Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

Silksheen

Swinger
We were left on our backside financially a few years back but we always ate pretty well. Slow Cookers are ace for this. I used to stock up on tins of things like cheap kidney beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn etc etc and then get the sausages and meat going out of date when it was priced low for clearance late at night. Vegetables too. You could make anything from chilli to stew to curries in them. I used to get some sausages, chorizo, onion, peppers and chilli and it would make a good meal for not a lot. You don't need to cook. Just stick it in and leave it on low all day. Easy. You can get a 3 litre Slow Cooker in Tesco for £13.

I was in Asda yesterday and Super Noodles are 50p a pack. that's less than a bag of crisps. Its not gourmet but it will keep you alive. I fail to see how parents are saying they cannot feed their children. And I wonder how many have Sky, a mobile and at at least one streaming service while pleading poverty.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
By the by, Rashford is paid some £200k per week to play football. Any word on his donation to this worthy cause?
He donates his words, they're priceless!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
By the by, Rashford is paid some £200k per week to play football. Any word on his donation to this worthy cause?
Yeh his big gob.
I remember when I was working and going into these salubrious properties to follow up on what we called “welfare checks”, yes this happened, concerned neighbours would phone telling us that little Johny would be playing with their kids and come lunch or dinner time would come in to their house or flat for something to eat and eat like there’s no tomorrow.
We checked the cupboards for what food was available, pot noodle and not a lot else at times. A report to social services and that’s the last we heard of it.
Unless the kid looked really ill or was suffering from physical injuries or indeed made any allegations there was nothing else we could do.
The one thing you couldn’t do, and we were told this is you can’t judge people against your standards.
At least reports went in, did it do any good? You and I know what social services are like, make your own minds up.
Some people don’t deserve kids.

We were left on our backside financially a few years back but we always ate pretty well. Slow Cookers are ace for this. I used to stock up on tins of things like cheap kidney beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn etc etc and then get the sausages and meat going out of date when it was priced low for clearance late at night. Vegetables too. You could make anything from chilli to stew to curries in them. I used to get some sausages, chorizo, onion, peppers and chilli and it would make a good meal for not a lot. You don't need to cook. Just stick it in and leave it on low all day. Easy. You can get a 3 litre Slow Cooker in Tesco for £13.

I was in Asda yesterday and Super Noodles are 50p a pack. that's less than a bag of crisps. Its not gourmet but it will keep you alive. I fail to see how parents are saying they cannot feed their children. And I wonder how many have Sky, a mobile and at at least one streaming service while pleading poverty.

This morning I've cooked up a dozen homegrown baby plum tomatoes, a red onion, half a broccoli and a bag of spinach, watercress and rocket, which I picked up from the Co-op yesterday for 29p. It will get added to freshly cooked pasta and topped with a couple of fried eggs. Nutritious, healthy and filling as well as cheap.

Another cheap recipe idea, for which you need three ingredients: chicken wings, soy sauce and coca cola. Buy a pack of chicken wings and cut each wing in half. Marinade them in soy sauce for half an hour, then fry in a pan for four minutes on each side. No oil is required. Finally, add 330ml of coca cola and simmer on a medium heat until all of the liquid has reduced and the chicken wings are coated in a sticky glaze. Serve and enjoy!

Last edited:
The problem with that is many modern, so-called parents will just stare at the produce and wonder what on earth to do with it. Many can’t manage Dairylea Triangles on Toast!
We don’t all have Michelin stars you know?

Yeh his big gob.
I remember when I was working and going into these salubrious properties to follow up on what we called “welfare checks”, yes this happened, concerned neighbours would phone telling us that little Johny would be playing with their kids and come lunch or dinner time would come in to their house or flat for something to eat and eat like there’s no tomorrow.
We checked the cupboards for what food was available, pot noodle and not a lot else at times. A report to social services and that’s the last we heard of it.
Unless the kid looked really ill or was suffering from physical injuries or indeed made any allegations there was nothing else we could do.
The one thing you couldn’t do, and we were told this is you can’t judge people against your standards.
At least reports went in, did it do any good? You and I know what social services are like, make your own minds up.
Some people don’t deserve kids.

Pot noodles aren't great being processed carbs and salt, but you can soon add some chopped up frankfurters for protein and some tinned sweetcorn. It's basic but it's a hot meal and will fill you up.

concerned neighbours would phone telling us that little Johny would be playing with their kids and come lunch or dinner time would come in to their house or flat for something to eat and eat like there’s no tomorrow.

I still do that now. As a kid even if I'd had my tea if I was offered food I was straight in there.

Both according to those shouting the loudest, because we're a well off country on the world scale they interpret this as bottomless money pit where every available penny should be spent on providing everyone with the lifestyle they want without them having to work for it. I'm waiting for the "scrap use trident and no kid will ever go hungry again" argument to start again.
Selected cities only, of course.

Years ago when I went to the local comprehensive we had Domestic Science classes once a week. Mostly it was cookery where we learned to make all sorts of things including pastry, stews, puddings and stuff but occasionally the class would be taught how to iron a shirt, darn woolly socks and change a plug. Don't they exist these days?
For the 10 millionth time...
Yes they do. It’s called Food Technology (or food science now) and Textiles Technology and it’s part of the National Curriculum.

Yokel

LE
The only cookery I did at school was making a potato salad, cooking a chicken portion and a jacket potato, and a sponge cake. A three course meal.... On other threads I have talked about the way society is becoming deskilled and not only losing practical skills but the personal instinct do do things for themselves. Remember the news story about people taking to Twitter to say they were hungry when KFC had no Chicken...?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Years ago when I went to the local comprehensive we had Domestic Science classes once a week. Mostly it was cookery where we learned to make all sorts of things including pastry, stews, puddings and stuff but occasionally the class would be taught how to iron a shirt, darn woolly socks and change a plug. Don't they exist these days?
The girls did that and us boys did woodwork and metal work. Cookery for the girls twice a week, woodwork and then metal work for us boys.
Nothing wrong with that, then when you grow up and meet the girl of your dreams you know she can cook......... and she thinks you can put shelves up.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

A 500g pack of savers pasta is around 30p, and will feed far more than a single pack of super noodles

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
The girls did that and us boys did woodwork and metal work. Cookery for the girls twice a week, woodwork and then metal work for us boys.
Nothing wrong with that, then when you grow up and meet the girl of your dreams you know she can cook......... and she thinks you can put shelves up.
We boys did woodwork or metalwork and we also did Rural Science which involved growing all sorts of vegetables which was handy. (There was a beehive as well but we weren't allowed near that). Shame that the current crop of today's parents didn't have some of our practical classes at school, or that they didn't listen...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Fancy a nice cheap hot meal, why not eat here?

A 500g pack of savers pasta is around 30p, and will feed far more than a single pack of super noodles

And a tin of chopped tomatoes is around 35p. Instant pasta and tomato sauce. Add some salt and pepper and a bit of sugar or ketchup to reduce the acidity of the tomatoes and you have a quick and filling meal.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

My year at school was the last segregated, However as the boys and girls school were officially now mixed it meant instead of the usual year of woodwork, we got a term of wood work, a term of home economics and a term of domestic science.

At one point my parents were the proud owners of a letter rack (wooden) and a book mark (linen). I think I made a rice pudding, which I ate.

However, the experiment was short lived as we seemed to have only quest in Domestic science which was to see who could get a sewing machine to go the fastest! resulting in fatal consequences for said machines and the teacher spending hours untangling the various threads, usually just in time for us to arrive the next week. We wee quickly relegated to hand sewing only.
Anything we produced being liberally decorated with blood stains from stabbing ourselves and each other with needles!
We were judged t be safer with eth saws, hammers and chisels!

All this fuss over St Rashford and feeding the children of 'parents' who are unable to feed their own children. In my time I've had dealings with people who survived on food banks, one person in particular who took their children out of school for six weeks to go on holiday in Jamaica. Or another family whose kids wore trainers worth over £100, had the latest game consoles and games...I could go on.
Here's an interesting list of benefits that these 'families' are entitled to but for some reason the MSM seem to have turned a blind eye in mentioning...

Child benefit
Child tax credits
Housing benefit
Council tax benefit
Free dental care
Free prescriptions
Discretionary housing payment
Universal credit
Rent costs paid in universal credit
Up front payments from universal credit
Childcare vouchers
Free nursery places