UNIFORM IN PUBLIC UK MAINLAND - THE REGULATIONS

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Outstanding, Jan 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I ahdalways assumed that wearing Uniform in public is allowed, unless specifically ordered otherwise.
    Nit Walty wearing it to the shops, but to and from work/exercise or even on returning from Ops.
    The concerns related to Irish terrorism are now largely aside and I consider NI to be a specifically regulated area.

So what are the actual regulations?

What are the "policy" exemptions? (Like the ones quoted for Birmingham airport!)

2. AIN 3307, I believe (available through ArmyNet). Northern Ireland is still seen as different.

There is also a LANDSO out, I believe, though I don't have the reference.

3. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

From AIN 33/07:

KEY POINTS

• With the exception of Northern Ireland, personnel may wear uniform whilst off duty in public unless otherwise directed by the chain of command. This is no change to the current policy, which is based on the principle of personal choice.

• In circumstances where personnel wish to preserve their anonymity or the anonymity of their family and home address they will not be compelled to wear uniform in public unless on duty.

• Commanders and COs are empowered to modify regulations, but are required to inform their regional chain of command when they make such modifications.

• Whilst public visibility of officers and soldiers in uniform raises the profile of the Army, the wearing of uniform in public also brings with it a responsibility to maintain the highest standards of both dress and behaviour.

4. we was encouraged by the LtCol of my TA reg to wear our uniform to and from the TAC to raise our profile in the area

5. I would also point you in the direction of JSP 440 Part 7, Section 1, Chapter 7, Paragraphs 24 - 28.

Enjoy

Ish

6. You should be aware that it is an offence to travel around outside military establishments dressed in military uniform without the permission of the local commander. When travelling, you are not display any items of military equipment, this includes bergens and military memorabilia. Remember you compromise yourself and put your friends in danger. The threat of terrorist attacks against army personnel is a real fact. Dont become another statistic!

Copied from recruit course instructions.

7. confused . com ??????

8. Nope, historic docs I'd suggest.

9. That's a bit out of date and also a bit over the top is it not? Doesn't sound like the rest of the recent MOD statements which seem to be actively encouraging uniform in public.

10. When 1985? Or where you on a course in NI?

Who ever wrote that little gem needs to get up to speed.

11. Edit : Just seen your post Ste

12. im still a recruit so docs are very current!!

13. Not encouraged nor discouraged from wearing uniform in public round these parts. Its very much a matter of personal choice.

14. Yes, you're still a recruit which means your CoC has probably decided to follow this:
    With the exception of Northern Ireland, personnel may wear uniform whilst off duty in public unless otherwise directed by the chain of command. This is no change to the current policy, which is based on the principle of personal choice.
    and order no rig outside.

A gaggle of recruits wandering amongst the local civpop, looking like a badly co-ordinated bag of smashed crabs and getting up to high jinks after 1 or 2 too many shandies doesn't promote the profile of the Armed Forces in a positive way.

Someone that has been in more that a dog-watch is more likely to take this part seriously:
    the wearing of uniform in public also brings with it a responsibility to maintain the highest standards of both dress and behaviour.
    and, therefore, is not barred from travelling in rig, often being encouraged to do so.

15. Well, they've got me on 25f, unless you have an unusually expansive definition of "duty". Each Remembrance Day, for a start.