Universal Credit: fit for purpose?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Almost like its an industry .... I wonder if that matches the normal sort of growth rate in the third sector.
That’s the sort of growth industry we could do without encouraging. If foodbanks were something of its time and a symptom of the past. I’d be a lot happier about Brexit. If we’re doing so well and it’s all going swimmingly, we should at least be able to look after our most vulnerable.
It can’t all be a con.

That’s the sort of growth industry we could do without encouraging. If foodbanks were something of its time and a symptom of the past. I’d be a lot happier about Brexit. If we’re doing so well and it’s all going swimmingly, we should at least be able to look after our most vulnerable.
It can’t all be a con.
Very much doubt if it has anything to do with Brexit. The rise took place after two significant points:
1. The banking crisis of 2008 which had an effect but not that much.
2. The welfare cuts in 2012 which has shown a significant rise in the numbers using them.
FT Pretty Picture
And yet another pretty picture from the Inde this time

Both seem to blame the cuts in welfare with the UC being blamed for the recent rise in some areas.

Very much doubt if it has anything to do with Brexit. The rise took place after two significant points:
1. The banking crisis of 2008 which had an effect but not that much.
2. The welfare cuts in 2012 which has shown a significant rise in the numbers using them.
FT Pretty Picture
And yet another pretty picture from the Inde this time

Both seem to blame the cuts in welfare with the UC being blamed for the recent rise in some areas.
The one thing that nobody is able to answer is this

"IF UC, or benefits cuts, are to blame for the rise in the use of food banks, then why isn't every fecker on UC or benefits using said food banks".

Seems to me that a hell of a lot of people are managing to get by without using food banks, which does kinda point to where the problem lies.

And it ain't with the system, as already said.

One thing I've never understood in the UK (and still don't after alll these years) is how widely prevalent these chargeable phone numbers are for calling things like customer service. Back in the U.S., it would be almost unheard of. Unless you're calling something stupid like sex chat or some shit like that.

It can’t all be a con.
Back to the Labour administration rules then that forbid Job Centres mentioning food banks to their clients, as opposed to the active promotion that seems to be the current situation?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Back to the Labour administration rules then that forbid Job Centres mentioning food banks to their clients, as opposed to the active promotion that seems to be the current situation?
Like that’s something to be proud of. They’d have had a difficult job doing that before 2004. There were 56 in 2010 which had grown to 445 by 2015.
(Acc to the Trussel trust). This targeted welfare benefit, to those most in need is obviously working so well, food banks are only being abused by the greedy well off.

Like that’s something to be proud of. They’d have had a difficult job doing that before 2004. There were 56 in 2010 which had grown to 445 by 2015.
(Acc to the Trussel trust). This targeted welfare benefit, to those most in need is obviously working so well, food banks are only being abused by the greedy well off.
Sorry, are you arguing that not directing people in need towards a source of help is a good idea?
The rule change allowing people to be directed to third parties such as food banks, was brought in to help people, even if they had transgressed the rules (Benefits stoppages for non compliance, which despite the myth have been in place for years, even under Labour administrations) or don't qualify for benefits.

Further to my last, the adjustments made to the law in 2017 pertain to overnight carers needing the extra room. At least that was my thoughts on re-reading some gov.uk regs.

In referring to said regs again in order to post this, I've noticed an extra bit that does indeed pertain to me and will need to contact my local council offices to make sure they have all my information and ask them to reassess my housing benefit.

My thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll report in the future on the results of my actions.
An update -

emailed the council, explained my circumstances and asked them to look at my HB claim again. Today a bloke came out, did a quick assessment, filled in a small form and said -

'I'll go back to the office and write my report; I'll be recommending that your claim is adjusted to discount the spare room subsidy and that this should be back-dated to April.'
An extra £75 ish a month and £500/600 ish back pay.

ARRSE strikes again. My thanks to those who advised that it might be worth my investigating further.

The one thing that nobody is able to answer is this

"IF UC, or benefits cuts, are to blame for the rise in the use of food banks, then why isn't every fecker on UC or benefits using said food banks".

Seems to me that a hell of a lot of people are managing to get by without using food banks, which does kinda point to where the problem lies.

And it ain't with the system, as already said.
Maybe those on benefits aren't as universally similar as universal credit assumes?

Caps are more selective than cuts too. Just an observation.

Going on employment statistics it’s been succesful getting people into work.

Unfortunately such badly paid jobs and shit Ts and Cs that we as tax payers are still having to fork out for top ups to keep all these hard workers with roofs over their heads

While business thrives on cheap unprotected labour while dodging as much tax as possible.

In other news the BBC does something right for once, don’t hear that very often

Poor little lambs

Putting the talent on the books causing them to have to pay the same tax (and the BBC pays NI) as the rest of us plebs

"IF UC, or benefits cuts, are to blame for the rise in the use of food banks, then why isn't every fecker on UC or benefits using said food banks"
In my case my brother bought me some food when I had nothing. I almost went to the food bank, but it would have cost me £4 to get to citizens advice to get assessed after which I would be given an appointment to get a food bank voucher which would have cost another £4 in busfares. At the time I was thinking I would be better off if I just spent the £8 on food which is what I did. Also, you are only allowed to use a food bank so many times a year. I think its something like 3 or 4 times and each time people are only given 3 days supply of food.

Since then, the DOWP have declared me unfit for work. So they are giving me an extra £328 a month. So at least I wont have to worry about feeding myself. They have to give me this extra money because I made my claim before the Tories cut the extra money that sick and disabled people get. The bloke at the job centre said that I am the only person that he has seen who is doing something to improve their employment prospects, even though I am ill.

In my case my brother bought me some food when I had nothing. I almost went to the food bank, but it would have cost me £4 to get to citizens advice to get assessed after which I would be given an appointment to get a food bank voucher which would have cost another £4 in busfares. At the time I was thinking I would be better off if I just spent the £8 on food which is what I did. Also, you are only allowed to use a food bank so many times a year. I think its something like 3 or 4 times and each time people are only given 3 days supply of food.

Since then, the DOWP have declared me unfit for work. So they are giving me an extra £328 a month. So at least I wont have to worry about feeding myself. They have to give me this extra money because I made my claim before the Tories cut the extra money that sick and disabled people get. The bloke at the job centre said that I am the only person that he has seen who is doing something to improve their employment prospects, even though I am ill.
I've liked your post mate, although there's nothing really to like about it - if you know what I mean.

Good effort for continuing to strive.

I just spent 40 minutes waiting on the Universal Credit phone line. I hung up and I will try again in a few days. Whenever I phone them, I always end up waiting at least 30 minutes before I get to speak to someone. They should take on more staff, its ridiculous!