Unit Marquees for Hire?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by El_Gringo, Jun 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

After years of subscription to CASA (Campaign for an All-Singlie Army - "Warfare not Welfare"), my resistance has crumbled and I've decided (been drugged, brainwashed and coerced) to become a stinking PAD in August.

Obviously, I've got to have a massive piss-up to celebrate / mourn the event but ridiculous fire regulations mean that I can only get 140 pax in the mess.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any units within reasonable distance of Newbury that have a decent sized marquee for hire and don't charge the extortionate rates that private companies do i.e. doesn't involve sale of bodily organs or first-born children.

Would be very grateful for any int, preferably with the relevant contact numbers.

Many Thanks
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

If you don't have any luck on the Mil side, I have a civvie contact that we use for a horse trial, but
    the cost would be somewhere between £1000 - 1,500.

Send me a PM if you get desperate! :)
  3. Likewise, don't know much about unit marquees, but I know a good firm in Didcot, I went to school with one of the guys and the airshow (abingdon air and country show... do you know it) uses them, and they always give us a great job at a great price.

let us know if needed!
  4. I would try the QM at Dalton Barracks. Sorry no phone number. Worst that could happen is he will say no.
  5. You can buy a couple of those party tents from TESCO DIRECT for less than that
  6. Depending where you are (UK OR Germany), you could always try one of the Cavalry Regiments. I know for a fact that QDG used to own one, but they are in Sennelager now.
  7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I'm talking about a real marquee for between 250-500 people that is weather tight.

Not a plastic handkerchief that will take off if someone farts.

This is a wedding FFS, didn't the idea of wanting to use the Mess give you some hint?
  8. ATR (Pirbright) Qm's department has one.
  9. Hi. **** off.
  10. What a completely useless first post by NeiLS
  11. You can get half decent weather robust marquee's off Fleabay, between £200-400 for a decent size,

I've attended a function where the organiser purchased one & suited the purpose just fine...
  12. My wife's so fat, she wears a Mark F dress. (One size bigger than a marquee)
  13. With ref to bored squaddies post, yes they do, and you have a PM
  14. 17 P&M might still have one, last I heard though it was being suggested that it should be sold on EBay.

It was used for mess functions and the like so is easily big enough for a wedding party. Be warned though, we use a DROPS wagon to move it around, and last time I did it it took about 10 men a good 6 hours to put up.
  15. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Anyone think he might already have married this bint ?
    Probably divorced too after all this time.