Unity urged over military charities

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by MARTOK, Jan 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On one level I support some form of rationalisation. On another, I cannot support it. If we had one body, MoD would have their fingers all over it trying to weedle themselves out of paying for core activity and applying pressure for this 'charitable' body (presumably headed up by a Dannatt figure) to fund the central military G1 support activity. I contend that there is merit in having this charitable work so diverse that MoD influence cannot be guaranteed. Indeed, I suggest that the reason that Help4Heros gained so much popular support was that the other main stream charities were considered too much part of the establishment.
  2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

About time, I still have massive misgivings of just why so many people want to start a Charity, FFS if you want to do good deeds just collect for one of the ones that at least knows what they are doing
  3. Have you always had a personality disorder?
  4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

No ,but I f@cking hate gobshites the religious and cnuts who try to run cons , Particularly involving ex soldiers
  5. Could not agree more. 100% behind H4H but, why do ALL the other charities have to be headed by a retired 4* or above. I work for 2 military charities, as a reserve SNCO and do get a tad fed up of the area management using it for their la de da meetings and G&T gatherings. There is a least one very small old military charity that meet once a year and have a lunch (from the dividend from long-term investments), have a natter and arrange a meeting for the following year. No welfare support, nothing, a bit like my local RBL branch welfare that managed TWO visits in 6 months whilst the RNA / RAFA / SSAFA did loads. There are a lot of very hardworking volunteers in the charities to whom I take my hat off to.
  6. Not sure it's a good idea having 1 charity. Chances are it would end up as a massive empire building exercise with a huge bloated admin dept that costs millions to run and the "frontline" staff would suffer. Much like the NHS is today.
  7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I couldn't agree more but this system we have now of complete ******* starting "EX-Forces "charities is ridiculous
  8. The fact that the general public are donating to the tune of £800 million per year can only be a good thing.

What I would like to know is were does it all go. Is a majority of it spent or re-distributed as quickly as possible. The article states that H4H has already spent £80m of the £82m it has so far raised thats fantastic and as it should be, the public are donating and expect their money to be used now not banked for the future.

Who / what are these 2000 charities, what are their causes and where has the money gone?

Before anyone jumps on the outrage bus Im not accusing any of the charities of mishandling donations Im just saying that there should be more publicity about were the money has been spent.