Universal Credit: fit for purpose?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by GrumpyWasTooCheerful, Oct 18, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think the rules changed earlier this year, so if you can't sleep with the missus because of a disability you don't lose anything for having a "spare" room.

As I say, I don't know what's wrong with you but it might be worth looking into.

2. Further to my last, the adjustments made to the law in 2017 pertain to overnight carers needing the extra room. At least that was my thoughts on re-reading some gov.uk regs.

In referring to said regs again in order to post this, I've noticed an extra bit that does indeed pertain to me and will need to contact my local council offices to make sure they have all my information and ask them to reassess my housing benefit.

My thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll report in the future on the results of my actions.

• Like Like x 5
  3. I would suggest the power, prestige and the chance to tell others what to do while ignoring the rules yourself.

At no time when MPs were unpaid can I find any account in the history books of vacant seats in the HoC due tolack of pay.

As for paying for quality. Read the sigs block below, chiz chiz.

• Like Like x 1
  4. daz

daz LE

However, before pay come in, it only attracted those who could afford to become a MP, I'd rather pay them the going rate for the job

5. Thing is @daz MPs despite appearances to the contrary set their own T&C, and the decline of the British Empire starts off around about the time MPs started getting paid* (I believe the pay was meant to enable the poorer types to enter parliament but not so much that it could become a profession in its own right, didn't work out as planned)

Nowadays MPs have to keep in with the party and then the voters to keep the pay packets coming. hence the rise of single issue MPs and greasy pole climbers.

*You can also use female suffrage if you feel argumentative.;)

6. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

There’s a thing. Somebody on tv asked about the number of foodbanks used in a sample.
    ‘425’ was the response
    ‘So a very small sample ‘.

425 foodbanks is a very small sample. How many of these things are there?

And we’re the 6th biggest economy on the planet. We’ve got foodbanks, people who are working claiming benefit. Probably getting help with their rent. Zero hours work contracts. Highest employment, lowest tax take and now those that have it are salting it away offshore.

Awesome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  7. Proof that at least the lights are on....

8. Figures are from 2 years ago but:
    UK had around 2,000 food banks with about 913,000 users. Germany has about 1,500,000 people using them per week and France has about double the amount of food banks that UK has.
    Before the banking crisis of 2008, one of the largest runners of food banks in 2004, they ran 2 food banks, by 2007-08 this had gone up to 22 and by 2011 this had gone up to 100. This has risen by 3 a week since then and they now run almost 1000.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Yet people seem to be comfortable with their existence. How times have changed.

10. daz

daz LE

Almost like its an industry .... I wonder if that matches the normal sort of growth rate in the third sector.

11. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

That’s the sort of growth industry we could do without encouraging. If foodbanks were something of its time and a symptom of the past. I’d be a lot happier about Brexit. If we’re doing so well and it’s all going swimmingly, we should at least be able to look after our most vulnerable.
    It can’t all be a con.

12. Very much doubt if it has anything to do with Brexit. The rise took place after two significant points:
    1. The banking crisis of 2008 which had an effect but not that much.
    2. The welfare cuts in 2012 which has shown a significant rise in the numbers using them.
    FT Pretty Picture
    And yet another pretty picture from the Inde this time
    [​IMG]
    Both seem to blame the cuts in welfare with the UC being blamed for the recent rise in some areas.

13. The one thing that nobody is able to answer is this

"IF UC, or benefits cuts, are to blame for the rise in the use of food banks, then why isn't every fecker on UC or benefits using said food banks".

Seems to me that a hell of a lot of people are managing to get by without using food banks, which does kinda point to where the problem lies.

And it ain't with the system, as already said.

14. One thing I've never understood in the UK (and still don't after alll these years) is how widely prevalent these chargeable phone numbers are for calling things like customer service. Back in the U.S., it would be almost unheard of. Unless you're calling something stupid like sex chat or some shit like that.

15. daz

daz LE

Back to the Labour administration rules then that forbid Job Centres mentioning food banks to their clients, as opposed to the active promotion that seems to be the current situation?

• Like Like x 1