Universal Credit: fit for purpose?

It's not a bottomless pit.

If David was eligible for payments, then he was eligible.

Doesn't mean we should be paying to house folk in houses larger than their needs.
Wonder how much the state would save if it charged full market rent for grace and favour residences?

See the phaff to find this out back in 2010, it starts:

./foiextract20120918-7661-7qod06-0

then:

Departmental Reports

then:
Departmental Report 2007

but you won't find the answer in there, so we try:
Departmental Report 2006

ummmm.... let's try:
Departmental Report 2006

And you know what, I seriously cannot bothered to skim through any more as they will not give a straight answer to the question on how grace and favour residences cost. I wonder fceking why....?!

If your great gran can remember them they must have been the very last ones.

Certainly the one I walked around, there was only three staff. If they were handing out beatings there would be a riot.

The record book seemed to show number of seasonal visitors, working the fields in summer and coming in to the workhouse in winter.

They wouldn't do that for a beating.

And you know what, I seriously cannot bothered to skim through any more as they will not give a straight answer to the question on how grace and favour residences cost. I wonder fceking why....?!
Some grace and favour pads are not as spacious as others mind.

If your great gran can remember them they must have been the very last ones.

Certainly the one I walked around, there was only three staff. If they were handing out beatings there would be a riot.

The record book seemed to show number of seasonal visitors, working the fields in summer and coming in to the workhouse in winter.

They wouldn't do that for a beating.
She was born towards the end of Victoria's reign and had the "pleasure" of being in the workhouse before WW1 and just after.

Some grace and favour pads are not as spacious as others mind.
Nice addresses al though aren't they.

Short extract of the costs of Downing Street:

The total resource expenditure for maintaining the entire Downing street
estate for the financial year 2007-08 was £1.288 million. This includes the
exceptional resource cost of £810,664, which has already been published, for
essential work to the exterior of the Downing street estate again in
consultation with English Heritage. Resource spend includes maintenance of
fixed assets, the fabric of the building, floors, walls and ceilings and the
upkeep and repair of heritage assets.

and, here's a nice eyebrow lifter, Roger Moore style:

As part of the resource spend, the cost of routine maintenance on the flat
above No. 11 Downing street for the most recent financial years is set out as
follows:

£
2005-06 35,293
2006-07 14,832
2007-08 28,150

The PM and his/here family live there rent-free. Hmmm

What's the salary of a PM again?

MrDave

War Hero
Oh, and most people don't pay enough in income taxes to balance what they take out
It depends on what they take out. but lets say, my mother, and father, and my grand parents worked all of their lives which they did, and to my knowledge none of them were ever unemployed. Add to that my sister who to my knowledge was never unemployed. She worked full time as a teacher until her death. So basically my Universal Credit was paid for by all of the above members and extended members of my family plus taxes paid by myself. So I can pick up my Universal Credit knowing that it was paid for by members of my own family. No guilt trip just a hand up in my time of need.

The so-called bedroom tax merely brings council/housing association tenancies into line with private tenancies.

I'm paying it now and have previously paid the extra in privately rented accommodation as my eldest kids moved out.

Being ill, I sleep in the 'spare' bedroom by necessity but the rules don't allow that this is relevant to my claim for housing benefit.

I'm aware and grateful that I'm being paid by other peoples' taxes.

Unfortunatly whilst I could make the same claim regarding my parents - My Dads Brothers , sisters nephew nieces and their offspring (it amounts to at least 40 or 50 - ( probably more** - after all you can afford 6 kids if you recieve additional money for each one )
Have spent my share, my grandchildrens and my grandchildrens grandchildrens grandchildrens share - sadly all

**It gets tricky they al have 5 or 6 kids - they probably have similar numbers - and they are probably doing the same now- although optimum breeding benefit ratios are interrupted by stints at her majesties pleasure ( Apropos of nothing sheep skin rugs are a forensic teams best friend )

daz

LE
If you've paid full N.I. it is not aid, it is an entitlement.
To quote HMG
National Insurance contributions count towards the benefits and pensions in the table.
Note, not paid in full, counts towards - from memory the breakpoint its around the higher rate tax payer you become a net contributor, below that and you're a net recipient.

Again from memory, its around 60% ish of people are net debtors, claiming more in aid than they pay in taxes .

NI counts towards the following dependant on what class contributions you pay:

Basic State Pension
Additional State Pension
New State Pension
Contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
Maternity Allowance
Bereavement Payment
Bereavement Allowance
Widowed Parent’s Allowance
Bereavement Support Payment

Not counted is HB, LHA, help with Council tax, child benefit and a host of other state aid that people might qualify for.

daz

LE

follows:

£
2005-06 35,293
2006-07 14,832
2007-08 28,150

Sorry, the point of your envy is?

Salary and benefit package is part of the job, fancy the same deal, get elected to Parliament, become head of the governing party .......and hope you don't get knifed in the back by your own side :)

Sorry, the point of your envy is?

Salary and benefit package is part of the job, fancy the same deal, get elected to Parliament, become head of the governing party .......and hope you don't get knifed in the back by your own side :)
Envy? It's our money.

When we pay MPs and ministers the the average wage without perks, and nothing else, you won't hear a peep out of me.

Oh and have a like for the knife :)

daz

LE
Envy? It's our money.

When we pay MPs and ministers the the average wage without perks, and nothing else, you won't hear a peep out of me.

Oh and have a like for the knife :)
You do that and if you think the muppets we've had for the last few parliaments are bad..... you'd be praying for them to come back - average for the UK is apparently £27,271, why would anyone bother with the crap they put up with for that, considering they are framing the laws and running the country.

You do that and if you think the muppets we've had for the last few parliaments are bad..... you'd be praying for them to come back - average for the UK is apparently £27,271, why would anyone bother with the crap they put up with for that, considering they are framing the laws and running the country.
They don't go into it for the upfront money... tsk. ;)

It depends on what they take out. but lets say, my mother, and father, and my grand parents worked all of their lives which they did, and to my knowledge none of them were ever unemployed. Add to that my sister who to my knowledge was never unemployed. She worked full time as a teacher until her death. So basically my Universal Credit was paid for by all of the above members and extended members of my family plus taxes paid by myself. So I can pick up my Universal Credit knowing that it was paid for by members of my own family. No guilt trip just a hand up in my time of need.
What an utter fantasist you are

Assuming that none of your folks took out during their life.

Ie pension, child benefits, NHS.

Besides that, however, no 11 doesn't put money aside like that.

If you are not contributing but you are in receipt of hand outs then all the workers of the day are supporting you.

Believe it or not your 'my parents paid for me' excuse was tried on Jeremy Kyle by some fat, unemployed bird.

follows:

£
2005-06 35,293
2006-07 14,832
2007-08 28,150

Double use of the accommodation.

If the pm had to find their own accommodation we'd still pay for downing street.

And probably more for the protection of a random house in UK.

Besides the actual living area of number 10 isn't palatial.

Similar to the beefeaters and their pads inside the Tower.

Assuming that none of your folks took out during their life.

Ie pension, child benefits, NHS.

Besides that, however, no 11 doesn't put money aside like that.

If you are not contributing but you are in receipt of hand outs then all the workers of the day are supporting you.

Believe it or not your 'my parents paid for me' excuse was tried on Jeremy Kyle by some fat, unemployed bird.
Going by his logic, I should be due a decent handout from HMG since my mother died of cancer before she could collect her state pension...

I think if you had had grandparents who had lived under that system, you might change your opinion. The workhouse was a very unpleasant place and a racket -- not brought in with that intention but it turned out that way. The only benefit that could be argued for it was that it did provide rudimentary free medical attention and care.
As I said, not necessarily good....
The intention ( and operation in some cases) proved a lot better for the "poor" of the parish than the alternative.
Judged by today's standards totally unacceptable, but 150+ plus years ago they provided a much needed relief for people.
(Incidentally, I believe the Southwell establishment was still open to residents as late as the 1960s (?) Not in its original form though, more B&B accommodation).

Latest Threads