Uniform or not for funeral?

Could you help me out please?I am a matelot going to the funeral of Rifleman Daniel Coffey today and was unsure as to wear uniform or suit to it. I didn't really know him well but live in same town, went to same school and know family. Theres 300 other soldiers coming down for a full military funeral and i'm not sure if rig is suitable for me?

thank you very much for any help.

davy crockett

I don't think anyone would say anything either way - you may get a couple of confused looks but after all, what you are doing is honouring a fellow serviceman. Go with it.

Nice thought, turning up in uniform would show inter service solidarity.
But you may stand out like a spare lick at an icecream mans wedding , 300:1 not a good ratio so if its just you , personaly I'd go with the suit to be sure .

WW

In my experience, the presence of uniforms (or even one) at a serviceman's funeral is particularly appreciated by the family, even when the deceased is long-retired. It shows that our greater brotherhood still remembers and cares. No sex discrimination intended; I'm sure the same applies to our female compatriots too.

wheelchairwarrier said:
Nice thought, turning up in uniform would show inter service solidarity.
But you may stand out like a spare lick at an icecream mans wedding , 300:1 not a good ratio so if its just you , personaly I'd go with the suit to be sure.
I'd like to think that if the roles were reversed and it was one uniformed pongo in the midst of 300 sailors in rig, he wouldn't have to put his hand in his pocket all day. Not sure what condition he'd be in by the end of it though (hic!).

Agree with all above uniform nice touch

Uniform if you can - most of us are wearing suits due to the non-availability of the new Rifles adornments for No2s

Uniform loud and proud fella- don't forget to have a drink in his honour.

Uniform, absolutely.

night_crawler said:
Be proud and wear the uniform. Give respects from everyone at ARRSE...band of brothers, known or unknown we stand as one.
Nice sentiment have to admit

My bloke went to a funeral of a young officer yesterday and his parents requested that they all go in number one's - maybe it would be worth checking with someone to see what the family want or if he ever mentioned what he would like.

Probably a bit late now, but the families wishes are paramount; check if you are able. If no guidance is forthcoming, and it is a military funeral, uniform (immaculate tun out & worn with pride) is what you are looking for.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dangerousdave Army Reserve 20
helmdd The Intelligence Cell 2
Last_Four The Intelligence Cell 8