Uniform or not for funeral?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by wavydavynavy, Mar 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could you help me out please?I am a matelot going to the funeral of Rifleman Daniel Coffey today and was unsure as to wear uniform or suit to it. I didn't really know him well but live in same town, went to same school and know family. Theres 300 other soldiers coming down for a full military funeral and i'm not sure if rig is suitable for me?

thank you very much for any help.

davy crockett
  2. If you feel uncomfortable in uniform, then go in a suit.
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I don't think anyone would say anything either way - you may get a couple of confused looks but after all, what you are doing is honouring a fellow serviceman. Go with it.
  4. Nice thought, turning up in uniform would show inter service solidarity.
    But you may stand out like a spare lick at an icecream mans wedding , 300:1 not a good ratio so if its just you , personaly I'd go with the suit to be sure .

5. In my experience, the presence of uniforms (or even one) at a serviceman's funeral is particularly appreciated by the family, even when the deceased is long-retired. It shows that our greater brotherhood still remembers and cares. No sex discrimination intended; I'm sure the same applies to our female compatriots too.
  6. I'd like to think that if the roles were reversed and it was one uniformed pongo in the midst of 300 sailors in rig, he wouldn't have to put his hand in his pocket all day. Not sure what condition he'd be in by the end of it though (hic!).
  7. Agree with all above uniform nice touch
  8. Uniform if you can - most of us are wearing suits due to the non-availability of the new Rifles adornments for No2s
  9. You're more likely to pull in uniform... :D

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?! There are threads in the NAAFI Bar about pulling at funerals... :roll: :oops:
  10. EAGLE1

EAGLE1 On ROPs

Uniform loud and proud fella- don't forget to have a drink in his honour.
  11. Uniform mate - I,m sure it will be appreciated
  12. Uniform, absolutely.
  13. I echo the above. Uniform.
  14. Uniform definitely :thumright:
  15. yep uniform no question be proud.