Unions still don't get it

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CrashTestDummy, Jan 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Balls is saying what is necessary in order for their party to be taken seriously as they are taking "The job of the opposition is to oppose" a little bit too far now.

I notice he finds an excuse for having to support the cuts though... "Oh its due to Osbournes poor handling of the purse, it is"
  2. Interesting story on one of the blogs today. Ed Balls gave an interview with the Spectator a couple of weeks where he stuck religiously to the "too far too fast" mantra. The interview has only just been published.

Simultaneously, he's in the Guardian telling us that cuts are essential and that he's fully signed up Osborne's austerity package.

Nothing like a bit of self contradiction eh Ed? No doubt we'll be back to spend, spend, spend with the next Labour government if that's what the unions tell them to do.
  3. It appears that Labour have been told to change tactics. Presumably, outrage over the cuts is dying down and they're switching from rhetoric to substance. Or rather, they're changing direction because there's no substance at all behind their current rhetoric. It's something they've been forced into because, should the next election be fought on the austerity agenda, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

The unions get it too, but if they were to accept the reality of the situation, they'd be relegated to solving minor pay disputes.
  4. I am very much a right wing type, but listening to the radio this evening, even I felt a pang of sympathy for Milliband; a union type was saying that if all Milliband had to offer was pretty much the same as the tories, then what was the point of voting for his party?

There lies the rub, tell the truth about your intentions, and they won't vote for you, promise arrse and cake, they will get you into power, and whinge like buggery when you renege on your promises.

Union bloke didn't mention anything about why we are in this position in the first place.

Cameroon is the same, referendums, uni fees, etc etc. Now I'm in **** you, I'm here all week and there's **** all you can do about it. Goodnight!
    • Like Like x 4
  5. That's democracy for you. It would work brilliantly if people voted on principal, but the vast majority of voters are interested in what they stand to gain personally. As Churchill said, democracy is a shit system except for all those other systems*.

*slightly paraphrased
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Milliband was appointed to a job that he can't do because of his union connections. Remember that most Labour members voted for his brother, but were overruled by the unions.

He reminds me of those clueless army officers who had their commissions purchased for them in the 18th Century. They might kill their soldiers faster than the enemy could, but they were the "right sort of chap" so they could join the family regiment as a Colonel. Would you feel sorry for them? (Why am I talking about the 18th Century but thinking of that Harbord bloke on the recent telly programme about Sandhurst).

Ed is now being openly ridiculed in the press. There's a "Don't Unseat Ed" campaign among the Tory right who reckon he's so useless he actually helps Tories. Unfortunately, he's unlikely to last beyond the autumn so I'm sure the recent comments by Ed Balls are early positioning for the forthcoming leadership contest.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Not only that. He didn't even get the support of the majority of MPs. The first leader in history who has had to try and lead his party without the support of either the majority of party members or the majority of Parliamentarians.

I was about to say - you mean like all those toffs who rock up to Sandhurst as confirmed cadets for the Cav, when the Cav have got absolutely no performance criteria to judge them upon and as such, let in people who seem like the "right sort of chap" with the right ancestry?

Also, if ever there's been a money-driven-man controlling government Cameron is it - an old Etonian, ancestral links to royalty, married to the daughter of a Peer.

The whole ****ing system is ridiculous.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. That's married to the daughter of a Peer, who openly criticised David Cameron's recent policies. Bugger, there goes another Labour battle-cry!

Just to add: At least if DC, all his family and chums are stinking rich, he is less likely to rig the whole system to ensure he and his wife can exploit the legal system, company tax system and Middle East peace process to make 12 million quid.. err..unlike anyone else we could think of
  9. Miliband made an utter **** out of himself on The Marr show just this morning.

The Labour Party remind me of a certain Italian cruise ship.
  10. Can we expect a list to starboard do you think? The unions won't be pleased.
  11. Not that I am advocating Labour as a better alternative, but it's not like a bunch of Conservative ex Cabinet ministers took directorships in the private companies they flogged off public services to in the 80s/90s is it now?

Like I said, the whole ****ing system is corrupt. You've even got some prick officers in the Army now lining up portions of the forces for privatisation only to then retire and take "consultancy" roles with the companies who are going to benefit from their in-service decisions.

Jail the ****ing lot of them.

Politicians talk about privatisation to put fear into workers and make them more productive. Unfortunately nobody applies that same "fear" argument to politicians, who get away with everything no matter how stupid, corrupt or dishonest their behaviour is.

As the expenses saga showed, the whole lot can steal, lie and evade tax. Only about four went to prison, and none of them served full sentences.
  12. WHat exactly don't Unions get, all they said is that piss poor pay rises will cost the Labour Party votes? It will right or wrong.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. "Solving minor pay disputes" well ok minor did become national, but the original thrust of trades unionism was pay and conditions and not delving into politics, once the unions got involved there they lost their way and got ideas above their mandate and remit, but, they find they now have to keep sticking their noses into the political sway of things in order to look good to "The Brothers and Sisters" (Comrades as used to be) in order to keep their overpaid jobs and sickeningly over healthy pensions and as a life member of one of the biggest unions I deplore the stance they take currently, to quote J F Kennedy, " Ask not what your Country can do for you, but what you can do for your Country".