Universal Credit: fit for purpose?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
IDS is a tw4t. Complete & utter.
Urbane and outwardly sensible, inside doesn't give a sh!t about anyone other than himself and his cronies.

UC, good idea but execution screwed up by (un-)Civil Service as usual.
The civil service did it.?
They gave the work to hmrc who aren’t used to giving money out, their job was bringing revenue in. Then when they realised they hadn’t enough bodies in GB they outsourced a lot of it to NI.
They privatised it, that was a massive and extensive failure. Those responsible were typed over to Civil Serice T&Cs
Without any vetting or checking.

How come this sort of thing didn’t happen under Thatcher or Wilson. Blair or Heath. Different people, different views yet the CS did their jobs

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Was

Wasn’t UC set up to save money and cut down on this sort of thing. It was meant to be fraud proof.
Another great idea from IDS.
No doubt he’ll be out tomorrow denying it.
The fraud proofing is against fraudulent claims, not a punter being fraudulently scammed out of their money. I doubt there is much the govt or anyone can do to mitigate the foolishness of Joe/Jo Public.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The fraud proofing is against fraudulent claims, not a punter being fraudulently scammed out of their money. I doubt there is much the govt or anyone can do to mitigate the foolishness of Joe/Jo Public.
Well they can. I think we’ve seen the last of referendums for a while.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
IDS is a tw4t. Complete & utter.
Urbane and outwardly sensible, inside doesn't give a sh!t about anyone other than himself and his cronies.

UC, good idea but execution screwed up by (un-)Civil Service as usual.
I have met him and you are correct , he was invited to speak at our branch of the institute of credit management and when on to boast that when he was at GEC he never paid a bill until a legal letter arrived . Which was a bit like inviting Peter Sutcliff to a whores tea party !!
His light was on but no one was in

The one thing that nobody is able to answer is this

"IF UC, or benefits cuts, are to blame for the rise in the use of food banks, then why isn't every fecker on UC or benefits using said food banks".

Seems to me that a hell of a lot of people are managing to get by without using food banks, which does kinda point to where the problem lies.

And it ain't with the system, as already said.
Those other people will be getting help from their familes. My brother used to buy me extra food when I was on Universal Credit.

Those other people will be getting help from their familes. My brother used to buy me extra food when I was on Universal Credit.
Was that due to problems with their administration, late payments etc. or was it not enough to cover your bills and shopping expenses?