Unions Starting to Desert Labour?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Brick, Jun 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Combine that with the fact that they're still carrying large amounts of debt, appear to be haemorrhaging financial support and are being deserted by the large donors they've relied on in the recent past and things could get interesting. Now granted it's not the union's annual contribution of about £1.5million they donate to the central Labour Party but the extra "constituency development payments" but even so it's got to be making some Labour MPs and party officials worried I would expect.

Does anyone think we'll see one of the main unions fully disaffiliate from Labour and completely cut their funding for the party? Or will inertia and wanting to oppose the Conservatives keep them safe at least until the next election?

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

This would be the first step then. The next step in the face of the inevitable cuts in over-staffed and funded public bodies will be massed strikes that bring the country to its knees. Of course, it won't be under Gordons watchful eye, it will be during the Reign of Dave, and the Conservatives will get all the blame.

3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'it's got to be making some Labour MPs and party officials worried I would expect'

agreed, but with Cyclops' grasp on reality appearing to be what it is, will it actually register? those Downfall spoofs could be a lot closer to reality than perhaps you might think.

4. With a modicum of common-sense and with any luck!

5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

think about what you've just said.

this is Liarbour and unions we're talking about. :cry:

6. Sorry pal, I did not make myself clear.

If any union had any common-sense, they would bin this pool of sick masquerading as a government.

If our sad nation had a little luck, the unions would ALL bin the malevolent and hopeless Labour Party - for good!

7. This seems to be a shot across the bows for Gordon in case he's thinking of a pay freeze or compulsory redundancies for the Civil Service. As Labour will be out at the next election anyway, the unions now have nothing to lose by asserting their power over the government.

It'll be interesting to see how far the unions push. With 90% of Labour funding coming from unions, they could easily bankrupt the party. That would mean that the NEC, including many ARRSE favourites like Gordon, Harperson and Keith Vaz becoming personally liable for Labour's debts and facing bankruptcy.

If the unions start having a laugh in the dying days of the current government, it might encourage Dave to introduce his £50k donations cap sooner rather than later to stop future Labour governments being held to ransom in this way.

8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

the £50k cap is a great idea, but whats to stop the unions making lots of donations through the membership? lots of £50ks = back to where we were. it'll be very difficult to police.

9. Hmm. Massive public backlash against the tube strike, unions better get a grip before BNP start clubbing you leftie tw#ts. Time those feckers got real and a. leave the gimp losing party, b. start planning how to be of use to an incoming Conservative/Green/Methodist/Far Righter than Thou party.

Meths, Taxi

10. It can do a wee bit more than just worry them, actually.

The Labour Party is set up constitutionally like a small society or club, and the principal officers of the Party (chairman, treasurer and so on) are all liable for the Party's debts without limitation should the Party go bankrupt. Currently the Labour Party owes well over a million, mostly to banks and said banks are composed of extremely hard-nosed accountants. Now, consider this: any MP who is made bankrupt is automatically booted out of Parliament; no ifs, no buts, no wiggle room at all but instant boot.

So, should the Unions decide not to fund the Labour Party at all, then that leaves the Party with somewhere between zilch and not much coming in, and a lot of money going out. Oh, and some bankers who all of a sudden see their money at risk. What's the betting that these bankers will simply walk up to Gordon and say "Pay us now, in full, in cold hard cash IMMEDIATELY or we will call in the debt, bankrupt the Party and bankrupt you and your cronies".

Should that happen, Gordon will have two options: have a whip-round of Labour Party members on the lines of "Lend me 50 grand apiece or I'll boot you out" or call the banks' bluff and run the risk of getting bounced out of office unceremoniously. The unions know all this. The Labour Party knows that the unions know this, and that the Unions effectively hold the life of the Labour Party in their hands. Watch the Government cave in to union demands over and over and over again over the coming months, as the petty little hitlers in the Unions gloat over what is probably the one and only time in their careers when they'll have an entire government by the goolies unable to tell them to go do one...

11. Cheers, Doc! That's cheered me up no end!

MsG

12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'Should that happen, Gordon will have two options: have a whip-round of Labour Party members on the lines of "Lend me 50 grand apiece or I'll boot you out" or call the banks' bluff and run the risk of getting bounced out of office unceremoniously. The unions know all this. The Labour Party knows that the unions know this, and that the Unions effectively hold the life of the Labour Party in their hands. Watch the Government cave in to union demands over and over and over again over the coming months, as the petty little hitlers in the Unions gloat over what is probably the one and only time in their careers when they'll have an entire government by the goolies unable to tell them to go do one... '

I would love that to happen, but it's going to take dynamite to shift that cnut from no.10.

if he can run roughshod over every other convention in british parliamentary procedure, what makes you think he'll suddenly start playing by the rules if that happens?

13. "t'll be interesting to see how far the unions push. With 90% of Labour funding coming from unions, they could easily bankrupt the party. That would mean that the NEC, including many ARRSE favourites like Gordon, Harperson and Keith Vaz becoming personally liable for Labour's debts and facing bankruptcy."

Thank you Old one for such a nice start to my day.
    john

15. Now that would be awesome :D There would be a kind of delicious irony to it all, 'Prudence' Cyclops, bastion of fiscal responsibility, (well actually the cnut who's ruined the country) manages to bankrupt himself :lol: