Union Flag or Union Jack?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by PK, May 30, 2004.

1. Union Flag

2. Union Jack

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. PK

PK Old-Salt

I call this a Union Flag and get rather upset when people call it a Union Jack when it is not being flown on a ship.

I'm thinking a jack is a ship/boat flaggy thing and a flag is what normal people would see it as.

Just me feeling very British about things today and wanting to get the right name in the right place. Comments on a postcard to this callsign... :?

2. This may help.

The flag staff on the bow of a ship is called the Jack Staff. When a British ship is in port a union flag is flown from it and it is called the Union Jack. The flag has always been called the union Flag.
  3. Kel

Kel Old-Salt

No FF, it's either the Union flag or the Jack flag, never the Union Jack. Correct on the positioning of the Jackstaff though.
  4. Is this pedant's corner or what? keep it simple; everyone knows what the Union Jack is, a lot of people wil not be familiar with the term Union Flag (which sounds like something that might of been carrried in the US Civil War). Does it make any huge difference what it is called? ergo, keep calling it the Union Jack.
  5. Union Jack
    Union Jack
    Union Jack

are you upset i just did that?
  6. abso-bloody-lutely livid!
    What a horrendous thing to do.

7. And I thought I was having a bad time. You must have lost some sleep on this one. Don't know how you coped on your own. Hats off to you though. You could have bottled it and went to the Samaritans.
  8. PK

PK Old-Salt

Thank you for your understanding whilst I am going through this hard time :D

More than can be said for some...

And what with jack being a slang term for some lazy bar-steward I didn't think that it would be befitting this great country by describing it's flag as such... :roll:

Feeling very bored now and am in need of urgent medication :|
  9. Actually I disagree. I think that 'Jack' is a very apt term by which to describe the occupants of this country. I've never met such a self centered bunch of lazy, fag smokin', SKY SPORTS watchin', work shy, drunken wasters in my life.

And that's just the white folks!