Uniform Question (yes another one)

#1
So, spending a bit of time this summer on one of Her Majesties War Canoes and will be in the Wardroom - after 1830hrs the RN change into 'Red Sea Rig' (White Open Shirt, Black Trs and Cummerbund)

Previously when in a similar situation I've warn my 2's (more of a thing for when on duty rather than for scoff) but to be honest it doesnt really compare and is too bloody warm for the middle of the summer.

What to do? Reckon I could dredge up Barrack Dress from the past and wear it sleeves up or what? Lightweights just look like sh1t so dont wanna go down that road.
 
#3
Red Sea Rig for a soldier would be mess kit trousers, dinner shirt, cummerbund and bow tie. Or you could ask a Royal Marine what he would wear - on Rum Ration.
 
#4
Solon_of_Athens said:
Red Sea Rig for a soldier would be mess kit trousers, dinner shirt, cummerbund and bow tie. Or you could ask a Royal Marine what he would wear - on Rum Ration.
Stockings, suspenders, basque............ :p:p:p
 
#5
I have just had this conversation with the captain of a Grey Funnel Line ship I will shortly be visiting. Barbarasson is spot on - Barrack Dress is the way ahead; hopefully garnished with an outrageous stable belt, clip clop brown shoes to mess up the decks and (naturellement) a side hat!
 
#6
AF1771 said:
Solon_of_Athens said:
Red Sea Rig for a soldier would be mess kit trousers, dinner shirt, cummerbund and bow tie. Or you could ask a Royal Marine what he would wear - on Rum Ration.
Stockings, suspenders, basque............ :p:p:p
You're thinking of the Brigade of Guards, Booties go naked.
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#7
I just cracked on with CS95 - one outfit for all occasions!

Edited to add - I suppose it depends on how long you are there for and in what capacity.
 
#8
Solon is right. If they are dressing for dinner you can't tip up in barrack dress. You should wear the same as they do but buy a Regtl Cummerbund. Planters order may be appropriate.
 
#9
Solon_of_Athens said:
Red Sea Rig for a soldier would be mess kit trousers, dinner shirt, cummerbund and bow tie. Or you could ask a Royal Marine what he would wear - on Rum Ration.
You are absolutely right. Spurs are not considered a good idea. you could get away with George boots if you do not want to wear wellies. Anyone wearing CS95 is IMHO quite beyond the pale and would be letting the side down.

as for
You're thinking of the Brigade of Guards, Booties go naked.

Booties get naked having removed the basque etc. They never start from a straight form of dress. At least none of the ones I know would consider getting naked if only wearing blokes kit to start with. A proper level of perversion is de rigeur.
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#10
I worked for the Royal Navy for nearly a year, as the only Army officer in what was then a purely RN/RAF establishment - HQ CINCFLEET - and got away with outright murder dresswise. I reckon you could do t-shirt, bermuda shorts and flip-flops without too many worries: not forgetting the issue Oakleys on the back of the head.
 

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
#11
cpunk said:
I worked for the Royal Navy for nearly a year, as the only Army officer in what was then a purely RN/RAF establishment - HQ CINCFLEET - and got away with outright murder dresswise. I reckon you could do t-shirt, bermuda shorts and flip-flops without too many worries: not forgetting the issue Oakleys on the back of the head.
When I was at DSL Beaconsfield in the mid-80s (as a virtuous young full screw), I swear the Army Ruperts used to compete on orders of dress, with the Cav well ahead on points until the competition was ended when the RN won hands down. Their Russian Interpreters came up to Beaconsfield from the Deep West when the various establishments amalgamated. and one particularly spectacularly bearded aviator Lt Cdr decided that it was Naval tradition to grow his hair long and wear it in a queue, lashed in stout string (but not, alas, tarred). The Brigadier just stared at it when he saw it and wandered off, glassy-eyed.

The RAF contribution was that one of their Nigels wore proper shoes one day, rather than those DMS abominations the others lived in. Tchah. Drivers heavy and light airframe and commissioned garage mechanics, to a man.
 
#12
Hmmm, doesnt seem to be a general trend in the answers! Surely wearing bits of mess kit would be a bit too much just for sitting about in the wardroom of an evening? I dont really know what to go with now, just want something a bit better than 95's (though as cpunk said you can get away with pretty much anything being a pongo somewhere like that!) Maybe I'll get away with just going planters or dog robbers and ditching the uniform (fairly unlikely though!)
 
#13
What about Monty's old shorts?

I think going off with the RN used to be a golden opportunity to dress in Coles pattern shirt, trousers l/w, stable belt and chukka boots? So what has changed?!
 
#14
This is what RM officers wear to dinner aboard HM ships:



Apparently they also have a long sleeve version, but I haven't ever seen it worn:

 
#16
If you're from a unit which doesn't go on ship very often (or even an army unit that does...) then you can pretty much make up 'your' unit's red sea rig - but common sense indicates that it should be along the lines of the Royal rig shown.

Mess rig trousers (or DJ trousers if you wear overalls, or get hold of a pair of Royal trousers), unit cummerbund, short sleeved white shirt with rank on shoulders...

Or ask your Regt Col - maybe you do have a Red Sea Rig from last time you sailed for India in the 1800s :)
 
#17
Am I stating the obvious, but isnt rachni a girl (apologies for undoubted seniority)? Hence difficulty posed by question. I doubt wearing taffata mess dress dress (as it were) is quite the vibe....
 
#18
barbarasson said:
Am I stating the obvious, but isnt rachni a girl (apologies for undoubted seniority)? Hence difficulty posed by question. I doubt wearing taffata mess dress dress (as it were) is quite the vibe....
Good skills barbarasson! That is indeed part of the problem as Royal Irish Mess Kit is a lovely green crepe dress (bleugh) so makes things more difficult as i cant really wear that. I'm starting to think I may just go barrack dress and plead ignorance (to save me bringing about a million pieces of kit on board!)
 
#19
rach-ni said:
barbarasson said:
Am I stating the obvious, but isnt rachni a girl (apologies for undoubted seniority)? Hence difficulty posed by question. I doubt wearing taffata mess dress dress (as it were) is quite the vibe....
Good skills barbarasson! That is indeed part of the problem as Royal Irish Mess Kit is a lovely green crepe dress (bleugh) so makes things more difficult as i cant really wear that. I'm starting to think I may just go barrack dress and plead ignorance (to save me bringing about a million pieces of kit on board!)
R.IRISH...wear the regimental body-stocking then for pity's sake!
 

Similar threads


New Posts

Latest Threads

Top