Unit abbreviation "HGB" on WW1 memorial

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Donstoy, Jul 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Casting my myopic eyes over a local memorial today (East-central Scotland) I noticed the above unit abbreviation and after a brief google I'm still none the wiser. Managed to decypher all the others and I thought it might be Horse Guards Brigade or some such, but doubt it. An old post on another forum mentioned seeing HCB on a memorial (informed by others this was Highland Cyclists Bn/Bde) so I'm now thinking Highland something. Any knowledgeable people out there able to enlighten me?

Rearguards

2. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

3. Try this,

The Cyclist Battalions TF in 1914-1918

Highland Cyclist Battalion
    1/1st Battalion: August 1914 : in Kirkcaldy. Remained in Scotland until moving to Ireland in May 1918, where it then remained.
    2/1st Battalion: Formed in Kirkcaldy in November 1914 as a second line battalion. Remained in Scotland until moving to Ireland in May 1918, where it then remained. In July 1915, it formed the 1st Provisional Cyclist Company..
    3/1st Battalion: Formed in Kirkcaldy in 1915 as a dept/training unit. Remained in UK until disbanded in March 1916; the troops were posted to the 1/1st and 2/1st Bns and some to the Machine Gun Corps.

4. Thank you gentlemen, it's definitely HGB rather than C for cyclists. And he's listed as a private rather than a gunner (elsewhere on the memorial there's a Gnr from RFA) so would HG (Heavy Guns?) Bde still apply?

5. Do you have the guys name? A look at the CWGC register might then offer a clue to the context of 'HGB'.

C_C

6. Yes, Aloysius, that's the memorial, I suppose he must have transferred or been attached in some role and remained as as a private rather than becoming a Gunner; if HGB is the Artillery. Would possibly account for his unit being HGB rather than RFA too. I'm going to have to start looking for HGB on other memorials now. Thank you.

7. The B could mean a Battery?

8. There is a medal card for a 350159 Pte David Pryde Royal Highlanders (i.e. BW) - his number is actually one allocated to the Highland Cycle Bn from Jan 17. So I would suggest that the stone mason made a transcription error.

See here

Renumbering of the Territorial Force in 1917

9. Yes, the Scottish National War Memorial site puts a Pte David Pryde who died on the same date stated on the CWGC site in the Highland Cycle Battalion. So it seems it's down to a typo.

10. It's the same person

Surname PRYDE
    Firstname David
    Service Number 350159
    Date Death 29/10/1917
    Decoration
    Place of birth Kirkcaldy
    Other 4/5th Bn. formerly 1174, H.C. Bn.
    SNWM roll THE BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS)
    Rank Pte
    Theatre of death F.& F.

11. 53 minutes to sort that one out - not bad.

C_C

12. I think it was Highland Cyclist Battalion. I know of another war memorial (stone cenotaph) with three spelling mistakes on it.

There's nothing to reflect this on his medal index card but SDGW has this:

Name: David Pryde
    Birth Place: Kirkcaldy, Fifeshire
    Death Date: 29 Oct 1917
    Death Location: France & Flanders
    Enlistment Location: Kirkcaldy
    Regiment: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)
    Battalion: 4/5th (Angus and Dundee) Battalion (Territorial)
    Number: 350159
    Type of Casualty: Killed in action
    Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
    Comments: Formerly 1174, H.C. Battn

Damn. beat me to it. ;)

13. Thank you all.