Uniforms in public

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Goony, Mar 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So with all the news about the RAF in Peterborough being urged not to wear their uniforms in public, and with Brown urging the opposite I was wondering how arrse members felt about the subject and what would you advise.

I had my ADSC on the same day as the story broke and the RSM told us never to advertise that we are in the army. Granted this was in Northern Ireland but he mentioned that we should do the same when anywhere else.
  2. The Crabs wear Uniforms?
    I always thought it was work clothes.

But I see nothing wrong with wearing uniform provided that,
    1. Security is not involved.
    2. You are not disgracing it. - Like that Gunner Sgt. in the streets of Chester last August, you know who you are.

We have a pride in wearing it do we not? So what is wrong with that?
    Note that I am not advocating wearing it all the time, but traveling too and from places seems legit.
  3. Same on my ADSC we was told not to wear uniform in public for security reasons etc but funnily enough on the train there i saw a Rifles guy in full boots,combats and a very cheap looking bright green rifles jacket.
  4. I would like to as I take pride in my uniform but I don't think jo public would really find it all nice and would no doubt make my life hell so its easier the way it is now my neighbours don't know what I do and I like it that way plus going about alone in uniform isn't that great in case some one tries there luck with you.
  5. It might be worth remembering that in the 50s,60s and 70s when we could quite safely wear uniform in public very few of us did unless we had to. The only time I wore uniform when travelling was when I was hitch hiking as it helped to get lifts in those days.
  6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Referees 'should wear uniforms when off-duty'
    The government has called for football referees to wear their kit in public when they are off-duty, despite a number of recent incidents in which they have been subjected to verbal abuse.

A memo from the Football Association caused a political storm this week when it advised referees to avoid wearing their distinctive black shirt and shorts when not officiating in a football match as it might cause passers-by to shout and swear at them. Even out of uniform referees are quite easy to spot by the way they run backwards, shake their heads in an exaggerated fashion when they say 'no', and constantly fake laughter in an attempt to diffuse any potentially volatile situation.

To read the full story, http://newsbiscuit.com/article/referees-should-wear-uniforms-when-off-duty-236.

This is brought to you by NewsBiscuit.
  7. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

what's the use of wearing uniform off-duty?

btw - it's not allowed in germany - i can say for sure
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I'm all in favour of uniforms being worn in the streets. Nurses, nuns, Salvation Army girls. I just believe it should be of a more modern design, perhpas along the lines of the Anne Summers collection.

When I served, we were encouraged to wear uniform, but few did (it was the 60's and fashion was great), but as a previous poster said, for travelling home, especially when hitchiking , it couldn't be beaten. Just remember, there were still an awful lot of ex servicemen, either from National Service or WW2 still about, and they were very squaddy friendly. As for nowadays, why not wear it? Ignore the catcalling of uneducated frogspawn, and as for those peace-loving followers of the 'Peaceful' religion, report them for hate crime. It would work if it was the other way around.
  9. Wear it if you will chaps, but one plea: don't be seen mooching along without head dress, hands in pockets, smoking a fag (in the UK sense) or otherwise looking like a sack of shiite and so bringing the Service into disrepuute.
  10. Question - Head dress on or off inside an airport?
  11. Answer: civ air, yes until you go air side. Mil air, at the mercy of the AM polizei!
  12. I saw one of the Gurkhers in town in uniform the other day. Nobody batted an eyelid, got my blood boiling though as he had his combat jacket on but no green belt. Disgrace to the service if you ask me, I was going to go over and have it out with him but I was very busy and in a rush so I let him get away with it.
  13. Whilst I don't wear uniform when I don't have to, if I'm on my way to training and I have to drop into the local Tesco Express (which I normally do to stock up on bags of morale for the coming weekend) then I make sure that myself and the guys with me are in correct dress and looking smart.

Pulled one of our recruits up a couple of weeks ago because he looked like a walking sack of * whilst out in public.

Fortunately I haven't had anyone say anything to me whilst being in uniform, apart from last year when I was on a recruitment stand and a couple of hippy come student types came up and start gobbing off about war and trying to convert me to flower power. Told them to politely foxtrot oscar and got on with my job.
  14. So you think the American sense would be OK?
  15. DeeJay,
    No, just pre-empting the usual comments.......