Unintended Consequences

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Mr_Fingerz, Aug 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. I said this as soon as the minimum pricing was announced.

I'll be running 3 of these 3 times a day, drop me a PM if you're looking for a job or some bevvy.

scania_topline_pk51_4c2.jpg

3. Scottish Customs Officers at the Border? I doubt it as they will not have any legal powers as long as the booze is bought by individuals for their own consumption and the Customs will have to show that in a Court. There is a thing called the European Union. The EU has used the excuse of a free market in goods and the free movement of labour as justification for imposing laws and directives from Brussels on all members of the EU. Until the the breakup of the Union, Scotland is still in the Union and therefore the EU and the free movement of goods etc applies. Porky Salmond can cock a snoot at the EU but I doubt if that will greatly increase the chance of an Independent Jockland joining the Brussels gravy-train. I reckon that customs etc is one of those competences that is still controlled by Westminster and I doubt if those thieving cnuts there will vote to let the Scottish Parliament take over the responsibility.

Years and years ago I was having a quiet Friday night drink with a girl in a pub just south of the Border near Gretna (the Gretna Bridge I think) There were a few other people in the bar but at about 2145 the place emptied and a few minutes later is was full of shouting Jocks ordering booze as if their life depended on it. In those days, pubs in the land of Ally's Tartan Army closed at 2200 on a Friday and in the land of the winners of the World Cup at 2300. The landlord of the pub told me later that that hour on a Friday night kept his pub going.

The differential in booze price is one of the unintended consequences that an Independent Scotland will have to face. As the new Jockland my not even be in the Commonwealth, where are the soldiers in the new Jock army to come from?

4. Why would they need to prove it was bought for their own consumption? It's not being moved out of the UK, not until/if Scotland get independence. You can fill up a truck full of booze anywhere in England and legally sell it anywhere in Scotland provided you have a licence to sell and a legitimate business.

5. I am aware of that and even mention the legal bit about the competences of the Westminster Parliament in my posting. I could go on but have just noticed the RE "bomb disposal" badge. That explains it.

6. WTF has the EU got to do with moving booze around INSIDE the borders of the UK?

7. everything now......;-)

8. The Metal Bridge? My mates sister worked there.

9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

(2/3*7/8)*Square root of Fuck All. But some people will bite at the smallest bait of they get to extemporise on their prejudices.

I was being facetious about the Scots patrolling the land boundary.

10. Sorry Joe it wasn't the Metal Brig as that is a few miles from the Border and I use to know it quite well. This one was on the old main road to Jockland before it became dualled. It was at the junction of a back road to Longtown and literally just indside England on the South bank of the burn that is the Border. Ah yes there was a bridge over the burn hence I thought it was the Gretna Bridge. I've just checked Google Earth and it was the Gretna Chase Hotel.

• Like Like x 1
  11. That explains what? I only commented on the legalities of bulk buying booze, not your "expertise" in the EOD world.

12. So you are not going to give it a like then? In my experience, the bulk buying of booze has little to do with EOD therefore I never mentioned it my previous pots.

13. However the bulk consumption of booze by ATs on Op Banner seems to have been the norm!

14. You have me at a disadvantage as I am easily confused. Clearly there was mention in your earlier "pots".

• Like Like x 2