Uniform/Traditions Question....

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by blonde_guy, Jul 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Corps/Regimental Uniforms and Traditions

Each regiment has its own variations on dress (especially the cavalry) and I was just curious, what different uniforms & embellishments, odd quirks and traditions do the different corps and regiments have? I would be grateful for your help!
  2. Two I can think of off-hand

Royal Welch Fusiliers wore a black ribbon on the back of their collars. I don't know why.

The Gloucesters had a cap badge on the front and back of their caps to commemorate the Battle of Alexandria in Egypt in 1801 where they fought off a French attack from the front and rear simultaneously.

I don't know whether these traditions are carried on by their successor regiments, the Royal Welsh Regiment and the Rifles*.

I'm sure there's more.

3. WelshFusiliers is easy. They used to wear there hair in a tarred pig tail which left a black mark on the back of their uniform. When they got told to get their haircut and the pig tail was abolished they wanted to reproduce the black mark. Quite eccentric butthe Regimental system is what makes us what we are. Up to now anyway!!
  4. The ribbon represents that used to wrap the que-tail (or pigtail if you will) worn by soldiers during the 18th century and into the early years of the 19th. The soldiers of the Royal Welch Fusiliers (or rather its antecedent regiment) were on baord ship at the time, and were therefore the last British Army regiment to receive the order. The regiment was granted the right to wear the collar ribbon to commemorate this fact.

Another interesting regimental quirk (and I hope I have the right regiment):

The officers of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers wear the cross-belt of their Sam Browne's back-to-front to commemorate the time that King Alfonso XIII of Spain visited the regiment in his capacity as Colonel-in-Chief, and wore his cross-belt back-to-front in error; not wishing to embarrass him, the officers of the regiment reversed theirs.
  6. The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding) was the only Regiment to carry Honorary Colours as well as the Queen's Colours on parade. I'll let you work out why.
  7. The Black Watch didn't wear a cap badge on their TOS (Don't know about other headdress) but sinply wore the red hackle.

There is a book
    "Badge Backings and Specila Embellishments f the Britis Army" produced by The Ulster Defence Regiment Benevolent Fund. which describes a myriad of regimental 'peculiarities' of dress.
    According to this "a bunch of 5 black ribbon tails is worn at the back of the collar.This had originall been a bow of broad ribbon worn with the greased pigtail to protect the uniform jacket.
  8. I RRF & decentdants of 5RNF carry three colours on St Georges day, the 3rd one being the drummers colour, something to do with the battle of Wilhelstahl iirc & a young drummer capturing or retreiving a colour..
  9. RHF carried three Colours on parade one being presented for their contribution at the battle of Assaye.
    Gloucesters wore two badges as folklaw states they were attacked from the rear when in line and the order rear rank about face was given hence badge on rear of beret.
  10. STAFFORDS wear a patch of "Holland Cloth" behind the cap badge as a reminder that they were stationed in the West Indies for so long (1707 - 1764) that they ran out of uniforms and red cloth and adopted replacements from sugar sacking known as Holland Cloth.
  11. Gloucesters wore two badges as folklaw states they were attacked from the rear when in line and the order rear rank about face was given hence badge on rear of beret.

It's not FolkLORE it's regimental history. The army is very strict about allowinany variation in dress and this would have been well researched.
  12. Actually, the RWF didn't have an antecedent regiment (they were the 23rd Foot) though they went through a variation or two on the name before it settled down. The new Regiment is The Royal Welsh; the Royal Welsh Regiment was the TA amalgamation of 3 RWF and 2 RRW which existed from 1999 to 2006, thus neatly removing the option for the new Regiment to use the name.

The distinction, along with the White Hackle, the Wreath of Immortelles presented for Isandlwana/ Rorke's Drift and the green patch behind the capbadge carried forward to The Royal Welsh.
  13. Middlesex Yeomanry of old, used to wear a crown above their tapes. so, a lance jack on his No2s had two tapes and a crown, as did a Cpl, but a Sgt had 3 and a crown, and a SSgt, 4 tapes (yes fore) and a crown. F***ing confusing believe me.
    Now they are a TA unit and it has sort of been embellished into traditional dress now.
  14. My bold

Now I asked about this only the other day and didnt really get an answer( to be fair I was hijacking the thread completely)

however seeing as this is more relevant and brought up by someone else can it please be explained????

15. At 100 Regiment RA(v) dinner nights the ROS used to read out Pt 1 Orders after dinner.

Never thuoght PtI's funny before but the chap I heard had us all in stitches. Doubtless an ex 100 Rgt Officer could explain why.