Unite the Union, is it the end.

I was forced to be a member of ASTMS for a couple of years (closed shop - remember them} now a part of Unite.

When I / we (my colleagues) needed the union they hung us out to dry and did nothing.

I hope they go bust completely and that commie excuse for a scouser McCluskey gets taken for every penny.
Same. Back when I was on the coalface my entire department resigned from Unite because they hung us out to dry.

Has anyone asked them if they need to change their name to 'Divisive the Union'?

I have a lot of dealings with an Irish Union and find them to be excellent. Will back the guys to the hilt when right but will also tell them when they're being pricks.

Chef

LE
It seems to have a certain historical inevitability.

A structure grows up to help people, in this case the unions to help the workers. As the years go by the structure requires the people to support it.

Nowadays joining a union as a career, shop steward, senior management then something in politics is a valid way to earn a living.

In the same way that working up through the council to CEO, or Town Clerk as they used to was, is also done professionally. Rather than by local people taking on the job as a duty. Senior management transfer from one area to another at massive pay packets with little or no knowledge of the new area and a predilection for daft and PC initiatives that cost much and achieve little.

Much like the unions and many other organisations where the higher management are fast tracked through the minimum to qualify for the management job and rarely if ever get seen at the coal face again.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
As I have been self employed since leaving the mob, I have no knowlege of the unions myself.
Are you still paying for them at source or do you have an opt out option. If you decide not to contribute, who knows about it and does it effect promotion ect.
The only "opt-out" you get with a closed shop is whether or not to pay the "political levy" which is used by the union to support the Labour party. It is taken by default unless you opt out (which I did).

I won't go into details, but when the company was making redundancies ASTMS were conspicuous in doing absolutely SFA for those of us who were on the list for redundancies. Indeed, our union convenor did a runner and joined another union who were also on site.

I've never been a member of a union since despite having the opportunity to join on a couple of occasions - and I never will be again. Unions have just become the arm up the labour party's arrse.

Andy Farman

On ROPS
On ROPs
I don't understand, is there a metaphorical container ship blocking the plain brown envelope suez canal?

Unions have just become the arm up the labour party's arrse.

Apart from the funding, it's the only think Labour have to cling to that has any hint of the working people about it.

Take the unions away, that ironically supply some of the stupidest, inept and thoroughly obnoxious people even to furnish the green and Red leather, and Labour will be indistinguishable from the LibDems or elements from the conservative centrists

They're the left's bully boys

I am pleased to be able to say I made it all the way through my working life without being a union member at any time.

If Unite disappear (and maybe others too) to be replaced by organisations that are run by people wishing only to serve the interests of their members I could drink to that. This would be the nightmare for the current Union hierarchy and lackies, where would they go and who would have them once they are off the gravy train?

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
Unions in the main are useless , they are self serving, money grabbing branches of the Labour Party.
Unison didn't want to know when I needed them , so much for sticking up for those who are in need and want to keep working rather than claim benefits!
I still get emails and all they are doing is s#*! Stirring and political point scoring. Nauseating.
Let's hope the union does fold and people see ypthem for what they are.

I know of a former paramedic who was injured in the line of duty and as a result was unable to carry out frontline duties. Rather than redeploy him, the ambulance service sacked him.

He wanted to take them to a tribunal for unfair dismissal. Unison advised him against it. He persisted and was eventually given a tribunal date. Unison advised him to accept a (paltry) settlement rather than go through with the tribunal on the grounds that it was 50:50 he would lose the case.

The tribunal upheld every claim of his case and awarded him a significant six figure sum in compensation. Unison then tried to use his case to show how good it was at supporting its members. Strangely, he refused to cooperate with Unison’s publicity efforts.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Unions were very necessary to stop people being exploited ~60 years ago.

The problem being that they were infiltrated by crypto-communists and anarchists who had no interest in working but simply wanted to bring down the establishment for their own political ends.

I could write reams on this as my late uncle was a union convenor at Furness Withy and Bibby shipping lines in the 50s / 60s. He got seriously hacked off when he found that the typing pool would deliberately slip in odd mistakes on consignment notes and official letters so that they would have to re-do them. Caused something of a furore at the time I understand.

My cousin worked at Halewood as a stacker driver in the 70s, and a school mate worked at BL / Triumph Speke in the early 80s making TR7s. Probably the less said the better for both.

As I say, I could write reams on this.

happyuk

War Hero
I think it is.
How many times will they tell this outright lie about immigration (help grow the UK economy, make it more competitive, ad nauseum) while we just take it up the rectal passage without a whimper of complaint

Unions were very necessary to stop people being exploited ~60 years ago.

The problem being that they were infiltrated by crypto-communists and anarchists who had no interest in working but simply wanted to bring down the establishment for their own political ends.

I could write reams on this as my late uncle was a union convenor at Furness Withy and Bibby shipping lines in the 50s / 60s. He got seriously hacked off when he found that the typing pool would deliberately slip in odd mistakes on consignment notes and official letters so that they would have to re-do them. Caused something of a furore at the time I understand.

My cousin worked at Halewood as a stacker driver in the 70s, and a school mate worked at BL / Triumph Speke in the early 80s making TR7s. Probably the less said the better for both.

As I say, I could write reams on this.

This shows the current attitude of Unite's boss
Howard Beckett, the man running to be the head of Britain’s second-largest trade union UNITE, has called the deportation of illegal immigrants as “racist” in a tweet, which led to his suspension from the Labour party. His tweet was a response to the Home Office detaining two Indian immigrants in Glasgow on Thursday over "suspected immigration offences". He told Sky News his suspension was "completely inappropriate" and insisted he would not pull out of the race to lead Unite. He added that he had not received any notice of his suspension from Labour, but had found out about the move on social media. He also said Labour was becoming "the party of the establishment" and accused party leader Sir Keir Starmer of failing to "show leadership".

1621502331004.png

I have a lot of dealings with an Irish Union and find them to be excellent. Will back the guys to the hilt when right but will also tell them when they're being pricks.

Very much like most unions in Norway, they will back the blokes but also try to work with the management not against them.

I'm with the GMB.
They've been superb for me. An investigation into me after I was assaulted. Work that one out..

Anyway, no formal complaint ever made and no witness statements taken, yet they still proceeded with the disciplinary. Breaches of GDPR and racist behaviour by the investigating officer..

If it hadn't been for the union I would have been stitched up like a kipper. There is now an investigation into the investigation, and the union have them by the balls.
Major breaches of policy, breaches of GDPR, health and safety, and a whole raft of other stuff..

£13.50 a month... Worth every penny.

British unions want their members to fund them to destroy their employers in order to smash capitalism, that's their only agenda. Whereas foreign unions want an equitable share of the profits and good working conditions, and that's theirs.

I'll be honest - from the behaviour I've seen in all three dockyards, plus a refit yard, is that there are "good" union leaders and "bad" ones.

The awful ones are from the 70s and deserve every kicking, the good ones are really positive and can help.

The case of the sleeping welder shall always be with me...

I'll be honest - from the behaviour I've seen in all three dockyards, plus a refit yard, is that there are "good" union leaders and "bad" ones.

The awful ones are from the 70s and deserve every kicking, the good ones are really positive and can help.

The case of the sleeping welder shall always be with me...

Old mate of mine who I haven't seen for years was a sparky at Swan Hunter's
He reckoned half the shift would go off and find a corner to sleep for the duration and the unions held so much power management just pretended not to see it.

Old mate of mine who I haven't seen for years was a sparky at Swan Hunter's
He reckoned half the shift would go off and find a corner to sleep for the duration and the unions held so much power management just pretended not to see it.

Yup.

In one yard the management (with the tacit approval of the union rep) removed all the apprentices from one shift to keep them away from some utterly toxic "old school union" individuals. Those individuals just turned up, opened their paper for the shift and sat on their fat arses doing nothing. It was cheaper and easier to ignore them.

Yup.

In one yard the management (with the tacit approval of the union rep) removed all the apprentices from one shift to keep them away from some utterly toxic "old school union" individuals. Those individuals just turned up, opened their paper for the shift and sat on their fat arses doing nothing. It was cheaper and easier to ignore them.

When Nissan Sunderland opened many of the new employees were former shipyard workers.
The entire plant specifically excluded union involvement.

All those heavily unionised shipyard workers rapidly became the people that ran the most efficient car plant in europe.
Only difference was the exclusion of unions.

Latest Threads