Union Jack Club

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Wizzard, Jan 12, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have to go up to London for a couple of days next month and I'm thinking of staying at the UJ club. It's been a while since I've stayed there and I was wondering what it is like these days?

Have any of you peeps stayed there recently? Is it worth a try?

If not where else might I stay that wont cost an arm and a wotsit?

2. It's alright mate!  I was down there at the beginning of December last year.  It's about £35 for an standard en suite single.  Compared to the St Giles on the Tottenham Court Road at £120 for the same standard room (and that's considered reasonable in London), you'll not do too badly  It's been refurbished over the years and it's none too shabby.  If you're taking a motor, you'll have to book it in and they are limited on parking spaces.  Advance bookings are a must and if you don't show up by 1800hrs on the evening of your booking they'll give your roo away.  They will hold however, if you phone to say that you'll be late.  

You'll not find better for the cost and location in London.
    Used it a several times over the years.....

.....was too píssed to remember anything though.....

......oh hang on, yes....it's in London!...... ;)

Tip: Eat yer Micky D'ds or Kebab (or hide it) before you go in - they don't like their rooms smelling too bad in the mornings and won't let you in with one!
  4. The UJ Club is much better now than it was a few years ago , cheap and good value for moneyas the rooms are as good as any I have stayed in over the years.  I wouldn't bank on getting your car into the carpark though, not unless you are related to:

1. a general
    2. someone who works on reception
    3. the car park attendant

The nearest car par is on the South Bank (about 5 mins walk away)and that will cost you £19 a day - expensive, but cheaper than getting your car towed away though. PS. they only take cash - no credit or debit cards.
  5. I have used it on a couple of occasions whilst attending dinners in London.  I found it very reasonable and ideally located for the train home in the morning.

The UJ club is very ecumenical nowadays, even officers are allowed to use it - but at a higher rate.
  6. fffffanks chasps, I'll give it a go

7. PS-the food is good and terrific value too
  8. ...how far in advance does amnyone recommend booking? im going to be in london in august and someone has recommended staying there....cheers!
  9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I've never been turned away from there (booked for 1 week at 2 hours notice once) but if I recall correctly it is free to cancel up to 24 hours before so you can make a provisional booking now over the period and amend from there...

Parking is more painful though.
  10. chhers for that!
  11. Better advised to go to the VSC; closer to everything and just as cheap.  Membership needed though.
  12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The Travel Lodge on Tower Bridge Rd is cheap as chips and just a short walk from the Tower (Best spent £11 in London)and Tower Bridge! Also a Weatherspoons is only 100m away, so that cannot be bad!

London Dungeon is a walk away too!

Food is good and the bar is open til 0100hrs!
  13. Hmmmmm... Unfortunately I must've got the short straw when I went there recently. About 5 years ago I would've agreed with you.

I had to stay in London due to weather / travel problems, and luckily the UJC saved the day. However, the meal was so dreadful that I wrote to the manager to complain. Not only did he apologise profusely (for - as he termed it - the "trauma" I suffered in the dining room!) but he refunded the full cost of my meal (including the cost of the half bottle of Chablis, about which I had no complaint at all!).

In the words of Anne Robinson, "Complain, Make a Fuss!!!!"

14. Stuff that...I booked through last minute.com on the hotel page.......scrolled to London and they had a £60 for a 4 * London hotel...paid up front and the week before they told me where....The Melia White House Hotel at Regents park...normally £210 per night...the room was fantastic..I could barely see the end of the bed it was that far away...and yes even further away after a few beers...well worth it!

Oh and its £60 for two off you...so take the other half along!