Uniform Oddities & Differences

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by blonde_guy, Jan 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now the Regular Army itself is a myriad of different uniforms and traditions, yet the TA, with its Yeomanry and other roots, must also be rich in differences...

So I ask what peculiar things the TA wear, particularly with no. 1 & no. 2 dress and head dress differences, to their regular counterparts or between each battery, squadron or regiment. For example I know one Signals unit wears an embroidered green beret badge....

Please indulge me, as uniforms of the army is something that has long interested me!

2. A lot of TA RLC Squadrons are issued smaller 95 shirts than the rest of the army. You can tell by the way the bottom four buttons on their shirts are stretched to their limits. Hope this helps.

3. Ha Ha HA HA HA HAAAA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.............................KNOB!

4. Ahahahahahahahaha lol that laugh is exactly what I needed to cheer me up on a busy morning in an old army building with no heating :(

Thanks for that, seriously!
    Raab

5. STR (Scottish Transport Regt) wear a tartan backing behind the capbadge also from W02 upwards have a different stable belt same tartan with side buckles

6. 204 (Tyneside Scottish) Bty wear TOS with red hackle. They also have the longest honour title in the Royal Regiment.

7. I think it's mainly down to the lack of full-length mirrors in the accommodation provided to the TA. :oops:

8. Lots of the old Yeomanry units are now TA scaleys. The R SIGNALS dress policy (PD213) includes all sorts of weird and wonderful rigs for (now Signals Squadrons):

5 (Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars),
    41 (Princess Louise's Kensington),
    47 (Middlesex Yeomanry),
    68th (Inns of Court and City Yeomanry),
    70th (Essex Yeomanry),
    94th (Berkshire Yeomanry),
    265 (Kent & County of London Yeomanry),

as well as the usual deviations for Scottish and Irish tradition.

Unfortunately, apart from the odd traditional badge and snazzy stable belt - which are maintained for considerably more units than I mentioned - and some occasional strange headgear, most of this sartorial elegance is restricted to No1 Dress and mess kit.

Oh - and it is the IC&CY that wear a Lincoln Green backing to the beret badge.

9. Middlesex Yeomanry also have their own system of NCO's tapes - Cpl wears two & a crown, Sgt three & a crown, SSgt four & a crown. Sadly the SSM doesn't wear two crowns!

In SD/No 2 Dress the R Signals pattern forage cap is worn, but the collar badges are Middlesex Yeomanry & an airborne lanyard is worn in place of the R Signals blue one.

Sadly Mx Yeo Officers' Mess Kit is prohibitively expensive to have made and the one person who did so in recent years was ribbed endlessly for it being the wrong colour. NCO's Mess Kit is readily available, though, & very smart the troops look too...

10. Well, they may have made their own up but they ought to be using the Household Cav ones (but not their 'sergeant - that means servant' made up ranks :D ) See this thread: http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=11996.html and piccies here. Edited to add: BTW and tangentially - the pictures of the officers' ranks on the link are wrong - they show the usual "Bath Star" pips rather than the Household Division "Garter Star" accoutrements.

Crams the giggle into a snigger. Most mil tailors can manage to do Rifle Green (now, it would have been class to get the lining done in something other than the prescribed scarlet - old gold, or a family plaid, for example). What did he (I am assuming here) get wrong?

Pootles of in the direction of a G'n'T having conclusively demonstrated his pathetic spotterdom.

11. QOY Sqns wear their own sqn collar dogs on SDs, and own sqn Mess dress.
    Most Scottish units wear various tartans behind their capbadge, STR is Grant IIRC

12. The RWxY now has a snazzy black batch behind its four capbadges. Two of those capbadges have red backing to their capbadge before the black patch. The black patch came from the Dorset yeomanry and was adopted following the entire regiment wearing a brown beret (same as the KRH) to mark their link with the RTR.

13. It used to be the case (I don't know if it still is) that it was an offence under Queens Regs for a group of TA to be photographed without at least one member wearing Reactolite or tinted glasses.

In order that this rule was never broken, it was common to see photos with several pairs on show.

14. msr

msr LE

It is no longer the case... :)

msr

15. Re Idrach and the lining - BravoBravo will be able to guess who the officer in a certain London RGJ company was who ordered a new No1 jacket with pink lining a couple of years ago

I always imagined that a modern-style Bateman cartoon might see a group of TA officers in varied forms of address with a figure to their front looking askance at one immaculate officer with the title being - 'The Adjutants Inspection - the TA subaltern whose uniform fitted'