Universal Credit: fit for purpose?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by GrumpyWasTooCheerful, Oct 18, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Like that’s something to be proud of. They’d have had a difficult job doing that before 2004. There were 56 in 2010 which had grown to 445 by 2015.
    (Acc to the Trussel trust). This targeted welfare benefit, to those most in need is obviously working so well, food banks are only being abused by the greedy well off.

2. daz

daz LE

Sorry, are you arguing that not directing people in need towards a source of help is a good idea?
    The rule change allowing people to be directed to third parties such as food banks, was brought in to help people, even if they had transgressed the rules (Benefits stoppages for non compliance, which despite the myth have been in place for years, even under Labour administrations) or don't qualify for benefits.

• Like Like x 1
  3. An update -

emailed the council, explained my circumstances and asked them to look at my HB claim again. Today a bloke came out, did a quick assessment, filled in a small form and said -

'I'll go back to the office and write my report; I'll be recommending that your claim is adjusted to discount the spare room subsidy and that this should be back-dated to April.'
    An extra £75 ish a month and £500/600 ish back pay.

ARRSE strikes again. My thanks to those who advised that it might be worth my investigating further.

• Like Like x 4