United Nations delays Irish troops deployment to Syria.

Discussion in 'Ireland (ie. Irish Defence Force)' started by ArtyBoy, Sep 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There HAS to be a joke in there somewhere...

• Like Like x 1
  2. No, why would there be?
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I'm with Rodders on this.
  4. There isn't we are about to start providing the Force HQ Coy (Force reserve) to UNDOF on the Golan Heights with 115 personnel

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. They're waiting for the QM to get hold of some really big nets for catching the Tomahawks in?
  6. All joking aside, the only difference between the Irish Army and the British Army is the size of the Army and the hardware. In regard to training I doubt there's much between them. Irish troops are fit and well trained, well able for Syria or anywhere else.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Why would they the Syrian Civil War isn't nothing to do with UNDOF (apart from the fact that no weapons (apart from UN) are allowed in the AOR)?

UNDOF is there as a buffer between the Syrians and Israelis.

Maybe the UK should provide an armoured infantry battalion instead.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. If the Yanks are going to be piling in with mucho HE, which is looking rather likely the way their votes seem to be going, I don't think there is much training or, frankly, much equipment, that is going to stop you (Irish, British, Russian or Syrian) from being in "the wrong place at the wrong time".

And I do know the Golan Heights is a fair way from Damascus ...

I think we're pretty much out of those at the moment.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I see from the story that Ireland now has a Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Only about 40 miles mate...

11. We had a Secretary of State for Scotland, Defence and Football Bigotry, didn't we?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Yeah, it's a relatively new office. Defence used to be a stand alone ministry. It's just the typical political disdain for all things military. I'm sure it's not too different in the UK.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. How about "that's the Irish, always pulling out at the last minute"?
    • Like Like x 3