Union Jack

The dune buggy... ...that'll be the British-made VW, yes?

Flags...not Jacks...unless onboard

To be honest, I find it a bit offensive when I see the Union Flag anywhere but a flagpole.

It certainly doesn't belong on boxer shorts, guitars or bra's

Cheers.

D_L
You were obviously never a Squaddie of the 80's then! Ron Hill Union Jack Shorts............. essential wear for sunshine tours

To be honest, I find it a bit offensive when I see the Union Flag anywhere but a flagpole.

It certainly doesn't belong on boxer shorts, guitars or bra's ...
I can see your point, but I can't see myself getting outraged about it

.... So, if you saw some buxom young wench wearing a bra emblazoned with the union flag, you'd be so moved by moral outrage you would demand she take it off?
although I am coming round to your way of thinking

.... a Squaddie ... Ron Hill Union Jack Shorts...
but on the other hand ....

I'm pretty sure Schecter gutars are not British either!

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Driver's Log - you'd be outraged if you ever came to our gaff then - there must be at least 700 of us, all wandering round with the little buggers on the left arms of our CS95.

It's the union Flag not the union Jack. Tut.
No it's not.

"It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag"."

The Union Jack or The Union Flag?

It's a Union Jack, within the last few years it's been fashionable to "be in the know" and call it a flag. The Welsh translation is "Jac yr Undeb" as has been since it's creation.

No it's not.

"It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag"."

The Union Jack or The Union Flag?
Colours: Flags, ensigns, jacks, standards.

The Navy has ensigns because they're Jack. The Army has flags because they have standards.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old_bloke Travel 1
old_bloke Travel 34
Bravo_Bravo ARRSE Social, Events & Networking 2