Union flag row in Donegal

My ancestors are French and Dutch. If you're not from the Caribbean or Africa then you're probably safe from our empire building :)
My ancestors would have referred to you as "de innemy" then. :D

As a real NODUF I have thought that more than once. Handing back the Colours would be a nice gesture but then we would have every decker turning asking for everything we ever took from them so a no no
The Mess Silver of the Royal Irish Regiment (18th Foot, not that Northern abomination) will do for a start.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Mess Silver of the Royal Irish Regiment (18th Foot, not that Northern abomination) will do for a start.
In the Mall in Armage City, In the Military Museum, I used to have a morning cup of tea with a MaJ McGuinness (Retired) Royal Irish Fusiliers, Two former RSM's used to often be there. The stories were brilliant, however there was a few pieces of Gold Plate in there locked in a solid thick glass cupboard.

The story was: When they left Dunkirk in a hurry in May 1940, the Germans pinched the Regimental Silver. After the war a Regimental deputation went back to Germany to try to retrieve it. Naturally it was not to be found. Conrad Adenauer? The post war German Chancellor replaced it with a few nice pieces of solid gold plate. Also in the display was a letter from Adenauer sort of apologizing for the silver's loss.

Garry Cooper::at it's height I suppose there was about a hundred thousand Brits in all of Ireland? and now with about four million Irish living here, then who is occupying who. Though I might add of all immigrants that have put foot on our shores give me the Irish every time. .

In the Mall in Armage City, In the Military Museum, I used to have a morning cup of tea with a MaJ McGuinness (Retired) Royal Irish Fusiliers, Two former RSM's used to often be there. The stories were brilliant, however there was a few pieces of Gold Plate in there locked in a solid thick glass cupboard.

The story was: When they left Dunkirk in a hurry in May 1940, the Germans pinched the Regimental Silver. After the war a Regimental deputation went back to Germany to try to retrieve it. Naturally it was not to be found. Conrad Adenauer? The post war German Chancellor replaced it with a few nice pieces of solid gold plate. Also in the display was a letter from Adenauer sort of apologizing for the silver's loss.

Garry Cooper::at it's height I suppose there was about a hundred thousand Brits in all of Ireland? and now with about four million Irish living here, then who is occupying who. Though I might add of all immigrants that have put foot on our shores give me the Irish every time. .
Awwww Jaysus dya hear dat Gary ???? Dats fierce kind of ya sur ( doffs cap and bows out of room )

On a more serious note on a tour of the Officers Mess in Brompton, we were shown some wooden panelling that had been given back to the British Army by the Irish Army at some point. The idea of returning colours would be an excellent one.

Would the 1st Battalion (formerly the Irish Rangers) not have a sizeable collection ? Considering their lineage, surely they have some very impressive pieces ?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Would the 1st Battalion (formerly the Irish Rangers) not have a sizeable collection ? Considering their lineage, surely they have some very impressive pieces ?
During 1975 2UDR moved their Location from Gough Barracks Armagh to the new Dramadd Baracks just up the Portadown Road. We had to clear the barracks for handover.

In the process we found all sorts hidden within the cellars of the Victorian Keep. The Bn had once been the Armagh 'B' Specials and had earned a very good reputation in the competition shooting world. One small 'dungeon' within the bowels of the Keep contained about 30 or 40 'B' Special solid silver trophies. The one time officers Mess had solid carved oak paneling.

The RQMS was a civilian and a top bloke. He told me two days later that word had got out and he was descended on by two local retired Brigadiers (Both of the same name) The RQMS was sworn to secrecy. They Brigs split the silver, kept some and handed out some pieces to ex members, some of it went to HQ NI. One of the Brigadiers stripped the officers mess of the wall paneling and had it installed in his home. I don't think they would have got away with that in present times.

I read recently that the Royal Irish donated their Mess Silver or part of to the Irish Guards. Although they forgot one silver plate which used reside in the Officers Mess in Clonmel and is currently in Limerick.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
There are eleven sets of Irish Regimental Colours hanging in Windsor Castle. They were left there for safe keeping by the Colour Parties of the Irish Regiments being disbanded after the partition of Ireland in June 1922. They were handed over in a ceremony to an emotional George Vth, The Battle Honours listed on those colours equal our own Battalions and are dated from Plassy to Waterloo, to Ypres, Somme Passchendaele etc..

Perhaps it may be time to offer them back.
"They were left there for safe keeping"
Presumably in good faith of this trust being adhered to.
Unless there are any Bn members alive and in good mental health today who believe otherwise, it's not up to us to break that trust.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
"They were left there for safe keeping"
Presumably in good faith of this trust being adhered to.
Unless there are any Bn members alive and in good mental health today who believe otherwise, it's not up to us to break that trust.
Please allow me to disagree entirely. There is a very strong 'Western Front Association' in and about Dublin and other lager towns and cities in Ireland, a membership that was not there 20 years ago is now growing. . Being a member myself I meet some of these people.

The Battle honours on those colours were not gained by British and American tourists who visit Windsor Castle, they were gained by young Irishmen. WW1 saw about 11000 of them die from the two Divisions that they provided.(something near 45% )10th and 16th Irish Divs. The descendants of those men are in Ireland, the colours should go home.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Please allow me to disagree entirely. There is a very strong 'Western Front Association' in and about Dublin and other lager towns and cities in Ireland, a membership that was not there 20 years ago is now growing. . Being a member myself I meet some of these people.

The Battle honours on those colours were not gained by British and American tourists who visit Windsor Castle, they were gained by young Irishmen. WW1 saw about 11000 of them die from the two Divisions that they provided.(something near 45% )10th and 16th Irish Divs. The descendants of those men are in Ireland, the colours should go home.
As in the North Transept of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin.