Unit initials "RNB"

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ugly, Oct 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Found stamped into the top of the brass butt plate for a Lee enfield. its a factory parts bin sporter in my opinion but the unit id has me scratching my head!
  2. Might be the owners initials if a sporter? I did wonder "Royal Naval Brigade" but that doesn't seem to be quite correct as a term....
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If it is WW1vintage could it be Royal Navy (Naval?) Battalion, part of the RN Div?
  4. There was a "Royal Naval Brigade" created on several separate occasions so it is possible, it was almost a "standard" Victorian ad hoc military unit made up of available ships crews. They were though very ephemeral.
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

thats been bandied about but if I recall a big N stamped on the socket would indicate Naval use. look at the pick, I thought Royal new Brunswick regt but they are fairly new as a name. Its a typical butt plate stamp and rack number from the 1900's.

Attached Files:

6. Royal Naval Brigade?
  7. Royal Naval Barracks? (eg Portsmouth, Chatham, Malta)
  8. RNB Portsmouth opened in 1903 as an accommodation establishment the Royal Navy built ashore.
    For any Devonport residents/ex-residents, that was the first RNB built in 1890, Portsmouth RNB followed 13 years after. But would they have stamped RNB on the Pick?
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Who knows perhaps we can find out. The butt is possibly from a differrent rifle altogether. I don't recall there being any other N naval markings on the rest of it!

Sent from my khazi using fat poo covered fingers, no emoticons so no offence intended!
  10. Beyond my knowledge but it is a poser, wonder if any of the model specific gunboards/ Forums/collectors out there would be able to tell you. Chances are it's not the original butt, but if it were? .. and it could be RN Barracks, as someone said, one of the big three perhaps.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Believe it or not there isn't a record or list of unit markings anywhere on any firearm listed on the web. There are lists for accoutrements such as bayonets but not rifle buttplate stamps. I believe the practice faded with the move to the short rifle and the use of the brass marking disc!

Sent from my khazi using fat poo covered fingers, no emoticons so no offence intended!
  12. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Rhythm 'N' Blues?

Coat, taxi, yada yada yada
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Have you established what Enfield this is from?
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator