Union Jack Club

I'm a member of both, but the UJ takes the chocolate assortment. If you think that the UJ is noisy, try the VSC - the Edgeware Rd is a never ending cacophony - and the ablutions are grim. Nice bar though and they are gradually improving the place. I tend to use the VSC if the UJ is fully booked up with Frog train drivers, Post Office execs on a weekend jolly or German paratroopers on a reunion. But the UJ is the first choice and has been for over twenty years.

In the mornin' when the Sun is shinin'
You will find us in the canteen dinin'
Tuckin' in to our saussies & beans
The likes of which you ain't ever seen
We love our brekkie 'cause we love our grub
In the mornin' at the UJ club

Goose_Rider

War Hero
The double/family rooms aren't that nice in the UJ, the single rooms are much better, they must have been refurbished more recently. The double rooms are also so expensive that you may as well go to a travel-lodge type place, there's one near Tower Bridge that's got cheaper double rooms than the UJ.

The single rooms are decent prices too (last time I stayed), remind me of being in the block on the corridors with shared showers/bogs (don't bother paying for en-suite).

They are a bit uptight about letting you bring scoff into your room, but my main problem was getting the wife in, even when I'd booked a double room. She did used to dress like a hooker, mind ... :roll: :eek:

bullshit

War Hero
Last year family Bull went for a weekend in London. The UJC was booked out for family rooms and the VSC had a double fam' room for 140 quid a night. I then read some reviews about how poor the VCS was so I did a search on Expedia and found a weekend in the 4* Hilton, with breakfast and an evening meal for the same price! The Hilton was brilliant, big rooms, great food etc. Also had a/c which is a bonus during London summers.

I found that the UJC & VSC are only really worth it for singlies, the family rooms are far overpriced & very small.

I think the UJC & VSC are only hanging onto the military through a few retired old Colonels who are on a committee that they only really attend to pay for their weekends in London. If it had any real military connection it would be offering special deals for Troops on R&R or special family deals for Mums & Dads returning home etc.

Mikal

ADC
I use the UJC a lot but I think the atmosphere has been ruined by the non-military services types who take up most of the rooms nowadays.

I've not had a good double room but each time I've had one it's so I could bring somone back with me. This hasn't been a problem because they check the membership card against the room list. The single rooms are not very private - get a willing bit in your room (such as the female staff from Eurostar) and everyone gets to listen in. Even worse if you're next door to a snorer.

I also think there should be a priority system for the rooms. Those still serving get a room over those not, ex-services piroirty over the pure civvies.

There is annual upgrading work going at the UJC, has been for several years now. This work usually means at least one or two floors being closed to buisness depending on the amount of capital spend.

I have recently joined the VSC simply because the facilities available during the day are much better and the place is not so gloomy. Not yet booked a room there.

When I was dishcarged I was given the joining paperwork for both the UJC and the VSC. Does this still happen?

I have stayed at the UJ many times since I served, I have also stayed in London Hotels and am none too sure about returning to them in the evening with a laptop bag over my shoulder. At Least in the UJ I feel safe and it is next to the busiest station in the UK. I have used it many times for business meetings in the past 3 years, lets face it nobody uses the library during the day so the ante room which is well furnished is an ideal location.
The bar sucks and the beer is shtie but there again what other services club doesn't (reg or ex). The food reminds me of the cookhouse sometimes but it is hot and very cheap for that area of the country.
The accom is fair, if you don't mind wandering down the corridor to the shower in your flip flops, and the double rooms not en suite are very good value, better quality in my opinion too.
The staff are sometimes jobsworths but what do you expect?
I would recommend staying there to anyone who doesn't live within travelling distance of London and it is much cheaper if you join and use the place on a regular basis. My main quibble about the place is the smell of smoke as you walk through the door, should change soon I hope.
TB

Crusader

Old-Salt
Wizzard said:
I have to go up to London for a couple of days next month and I'm thinking of staying at the UJ club. It's been a while since I've stayed there and I was wondering what it is like these days?

Have any of you peeps stayed there recently? Is it worth a try?

If not where else might I stay that wont cost an arm and a wotsit?

Cheers

Wiz
12 January 2003??? How has this one risen to this level now?

If you are still seeking advice...UJ Club is excellent value, especially for London. I stay there often and use the facilities frequently evennif I am not staying-over. Great value and good company.

Crusader
Late Coldstream Guards, Airborne and RAOC

Forks

LE
If it wasn't for the UJC, I wouldn't have joined the Army!

PANZER_SOLDAT

Old-Salt
Forks said:
There is a vent at the top of the windows, close it and that stops the whistling mostly.
I located the said vent Forks, closed it, opened it, half closed it, quarter opened it, etc etc......all to no avail.

Reading the comments, I suppose it depends which room was used and how much was paid as to the value of the place.

Would it really matter if a JNCO/SNCO occupied an otherwise empty officer type room (I appreciate it costs more, that isn't the issue)

Bump. Update, Stayed there about 6 weeks last year in one week stretches. Stayed there a few times in the 80's when I was on resettlement courses. Have also used it for 1 or 2 nights a few times when in the smoke. I had to produce my long lost discharge papers before I could become a member which meant painful and long winded correspondence with the MOD. Was surprised that all and sundry seem to be able to stay there now. I'm sure that wasn't the original intention when the place was first opened. That said it's cheap considering the location, the nosh is pretty good at a more than reasonable price and the accommodation is clean. WiFi is free and not a bad speed. Stayed just recently after a nightmare 48 hour journey from the Far East, missed connections, delays, cancellations etc. Turned up at around 2300 on a Saturday night not really expecting to get a room but miraculously got one, relieved to say the least as I live in the Midlands with no way of getting north. They have special offers periodically and also West End show packages. I can't find fault considering the price and location. It has that military feeling about it which is strange after all these years ......... and for those who may be interested the Eastern European reception staff are pretty tasty.

I like the place, its cheap and you can't beat the location. The rooms are tiny however you get what you pay for and really what exactly do you use your room for apart from sleeping?
Bar is pleasant and the beer selection is OK, but I do feel like I can properly relax. It definitely has a military atmosphere and I've certainly never seen any knobheads in there.

Tell the barman to put a better shine on the glasses then...
I suppose I must remember this when I'm next sat in the bar:
"There's a c**t on every course, if you haven't figured out who it is in the first two hours its you."

D

Deleted 60082

I stayed there recently (well, May I think it was Wimbleton or Chelsea Flower Show or something) so I couldn't get into my usual Club and the hotel prices were astronomical!

I was pleasantly surprised. The single room (all that was available for an Officer type) had a 3/4 sized bed and the bathroom was huge. The evening meal was excellent, as was the breakfast the following day. The entrance decor is very much 1980s SNCOs' Mess, but the various historical displays were interesting. But what a strange collection of people staying there. No one in the dining room could hold their cutlery correctly and some had red wine with fish. Well, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stayed there recently (well, May I think it was Wimbleton or Chelsea Flower Show or something) so I couldn't get into my usual Club and the hotel prices were astronomical!

I was pleasantly surprised. The single room (all that was available for a Officer type) had a 3/4 sized bed and the bthroom was huge. The evening meal was excellent, as was the breakfast the other day. The entrance decor is very much 1980s SNCOs' Mess, but the various historical displays were interesting. But what a strange collection of people staying there. No one in teh dining room could hold their cutlery correctly and some had red wine with fish. Well, really.
Well golly gosh I prefer red wine with fish, in fact I prefer red wine with any meal but then again that's a individual preference. KFS in hands not foot in mouth certainly helps

I was pleasantly surprised. The single room (all that was available for a Officer type) had a 3/4 sized bed and the bthroom was huge. The evening meal was excellent, as was the breakfast the other day. The entrance decor is very much 1980s SNCOs' Mess, but the various historical displays were interesting. But what a strange collection of people staying there. No one in teh dining room could hold their cutlery correctly and some had red wine with fish. Well, really.
With white fish!? I trust you had them flogged but some thing light and fruity even a blend is perfectly acceptable with a slice of salmon. When last there I saw people wearing jeans! what's the Empire come to!?

D

Deleted 60082

Quite. The empire was planned and delivered by chaps who wore brogues and a shirt and a tie in every circumstance. And not jeans.

D

Deleted 60082

Well golly gosh I prefer red wine with fish, in fact I prefer red wine with any meal but then again that's a individual preference. KFS in hands not foot in mouth certainly helps
Standards, old bean. Most held their knife like a pen, and had tattoos.

Latest Threads