Units Within the Signals

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by eddinho, Jul 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I could not find a thread for this, but i am about to start phase 1 in september as a CSE and I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea for what the units are like within the signals. I know its a while away before i would get posted to a unit (hopefully will pass both p1 and p2) but I was informed that you can request a preference for what unit you would like to join.

I was just hoping anyone with info about the units could shed a bit more light than whats on the army website, as I would just like a little more info on what to expect further down the line
  2. Units depends on trade and you can put your dream sheet in (pick areas that you skill IS employed).... further on down the line is an interesting journey.
  3. Thanks for that, i dont suppose you know whether or not cyprus is an option for a comms system engineer as i wouldn't mind not being UK based.
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Well theres a reason its called a Dread Sheet!
  5. CS Eng posts are limited in Cyprus but not as limited as other trade groups.
    Also, ALWAYS put what you want on your dream sheet, even if you are currently at a gucci posting. Don't ask don't get!
  6. Plenty of good jobs available for CS Engineers all over the place.

Put Cyprus at the top of your PPP if that's what you want, be aware that if there's no available slots at any of your selections then you'll get whatever Glasgow need to fill.

It's worth asking your chain of command if they can find out from Liz/Danny what slots are available before you're due posting, letting them know the particular postings you're interested in. As long as you're not a throbber, they should help you out.
  7. Thanks for the advice I shall look into that closer to the time. Are you in the signals or know someone who is? I'm just looking for more info on the day to day kinda life of a CSE as well

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  8. Agreed you don't get if you don't ask.

Liz and Danny has helped me get the best postings I could have had every time. Simply by letting me know what's available I've gone for the best option or shaped my posting around my plans.
  9. I'm CS Eng (AKA Tech, Sys Eng, whatever HQ SOinC are calling the trade this week). There's not really a "typical" day as the job is so varied now. You could be in a TM Troop workshop fixing (well, backloading!) radios, you might be running a Satcoms det, or helping remotely manage a deployed network of computers, or possibly sat at a helpdesk providing first line support.

You're better off waiting 'til you get to Phase 2, and asking around then. You'll be surrounded by permanent staff and upgraders who'll be able to tell you about specific units from their own experience (well, some of them!). For now, just concentrate on getting through basic training and becoming a good soldier, then the trade stuff will follow.