Union flag row in Donegal

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
And dont forget the16h Irish Division that fought alongside the 36th Ulster Division at the Somme.
Don't forget the 10th (Irish) div that also did splendidly during the war, they often fought alongside the 16th (Irish) Div

Don't forget the 10th (Irish) div that also did splendidly during the war, they often fought alongside the 16th (Irish) Div
10th Irish fought at Gallipoli and Palestine whilst the 16th Irish fought in Flanders and at the Somme.

My understanding anyway.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
10th Irish fought at Gallipoli and Palestine whilst the 16th Irish fought in Flanders and at the Somme.

My understanding anyway.
Google it, I shall have to do likewise, but I do remember reading that at the time of the Easter uprising both the 10th and the 16th Divs were heavily engaged in Flanders down around the Somme somewher?

My understanding anyway.
You are correct, their service as a complete Division was on Gallipoli and in the Middle east. However some battalions were withdrawn from the Division in late1917, they were replaced by Indian battalions, in order to release the British and Irish Bns for the Western Front where the Bns were incorporated into other Divisions.

Google it, I shall have to do likewise, but I do remember reading that at the time of the Easter uprising both the 10th and the 16th Divs were heavily engaged in Flanders down around the Somme somewher?

You are correct, their service as a complete Division was on Gallipoli and in the Middle east. However some battalions were withdrawn from the Division in late1917, they were replaced by Indian battalions, in order to release the British and Irish Bns for the Western Front where the Bns were incorporated into other Divisions.
10th Irish
"1917 and 1918
On 18 August 1917, the Division was ordered to concentrate at the port of Salonika for embarakation. Early in September it moved to Egypt, completing assembly near Rafa by 16 October 1917. The Division was involved in the Palestine campaign thereafter. Between April and June 1918, a major reorganisation took place as many
British units were replaced by Indian ones.

On 12 November 1918 the Division concentrated at Sarafand, ready for moving back to Egypt. By 1 December it was at Cairo."
10th (Irish) Division – The Long, Long Trail

16th Irish.
"18 June 1918 : After suffering very heavy casualties a decision was taken to return the Division to England for refit and it was then significantly reconstituted. The Division lost virtually all of its remaining Irish units at this point.
1 August 1918 : returned to France."

16th (Irish) Division – The Long, Long Trail

I know. How dare they think they could consider such a thing in the post peace process 21st century. Oh, hang on. It’s Donegal. Set your watch to 1956. Wait, that gonzo Donnelly involved? Set them to 1916 instead ffs. Admirable on the part of the hotel they thought it could host it. Sadly though realism has a habit of trumping optimism in this part of the world. Adds fuel though to concerns of some unionists that their identity and culture will be respected in the event of a UI.

My mum was born in Buncrana. Left at 17 (which was actually 1956!) for the UK and never, ever went back.

SpudGunny

War Hero
A tea party themed on a Royal wedding? What were they thinking?
No-one would have batted at eye at that in Dublin as long as the tea was artisanal and the avocado toast was plentiful.

Nor Cork. That’s because they have nictitating membranes there instead of proper eyelids, mind.

My mum was born in Buncrana. Left at 17 (which was actually 1956!) for the UK and never, ever went back.
If you're going places, Buncrana's probably a good place to start.

No-one would have batted at eye at that in Dublin as long as the tea was artisanal and the avocado toast was plentiful.

Nor Cork. That’s because they have nictitating membranes there instead of proper eyelids, mind.
I wonder what they'll do to RTE for broadcasting the wedding. Burn their TV licences outside the GPO probably. Mind you the same people will be attending the Pro-Choice rally there on Saturday so it could get ugly.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

SpudGunny

War Hero
I wonder what they'll do to RTE for broadcasting the wedding. Burn their TV licences outside the GPO probably. Mind you the same people will be attending the Pro-Choice rally there on Saturday so it could get ugly.
Sure, Mrs. Winsdor had a lovely time back in 2011. She and the rest of her family would be welcome for a bit of dinner round mine anytime as long as they were OK with builder’s tay in mugs or a bottle of stout while they waited.

Forced-Birther and Shinner cnuts can fcuk right off though.

I recall reading somewhere that Phil the Greek made the beast with two backs in Buncrana during His Naval days in WW2. So there is a royal connection like it or not...;)

Latest Threads