union jacks

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by stayce88, Sep 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ive been issued kit with no union jacks on the sleeves and told to sew them on myself

how far down from the shoulder do they need to be pls?

2. Surely you mean "The Union Flag" unless you are going to sew a canoe to your arm?

And I don't know, so absolutely no help there then.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Uniforms with a jack staff, that's a new one on me. :wink:

4. That should stiffen up the creases a bit.

Try leaving the hanger in your shirt, gives you nice square shoulders.

(Use glue, sewing is for RAF Regt etc.)

5. Place the Union Flag approximately 12 inches up from your elbow - well that's where mine are, there again, I suppose it depends how long your arms are. How long are yours?

6. The Union Flag, popularly known as the *Union Jack, is the national flag of the United Kingdom. It is the British flag.

It is called the Union Flag because it symbolises the administrative union of the countries of the United Kingdom. It is made up up of the individual Flags of three of the Kingdom's countries all united under one Sovereign - the countries of 'England, of 'Scotland' and of 'Northern Ireland' (since 1921 only Northern Ireland has been part of the United Kingdom). As Wales was not a Kingdom but a Principality it could not be included on the flag.

The following pages will tell you how the Union Flag (Union Jack) came to be the UK's national flag and the making of the United Kingdom.
    Pay no heed to the picky people fair question pitty they couldnt just answer it. Sorry I no longer serve but Union Jack seems fair to me.

7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Sorry can't find the pages, where did you put them? At the sharp end of one of the RNs finest next to the jack staff? :)

8. 'Union Jack' was officially acknowledged as an alternative name for the Union Flag by the Admiralty and Parliament in the early 20th century. The term 'jack' refers to the flag that is flown from the bowsprit of a ship, often denoting nationality.
    "Union Flag," Microsoft® Encarta® Online Encyclopedia 2005
    uk.encarta.msn.com © 1997-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

The Union Flag is commonly known as the Union Jack, although the exact origin of the name is unclear. One explanation is that it gets its name from the "jack staff" of naval vessels from which the original Union Flag was flown.
    www.number-10.gov.uk

Historian David Starkey said in that Channel 4 tv programme that the Union Flag is called 'Jack' because it is named after James l of Great Britain (Jacobus , Latin for James), who introduced the flag following his accession to the throne

9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Approx.

[​IMG]

Mine came ready attached.

And yes, I can see the tramlines and did iron it with a brick etc.....

10. According to JSP 336:-

UNION EMBLEM

4. This a Tri-Service badge which is worn by all RN, Army and RAF personnel on the upper left arm. The centre of the badge is placed 5cms form the shoulder seam of the jacket.

11. My understanding (having just done some sewing myself)...

All measuresments from the centre of the badge to the join of the sleeve/shoulder.

TRF - Right arm - 12cm
    Union Flag - Left arm - 5cm
    Brigade flash etc - Left arm 10cm

12. thanx Scavenger, 4th_of_foot, Sixty, flyinghussar they are now sewn on

13. No problems! Its nice to be able to answer a question, rather than ask one!

14. This is a load of old balls in the words of Withnail.

We were united from 1603 under a common soverign. We were united from 1707 and then 1801 through leglisation which brought England, Scotland, Ireland and the principality of Wales together.