Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Uniform change

Should the uniform be chaanged?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No I meant the Pullovers as part of Barrack dress instead of the standard green one. When you are working On the wards you should be in working dress, or scrubs might be more practicle. (DPM would better hide the various stains and scrubs could go in the bucket at the end of the day or as often as required)

Ah right okay, thought you meant for clinical work. I can't imagine nurses in clinical areas wearing C95 because of the cost implications in that washing it day in day out would mean it wouldn't last five minuites and boot's arn't practical for walking round wards all day because they mark the floors and stuff the cleaners would have a fit! The concept of trousers and tunic is good and it also brings us into line with our civilian counterparts who mainly wear them but also means we keep our identity as military nurses instead of looking like soldiers. I know the bottom line is that we are soldiers, but I can't imagine pateints taking to us wearing green kit for work, its hard enough explaining to them the diffrent uniforms as it is. Trying to explain to patients the diffrence between Nurses, Doctors, health care assistants etc would be a nightmare. Yes I am aware that we wear name badges, but unfortunatly not everyone can read or in fact choses to read a name badge.

SD,

I'm not sure why you care if the punters know that you're a nurse or not. The average perception of a nurse is glorified trolly dolly, not the professional clinician that I know most of you are.

Sknn,
Tends to make life a little easier if patients know who you are. Have just spent the last year doing a course where I worked in civilian clothing in clinical areas - it was a nightmare, if staff didn't have badges it was difficult to identfy who was who. I know this is not quite the case in question because we arn't talking about mufti, but i still feel that its important to have some identity as a nurse even if the reality is that patients see us as gloryfied trolly dollys. I am a nurse and i'm proud to be a nurse and feel that we should look like nurses in the clinical area.

Sluice

sknn said:
Sluicy D - I'm not sure why you would lose your identity as a nurse if you wore barrack or working dress (or scrubs). You would still have to wear a name badge that said 'Maj SD, Nursing Sister' or whatever,

OOOH that was a funny one...even funnier that one day it might come true....It'd be a cold dark day in hell mind you,

Love you sluicey, despite what everyone else says about you.

Scrubs are the way to go. Any of you who have worked at RCDM will have seen the snazzy green scrubs that are worn by military ranks in A&E, Burns etc. They have all the practicality of tunic and trousers (if not more so), but are different to the civvy scrubs so as to differentiate between civvis and Mob. They are bound to be a lot cheaper than the cr@p that's being issued this year.

One of the reasons for introducing the new uniforms was to reduce the amount of different uniforms worn by mob pers, which seemed to scare the civvy nurses. The aforementioned scrubs are all the same, the only difference being the rank tabs. mission achieved. Jobs a good 'un.

medman82 said:
sknn said:
Sluicy D - I'm not sure why you would lose your identity as a nurse if you wore barrack or working dress (or scrubs). You would still have to wear a name badge that said 'Maj SD, Nursing Sister' or whatever,

OOOH that was a funny one...even funnier that one day it might come true....It'd be a cold dark day in hell mind you,

Love you sluicey, despite what everyone else says about you.

Medman shame on you........
Tell me more about what the others say about me!!!!

The reason blues are worn by every tom dick and harry is not just one of cost for unlimited outfits and footwear (each time its soiled - changed, leave the wd/dept - changed etc..ward staff, A&E staff, Theatre staff, ITU staff = mucho sets of blues and laundry), but also nurses uniforms are an identity, everyone dressed in blues then no-one (patients, visitors etc..) would know who did what, after all youd not be able to sew on name badges or have any badges pinned to your blues.

Filbert Fox said:
The reason blues are worn by every tom dick and harry is not just one of cost for unlimited outfits and footwear (each time its soiled - changed, leave the wd/dept - changed etc..ward staff, A&E staff, Theatre staff, ITU staff = mucho sets of blues and laundry), but also nurses uniforms are an identity, everyone dressed in blues then no-one (patients, visitors etc..) would know who did what, after all youd not be able to sew on name badges or have any badges pinned to your blues.

The scrubs on issue to RCDM are treated the same as the standard uniform, i.e. a limited number issued, uniforms taken home and washed etc. They are worn in and out of the department and are not put into communal washing like the civvy blues. Each set of scrubs is issued to the individual for them and them alone, so sewing name badges etc doesn't present a problem. They are treated the same way as normal uniforms, the only real reason they are worn in these departments as opposed to normal uniform, is that they are more comfortable than the standard kit, and it gives a bit of departmental identity to the wearer. Theatre staff wear the normal civvy blues. Makes me laugh sometimes when I see the military staff running around in nicely ironed scrubs. If the wearing of this uniform is not a problem for these departments, where is the problem with issuing it to other ones?

Identity is nice and all, but what about our identity as soldiers?

So do the nursing staff have to take all issued blues into work every day? they would have to because they wouldnt know how many times they would have to change due to soiling.

Where do they get their funding from to pay for the blues? The purse strings for the MDHUs are held at DMETA now and they wont pay for them, the NHS dont issue blues and it is this trusts policy that only Theatres, ITU and A&E wear them so they are hardly likely to buy them for the military to wear.

BigMac said:
Surely the identity of our soldiers will all but disappear if all military staff are wearing blues! The new nursing uniforms may not be firm favourites amongst our staff but at least they are a uniform that show that the wearer is in the military complete with name and rank badges sewn on.

BigMac said:
Filbert Fox said:

The scrubs on issue to RCDM are treated the same as the standard uniform, i.e. a limited number issued, uniforms taken home and washed etc. They are worn in and out of the department and are not put into communal washing like the civvy blues. Each set of scrubs is issued to the individual for them and them alone, so sewing name badges etc doesn't present a problem. They are treated the same way as normal uniforms, the only real reason they are worn in these departments as opposed to normal uniform, is that they are more comfortable than the standard kit, and it gives a bit of departmental identity to the wearer. Theatre staff wear the normal civvy blues. Makes me laugh sometimes when I see the military staff running around in nicely ironed scrubs. If the wearing of this uniform is not a problem for these departments, where is the problem with issuing it to other ones?

Hence the reason for a nurses uniiform that not only identifies us as nurses but also as military nurses ie rank and corps insignia etc thus ensuring making everyone aware that we are Military nurses and not cleaners, porters etc which could be the case if we wore hospital blues like everyother tom dick and harry

Filbert Fox said:
BigMac said:
Surely the identity of our soldiers will all but disappear if all military staff are wearing blues! The new nursing uniforms may not be firm favourites amongst our staff but at least they are a uniform that show that the wearer is in the military complete with name and rank badges sewn on.

I don't know if you have seen the scrubs at RCDM, but they are made with the RCDM logo on the top pocket, they are a different colour from the civvy scrubs (dark green as opposed to blue), and they are fitted with rank tabs on the front a-la 95s. As for the "what if it gets covered in cr@p' argument, the scrubs are currently issued to A&E in RCDM, who are frequently covered in more stuff than the average nurse on a ward, and they are able to cope with no problems. Surely this would be easier for a ward nurse as they will only have to bring in the same number of uniforms that they do at the minute?

I am not advocating wearing theatre blues, the scrubs that I describe are higher quality and purpose made, and are on current issue to military staff at RCDM. They make it very easy to differentiate between military staff and civvy staff, yet still be practical enough to wear with no problems.

This seems to be a very sound approach to this problem. They both identify the wearer as a clinician as well as military, and are very comfortable and practical. The new issue unform makes us look like OTs, physios, radiographers, ECG techs or every other member of clinical staff who wear tunic and trousers. Indeed at a glance it is hard to tell that the uniform is military at all.

BigMac said:
I don't know if you have seen the scrubs at RCDM,..........

The RCDM green scrubs were a one off for RCDM, are very good kit, but very expensive and were not subject to the normal procedures for acquiring new uniform. It is very unlikely that anyone outside Birmingham will get them, especially now that there is a tri-Service nursing uniform. However little anyone thinks of it, the new uniform will be worn with corps badges and rank slides on the shoulders, so there should be no problem in identifying military people.