United Nations verdict on UK Human Rights Record

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pyianno, Jun 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Only in the Grauniad then? That is never encouraging reading.
    If only the UN had some credibility in these here parts, and spoke from a position of honesty and impartiality, some others might give a fcuk.
    Most will not.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Read the report in the 9 minutes it took you to respond to my original post then did you?
  3. There for the grace of god walks Cameron. Which is why they would never offer up a minister or other to a criminal court as one day they know they will be out of office and it could be them next.
  4. Didn't need to, read it online earlier and as soon as I saw Pat Finucane 1989 along with Baha Mousa "murder" had read enough.
    I did wonder how long it would take an impartial person like yourself to pop up though?
    Please now try and find someone outside Islington that gives a flying ****.
    Nighty night
    • Like Like x 3
  5. There is no substitute for the power of reason is there? Glad to see you are exercising it having not bothered to read the document, seeing several buzz words and making up your mind.
  6. Whilst the report contains a few, isolated, valid points I'd be much more inclined to be concerned if the UN spent as much time and energy vilifying the real villains of the world.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Wasn't aware human rights were zero-sum game.
  8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Baha Mousa was, very sadly, killed by British soldiers, and his death was covered up. The only person seriously convicted was a corporal. All Officers got away with it, pleading ignorance. It was a disgrace, utterly inexcusable, and made far worse by the closing-ranks of the Unit (1QLR) concerned. It will take us a long, long time to live that one down. It wasn't a heat-of-the-moment thing, like Bloody Sunday, or just made-up nonsense, like the current accusations about Danny Boy. It was prolonged, wilful and delibearte abuse leading to a man's death.

What I'm trying to say is - don't put it as "murder" in inverted commas, as if it was nothing of the sort. Yuo are just showing your prejudices. Soldiers are not plaster saints, they can get things wrong.
    • Like Like x 6
  9. Convicted to a whole 12 months for inhumane treatment. Not sure how "seriously" he was convicted!
  10. They aren't, but the weighting is is far, far across the oceans from the UK.
  11. I agree but it doesn't excuse our violations to be able to point to lesser regimes.
  12. Personally I think the country has far more pressing problems than to worry what other countries think of us. Staying out of other countries problems would be a good start and let the UN point the finger (at harder targets than gullible Britain).
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Stalin killed somewhere between 15 and 60 million people depending on how you measure.

Hitler was a nice guy then, eh?