Uniform Upkeep Allowance - How will you spend it

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Two_Cookers, Nov 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just received my payslip and the annual princely sum of £12 for the maintenance of my uniforms. I can't even begin to think how I might spend it so I was wondering how you will spend yours?

2. I give it to the good lady to supplement the housekeeping, she usually uses it as her annual shoe budget. :twisted:

3. I would consider spending it on the upkeep of uniform.

4. Having spent a lot more than my £400 ish allowance buying Red Coat mess kit, Service dress, No. 1 Dress Blues, Sam Browne and Sword in 2000, I am now faced with the prospect of buying new Green mess kit, new Service dress, new Cross belt etc, etc.

I don't think the £12 will cover it!!

You would think that some fund at one of the RHQs could help? Or am I being over optimistic.

WM.

5. 8 pints of John Smith's bitter in Dickie Lewis' during happy hour. Do it now.

6. Excuse my ignorance, but is this allowance limited to officers?

Thanks

HS

7. WM, if you are serious, the time to make your views known to the new Regimental Secretary via your adj is right [hint]now[/hint]. The iron will never be hotter.
    Hope this helps,

Edited to add: the service dress and crossbelt will almost certainly be issued at regimental expense. If in doubt, speak to the QM.

8. Happysapper - it is limited to officers for the upkeep of mess and service uniforms (I think). Officers are not issued either once commissioned so have to purchase them - they cost lots of John Smiths tokens!

9. Hi All,

In the days of the WRAC, our skirted members used to get an official annual payment for stockings/tights (I can't spell hosery :D ). It was of the order of £5 per annum, but I think it vanished along with the WRAC.

Best Regards,

b_flat

10. msr

msr LE

I am lead to believe that female TA soldiers still get a GBP1.80 per annum allowance.

msr

11. Hi All,

I was under the impression that if you changed regiment it was not compulsory to change your mess dress (so as to prevent large expences). If your regiment changes, but you remain in the same place, as it were, then I guess the same principle must apply?

Best Regards,

b_flat

12. I have just checked my payslips online. For the bonus of being female you do indeed recieve an allowance for tights- not that we have to buy any since we wear the same uniform, and not that you would be able to buy even one pair at that price! :roll:

HOSE ALLCE 01 APR 06 to 01 APR 06 (N) 1.30 1.30

13. Well, buy 'em, wear 'em and then Ebay 'em, I say! :hump:

14. I note with interest that it is an allowance for 'hosiery', not tights. I'm sure there is scope here for an Arrse whip round to make up the cost of stockings for all...

My god did I write that out loud?

Baah!

Nurse, the screens!

15. Look on the bright side, when they start issuing the new No2/Service Dress you won't even get £12 and still have to buy the accesories!

Just waiting for the Guards to realise that we will all look like them and see what they change to...............................