unifrom queation

Discussion in 'RAC' started by usa1981, Nov 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do officers and inlisted men have to wear name patches above there pocket on there battle dress unifrom?

2. Where worn - Yes - they are the same for all ranks.

3. Would there be any solider or officer would not do so? During a Rememberace Day Parade. What about an undershirt.

4. No but they would probably be able to spell. After checking your previous posts, i really wonder what this threads going to turn into.

5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

If your on a walt hunt this is not the place for it.

6. Id check his previous posts!!! he is obviously on summat

7. Some soldiers do and some don't. Depends on Corps/Regt policy. The AGC and REME at our place don't wear them, we (R Sigs) do.

Who on earth would go on parade in an undershirt?

8. Ok I'm only a stab but my field smock has nothing on it, I prefer it to look like a shrub instead of a boy scout shirt.......

9. Do all R Sigs wear them? The ones here wear them as well, but other Corps don't.

10. Think so - we didn't in NI when I was there, but everywhere I've been (as a posting or visiting) since does.

11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

We didn't as a rule wear them at all until Ex Lionheart came along in 1984 and some bright spark thought it might be wise if visiting generals knew what to call the soldiers they were patronising. ("Hoy you" always worked for me.)

Prior to Ex Spearpoint in 1980, we wore nothing apart from rank badges (and the odd regimental accoutrement on Number 2s). For Spearpoint, somebody thought it would be clever if Germans could pick out German speakers easily (IIRC Orange Forces included a German Panzerregiment along with 2 US Armored Division, "Hell on Wheels", deployed by Op Reforger direct from Texas), so that anyone with Colloquial German or above was given a strip of six Bundeswehr cockades to wear on the left arm above the combat jacket pocket or the equivalent on green skins.

12. We had a fetish for name tags in my regiment. Saved the CO from learning the names I suppose........................

13. Boggles we started to wear name tags in the Regt because the RSM wanted it and who was going to argue with him.

14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Wouldn't know mate. JC didn't introduce it and he ceased to be RSM same time I ceased to be 15/19H in 1982.

Clearly it was becoming the fasion between 82 and 84 though.

I take it you have your new garrison in control? Haven't seen you online for a while.

15. We certainly had names tags on our coveralls in 1RTR from when I joined in Jan 72 so I assume they had them long before then. I remember one wag sewed his upside down and when asked by his troop sgt why, he replied just in case he forgot his name - logical I suppose???