Union flag row in Donegal

exspy

LE
There are eleven sets of Irish Regimental Colours hanging in Windsor Castle.
If each of the five Irish regiments disbanded had two battalions, from which regiment is the eleventh set of Colours?

Cheers,
Dan.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Please allow me to disagree entirely. There is a very strong 'Western Front Association' in and about Dublin and other lager towns and cities in Ireland, a membership that was not there 20 years ago is now growing. . Being a member myself I meet some of these people.

The Battle honours on those colours were not gained by British and American tourists who visit Windsor Castle, they were gained by young Irishmen. WW1 saw about 11000 of them die from the two Divisions that they provided.(something near 45% )10th and 16th Irish Divs. The descendants of those men are in Ireland, the colours should go home.
If it's your belief that the colours should be sent to Ireland that's fine, I can understand it - to a point.
Are there many former members of the Bns in the Western Front Association ?
I don't know what the wording was on the original request to have the colours laid up but it would be interesting reading.
My own belief is that those ouens who served in these Bns should have the final say, otherwise it is breaking a trust.
But maybe I'm just weird with promises.

If each of the five Irish regiments disbanded had two battalions, from which regiment is the eleventh set of Colours?

Cheers,
Dan.
Not a Colour as such but it was the South Irish Horse.

Personally I'd prefer that the Colours remain in Windsor. The southern Irish Regiments were disbanded 95 years ago so it's highly unlikely that any veterans remain alive.

Not a Colour as such but it was the South Irish Horse.

Personally I'd prefer that the Colours remain in Windsor. The southern Irish Regiments were disbanded 95 years ago so it's highly unlikely that any veterans remain alive.
Agreed, said regiments did not become part of the Irish Defence Forces and their history ended with that ceremony. Fitting they should remain in that place of honour unless and until the Irish government establishes a fitting memorial that would fit the bill. Hard to see how Windsor could be improved upon.

Agreed, said regiments did not become part of the Irish Defence Forces and their history ended with that ceremony. Fitting they should remain in that place of honour unless and until the Irish government establishes a fitting memorial that would fit the bill. Hard to see how Windsor could be improved upon.
Ironic isn't it that people on here are suggesting the surrender of British Army Colours to an Army that was formed from the Irish Republican Army?

Returned?

In all fairness, that was rather cruel of her. Might be called parental abuse now.
Can you dance?:boogie:
Beautifully I'd imagine. And he dresses well.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
If it's your belief that the colours should be sent to Ireland that's fine, I can understand it - to a point.
Are there many former members of the Bns in the Western Front Association ?
I don't know what the wording was on the original request to have the colours laid up but it would be interesting reading.
My own belief is that those ouens who served in these Bns should have the final say, otherwise it is breaking a trust.
But maybe I'm just weird with promises.
Nothing wrong with your logic, it just differs from mine, but I see it strange when I see for example Chinese tourists trying to fathom what the colours are for. Of course Irish soldiers of that day don't exist now, Like our own don't exist, but they are still revered, some of their children exist and certainly their grandchildren.

For the 'laying up' of those colours just tap into your browser 'George Vth accepts Colours of disbanded Irish Regiments' Many of the soldiers weren't demobbed most of them went into the British Army, Even during my time we had the children of those men in the Ranks, one was our RSM at the time. Having been British army and post the 1916 uprising, many could not go back home; including a few VC recipients.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ironic isn't it that people on here are suggesting the surrender of British Army Colours to an Army that was formed from the Irish Republican Army?

Returned?
As a Royal Scot, and if and when Scottish 'Independence' take place' will you be marching among your Regimental Comrades to see your colours being placed alongside the disbanded Irish Battalions to be gazed at in wonder by Tourists, or would you prefer that they remain in Scotland ?

Considering the recent memorials to the fallen in 1916 that included British troops I cannot see why a small building to house the colours couldn't be housed in
Grangegorman

Grangegorman Military Cemetery - Wikipedia

Or how about

The Irish National War Memorial Gardens

Irish National War Memorial Gardens - Wikipedia

....Having been British army and post the 1916 uprising, many could not go back home; including a few VC recipients.
Some chose not to, some joined the IRA, some formed the backbone of the National Army post independence. Having served in the British army could put you in danger or make you an asset depending on your choices. One of my great uncles fought in France with the Royal Irish and joined the IRA in the War of Independence.

Considering the recent memorials to the fallen in 1916 that included British troops I cannot see why a small building to house the colours couldn't be housed in
Grangegorman

Grangegorman Military Cemetery - Wikipedia

Or how about

The Irish National War Memorial Gardens

Irish National War Memorial Gardens - Wikipedia
There are several Colours of the Royal Irish Reserve and Militia battalions in the museum in Kilkenny Barracks. They were moved there from the Cathedral for safety during renovations in the Cathedral.

That said, I'd be afraid that if the wrong people get into government, that such reminders of British rule might be destroyed. I have heard people suggest that reminders like the Royal Cypher over the entrance to the Bank of Ireland on College Green should be removed. Even pre-independence post boxes are being lined up for removal. Recently some fúckwits in Cork have been painting over Queen Victoria's name on street signs. So as I said I'd prefer that the Irish Regimental Colours remain safe in the UK.

Some chose not to, some joined the IRA, some formed the backbone of the National Army post independence. Having served in the British army could put you in danger or make you an asset depending on your choices. One of my great uncles fought in France with the Royal Irish and joined the IRA in the War of Independence.
Can't find a link to Him. But Martin Doyle VC. Royal Munster Fusiliers. Then IRA in the war of independence.

Returned?
I don't think "surrender" is the spirit, so much as a situation where the Irish government and/or Defence Forces would memorialize them.
As there was no institutional carryover from the British to the Irish army (personnel, certainly: officers, NCOs and men), it makes little sense for the Defence Forces to do so. However the government may decide to remember Irish fighting units that served a previous government, it still seems fitting that those Colours remain where they are, memorialized by the state they served.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As a Royal Scot, and if and when Scottish 'Independence' take place' will you be marching among your Regimental Comrades to see your colours being placed alongside the disbanded Irish Battalions to be gazed at in wonder by Tourists, or would you prefer that they remain in Scotland ?
He is 21st of Foot = Royal Scots Fusiliers/Royal Highland Fusiliers/ 2 SCOTS.

Not The Royal Scots, who are the First of Foot!

madboffin

Old-Salt
I work at a military[1] establishment. From my office window I can see a French flag. If we can fly one of those side by side with the Union Flag I'm sure that the other tricolour can fly side by side with the Union Flag.

Gosh, wouldn't it be great if we could all be nice to each other? Said no one, ever, apparently.

[1] FSVO "military".

Can't find a link to Him. But Martin Doyle VC. Royal Munster Fusiliers. Then IRA in the war of independence.
There's a thread on here I'm sure.

Buried in Granegorman cemetery. Visited his CWGC grave last year. I have put links up on this site about him before in the thread ' a sad yet fascinating tale'.

A sad yet fascinating tale
Doyle's isn't actually a CWGC grave since he died between the wars. His headstone is a close copy of a CWGC one though.

Last edited:

Latest Threads