphanages contained many children who weren't orphans, but who had parents who were encouraged to hand them to the state to raise, so they could work harder and longer.

In addition to neglect, they didn't learn how to raise their own children in a loving, caring family network. That led to another generation of neglected children, living in sewers, selling their bodies for food, and not having a childhood. My son met many of them during his stints as a volunteer working with them.

That's the point I was making about the nanny state taking over the rearing of children.

What a 'Brave New World' they hope for.

I reckon someone would have dug the dirt if Rashford was up to some shady offshore tax arrangement.

He'd certainly be daft to be preaching like he does whilst aggressively avoiding tax. Whilst avoidance is legal, it would tarnish his ethical case for asking the public purse to fund more welfare
Like Mr J Saville?

As suggested elsewhere, whilst Child Benefit remains universal for EVERYONE, you/we/the Government, might as well make/allow universal Free School Meals available for EVERYONE . . . and deduct the associated costs from everyones' Child Benefit ;) !!
Child benefit is not a universal benefit now.

An invisible parenting problem, which nobody can see or wants to see. The reason being that it would a mammoth task to sort.
Reverable Sterlization once they have put some money in and passed the having kids GCSE?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Surely those on a low income are more likely to be eating junk food and drinking more thus filling their bins quicker
Nah, they’ll be at McDonalds by the time they get home the wrappers will be on the pavement.

The area manager from a major supermarket chain has agreed to keep hopes alive for the owners of a small tobacco, magazine and shoe repair kiosk on the high street. He will discuss the current discounts being allowed to them and a way forward to prevent their insolvency.

In this instance, it's the lower than projected occupancy that is the lowering the price.

Although to be fair, I would prefer not to lower the cost. If it is a big house, charge for maximum occupancy. If it is too expensive the occupants can move to a smaller house.

crow_bag

War Hero
I'm in an OU Facebook group, which claims to be a debating club (it's actually a left wing echo chamber).

Someone posted about whether it was right for MPs to call each other scum etc. The view was generally that the Tories are "nasty" "food snatchers" who have taken the "chance to eat" from the most needy.

Normal emotive language intended to try and use emotions to win an argument rather than discuss the issue like a grown up, with plenty of language thrown in to dehumanise the Tories for good measure.

The government should have voted for this and implemented it for a limited time, say just over Christmas and then review before the end of the next term etc.

But, what no one seems to be talking about is how to help people feed their children, it doesn't cost much to buy porridge and some milk, or to knock up a quick and easy cottage pie or meat loaf etc.

I did a quick look on the Tesco website, and the ingredients to make the same cottage pie I made for my son last week cost £5.73, and that is assuming they don't already have things like gravy or stock cubes etc.

And there would be things left over 2.5kg of Maris Piper potatos for £1.19 doesn't sound too bad to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Having already given parents money to fulfil the very function in question
Sssshhhh, not supposed to mention that!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm in an OU Facebook group, which claims to be a debating club (it's actually a left wing echo chamber).

Someone posted about whether it was right for MPs to call each other scum etc. The view was generally that the Tories are "nasty" "food snatchers" who have taken the "chance to eat" from the most needy.

Normal emotive language intended to try and use emotions to win an argument rather than discuss the issue like a grown up, with plenty of language thrown in to dehumanise the Tories for good measure.

The government should have voted for this and implemented it for a limited time, say just over Christmas and then review before the end of the next term etc.

But, what no one seems to be talking about is how to help people feed their children, it doesn't cost much to buy porridge and some milk, or to knock up a quick and easy cottage pie or meat loaf etc.

I did a quick look on the Tesco website, and the ingredients to make the same cottage pie I made for my son last week cost £5.73, and that is assuming they don't already have things like gravy or stock cubes etc.

And there would be things left over 2.5kg of Maris Piper potatos for £1.19 doesn't sound too bad to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
That's all well and good, but most lack the basic skills to cook a fresh meal, mainly because they come from a family wheresuch skills weren't taught, or most probably, used.

More nanny state, more people needing the government to wipe their backsides for them.
As was drummed into me on the old RQ's course. It's tax payers' money.

If you want a handout, you should have to justify your outgoings to the tax payer.

Every penny should be accounted for in a special book, preferably with receipts.

ie £5 on milk, £3 on spuds, £50 on electric bill.

For every penny the claimant can't account for, the benefits for the next week can be reduced.

That's all well and good, but most lack the basic skills to cook a fresh meal, mainly because they come from a family wheresuch skills weren't taught, or most probably, used.
Some time a go a friend was telling me that his child was due to have a cookery lesson at school. The parent's were given a shopping list.
1. Pre made sponge flan case
2. Small tin mixed fruit
3. Jelly cubes. Any flavour.

Latest Threads